Laptop recommendations

RickG16

My current one is close to biting the dust...

I just use it for work... mostly programs such as Excel, PowePoint etc. I don't watch movies on it or stream etc or play games on it.

Can anyone recommend a good mid price laptop? Preferably with a decent size screen rather than a 'notebook'?

Not sure of your price level, if you also want one of the very light laptops look at acer swift.

I bought swift 5 18 months ago.

Had to get very lightweight.

Very impressed with it.

My model 15 inch screen SF515-51T, 25,000 baht discount price. chip i5 1.6 Ghz,4 core 8 processor.

8 GB ram 500 GB HD.

Note: no cd rom. But has 2 USB, 1 USB type C and 1 HDMI.

Next model up was just new with SSD was far more expensive. I bought an extra 500GB SSD to fit in spare port. I need a lot of memory for record files, and fast.

Best to get an SSD, the speed difference is amazing.

I checked and cannot see the same model 5, most now swift 7, but there are the swift 3 that are cheaper in price. May be nearer your price range.

Check and compare with others.

There is SF314 (14 inch screen) with 512 GB SSD. I see about 23,000 baht. Not sure if it has all the same ports.

There also is a SF 316 bigger screen.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I have got round to buying one.....

Any reviews or thoughts on the 

HP ProBook 440 G8-7Y6TU ?

That would be a No from me:

11th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor

Windows 10 Home 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro for business

14" diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), narrow bezel, anti-glare, 250 nits, 45% NTSC

4 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (1 x 4 GB)

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD

Modern design for today’s workstyles

Intel® UHD Graphics

2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (1 charging, 1 power); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4); 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 AC power

3/3/3 Warranty A/P

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I have got round to buying one.....

Any reviews or thoughts on the 

HP ProBook 440 G8-7Y6TU ?

good one, they are all great actually, no point to compare them

just buy the brand you like, and take the screen size you need

the rest is at par, it's a perfect competition industry in the low-mid size price range

Ok 

so I had an Acer Aspire for so long , I cant even remember how long. Certainly over 10 years and would have lasted another 10 if it had not thrown it against the wall for something unrelated to the Laptop.

Anyway, having been out of the computer market for a while and not knowing what from what, I also started a thread, and got some good advice.

Then I went out and got another Acer Aspire and I am glad I did. 

First. get at least 8 GB RAM. with win 11 in the pipeline you want to get something that would handle win 11 and hopefully 12 LOL

Second: get a large SSD hard drive!!! my previous laptop had an optical one, and what a difference. The SSD drive  is lightening fast . The computer starts in 3 second.  

Third: if you are like me, up early and the wife is still sleeping , and you don't want to turn the light on, get a laptop with a lighted keyboard. 

And lastly, get as much of a processor as you can afford, You are going to have this laptop for a while and you want it to meet the challenges software would pose 8-10 years from now. 

All these requirement were met with my new Acer Aspire 5 .  19,900 bht , 15 inch monitor, AMD Ryzen5 processor,  500gb SSD drive , backlit keyboard, I probably would could have got it for 1,000 baht less at Lazada, but I would have waited 3-4 days and would not have personal service, As it is, at out local store ,  they loaded all the software for me while I waited at the store, and recovered all my files from the other laptop that was not operational.  

Good Luck

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

good one, they are all great actually, no point to compare them

just buy the brand you like, and take the screen size you need

the rest is at par, it's a perfect competition industry in the low-mid size price range

Nonsense.....

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Sorry, I didn’t spot the “Out of Stock”, they seem to be available on Shoppee & Lazada depending on your view of buying from there.

Check Tohome.com there is an offer there. And quick delivery in Thailand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Out of interest what don't you like about it? Just ordered one but I guess everyone has different priorities ????

Unless it's for your business and there is a three year on-site warranty, cancel.

Just from memory, you are sacrificing, CPU, screen resolution, RAM.

i3 as opposed to i5

HD as opposed to Full HD

4GB as opposed to 8GB

256 GB storage as opposed to 512GB

What were you thinking??!!

Edited by Bruno123

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

Unless it's for your business and there is a three year on-site warranty, cancel.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Low resolution. If the pictures you took with your camera phone were of that resolution, you would throw it away.

Less fitting on the screen at any one time.

Movies are regularly released in 4k format,, you would still be on HD. Not even on Full HD. In other words you would be at least twelve years behind the curve.

In 2009 the most popular resolution for a computer monitor was 1920p x 1080p(Full HD).

The HP screen would be limited to 720p. Why would you do that unless the HP was offering some other advantage?

You are paying extra for the business credentials. In other words it's a device that businesses may obtain for their staff for three years whilst the on-site warranty is in play. Not really a consumer device.

confirms what I have written.

I'm very happy with it for 17k. Don't use my laptop for watching anything (TV anyone?). And it will mostly be used for work tasks such as Excel etc. Priorities for me were price, size/weight, ports and durability

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

I'm very happy with it for 17k. Don't use my laptop for watching anything (TV anyone?). And it will mostly be used for work tasks such as Excel etc. Priorities for me were price, size/weight, ports and durability

What did you not like about the ACER...since it was you who asked about it in the first place?

Just now, Bruno123 said:

What did you not like about the ACER...since it was you who asked about it in the first place?

Some reviews were questioning its build quality and poor battery life.

Also the whole eco-friendly angle is BS apparently (although for my sins, this is probably less important to me)

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Some reviews were questioning its build quality and poor battery life.

Also the whole eco-friendly angle is BS apparently (although for my sins, this is probably less important to me)

If it suits your needs then no need to justify. Can keep it as useful info for others looking.

40 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Low resolution. If the pictures you took with your camera phone were of that resolution, you would throw it away.

Less fitting on the screen at any one time.

Movies are regularly released in 4k format,, you would still be on HD. Not even on Full HD. In other words you would be at least twelve years behind the curve.

In 2009 the most popular resolution for a computer monitor was 1920p x 1080p(Full HD).

The HP screen would be limited to 720p. Why would you do that unless the HP was offering some other advantage?

complete nonsense for buying a simple laptop sending emails and browsing the web ????

Edited by GrandPapillon