Thailand reports highs for new COVID-19 cases and recoveries

webfact

Just now, Macrohistory said:

I'm betting most of us know someone or know of someone who was discharged from the hospital even though they were still sick.  Maybe given a couple of weeks worth of favipiravir and paracetamol and told to take it easy.  If the authorities are counting these people as "recovered," they they're juking the stats.  (Which would be s-h-o-c-k-i-n-g!  55)

Yes sir I can attest to that as the GF's daughter was released and sent home with meds to last her for 2 weeks.  She is coming to the end of her home isolation, will be tested once more as well as given a chest x-ray, and then she wants to come back home to us from her fathers house.....time will tell.  She had lost her sense of smell and her ability to taste, poor 7 year old little girl, she was also on supplemental oxygen. 

• Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

I'm betting most of us know someone or know of someone who was discharged from the hospital even though they were still sick.  Maybe given a couple of weeks worth of favipiravir and paracetamol and told to take it easy.  If the authorities are counting these people as "recovered," they they're juking the stats.  (Which would be s-h-o-c-k-i-n-g!  55)

This is the point. Putting covid aside, people are discharged every day after procedures in a hospital to begin the process of recovery at home. Rehab.

A Thai friend tested positive for covid, spent time in hospital (2 weeks from positive test, not all in hospital as bed was not available despite breathing issues etc). 

Now asks me why he was sent home and told to "isolate" for 14 days. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is the point. Putting covid aside, people are discharged every day after procedures in a hospital to begin the process of recovery at home.

Well, hopefully not while they are still contagious and will be returning to join other family members..... a plaster cast on a limb is ok!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Do you know the answer to the question? 

Yes I have posted on other occasion what the proceedure was for the four people I know who have been admitted positive and 6/7 weeks later discharged.( Not just guessing)!

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well, hopefully not while they are still contagious and will be returning to join other family members..... a plaster cast on a limb is ok!

Perhaps discharged with pain control meds and advised to keep arm elevated.

Don't think along with advice to self isolate for 14 days. 

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes sir I can attest to that as the GF's daughter was released and sent home with meds to last her for 2 weeks.  She is coming to the end of her home isolation, will be tested once more as well as given a chest x-ray, and then she wants to come back home to us from her fathers house.....time will tell.  She had lost her sense of smell and her ability to taste, poor 7 year old little girl, she was also on supplemental oxygen. 

There seem to be many examples of people regaining their smell and taste over their recovery. Hopefully she does. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

If you toss a coin one million times, empirical evidence clearly states that "over time", the result will be 50% heads and 50% tails to within a very narrow margin of a small fraction of a standard deviation

However, there will inevitably be sequences within that million events where say 80% of outcomes were in favor of one outcome, and other sequences where they were 80% in favor of the opposite outcome.

If you analyze these narrow band of sequences the deviation from the known normal distribution will be huge, and the more narrow bands of data you analyze, the greater the statistical deviation.

Measuring narrow bands of data and knowingly representing this data as a normal distribution over time is popular with IPCC, IMF, WHO, and school children.

The table of Sars-cov-2 data provided in this article (and others like it from every country in the world) is statistically useless.

Pure ‘Two up”players would agree!

• Haha 1

Now I'm confused. The headline number splits the daily total into 22,407 new community infections, plus 375 new cases in prison, giving a grand total of 22,782. That's consistent with the graphic below. However, that graphic also says there were 3,673 cases found by rapid ATK, which I guess is the rapid antigen test you can do at home, So why aren't those 3,673 new cases added to the total found by the PCR tests, to give an overall grand total of 26,455 new cases?

image.png.c511b042dfaf8fa81dc8aa0717f6e9

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Now I'm confused. The headline number splits the daily total into 22,407 new community infections, plus 375 new cases in prison, giving a grand total of 22,782. That's consistent with the graphic below. However, that graphic also says there were 3,673 cases found by rapid ATK, which I guess is the rapid antigen test you can do at home, So why aren't those 3,673 new cases added to the total found by the PCR tests, to give an overall grand total of 26,455 new cases?

image.png.c511b042dfaf8fa81dc8aa0717f6e9

No confusion really, they won't add them as an actual case unless PCR tested positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

The peak has reached group will probably call it an artifact. They will be along soon.

i've been paying pretty close attention to the 'peak callers' and the last one i remember was a fine, honorable gentleman that has the patent on 'artifact'.   that was a long time ago.  maybe i missed a few along the way.  but i consider myself to be one of the most 'rosy' at this point.

i'm in the peak is coming soon camp.  following the projection of a thai official who suggested a peak in approx two weeks.  that was nearly two weeks ago.  let's see how things look mid week (due to odd weekend counts) next week.  i'm focused more on deaths than cases.  we still have alot more deaths to go on the way down, but maybe we'll see a peak in the 7 day, daily average over the next week or two.

3 minutes ago, buick said:

i've been paying pretty close attention to the 'peak callers' and the last one i remember was a fine, honorable gentleman that has the patent on 'artifact'.   that was a long time ago.  maybe i missed a few along the way.  but i consider myself to be one of the most 'rosy' at this point.

i'm in the peak is coming soon camp.  following the projection of a thai official who suggested a peak in approx two weeks.  that was nearly two weeks ago.  let's see how things look mid week (due to odd weekend counts) next week.  i'm focused more on deaths than cases.  we still have alot more deaths to go on the way down, but maybe we'll see a peak in the 7 day, daily average over the next week or two.

All one can do is hope for the best, while also being prepared for the worst.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Yes I have posted on other occasion what the proceedure was for the four people I know who have been admitted positive and 6/7 weeks later discharged.( Not just guessing)!

So are you saying that the recovery numbers in the statistics are based on when the patients are discharged? Do you have facts or are you just guessing? 

12 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So are you saying that the recovery numbers in the statistics are based on when the patients are discharged? Do you have facts or are you just guessing? 

Have you been in/out hospital here? Did you get discharged? Yes. Same procedure with these patients. Are you suggesting hospitals throw out these proceedures now? 

On 7/29/2021 at 8:52 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.  How does expressing some hope that today's slightly lower figures may mark (note: "may") the peak have any bearing on compassion.  What do you hope for?  Hopefully you don't hope that the figures start increasing again; that wouldn't be very compassionate.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Most cases today are again in #Bangkok (4,856), followed by Samut Sakhon (1,779), Chonburi (1,739), Samut Prakan (1,736), Nonthaburi (729), Sisaket (623), Nakhon Pathom (621), and Ubon (526) * Numbers include inmates #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1425623012829585415

Is there a Link or Website for individual provinces? Thanks

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 1,666 new cases and 11 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (416), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (204), and Si Racha (544). 19,704 patients are now in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1425606514874613760

Further details:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/12/chonburi-announces-1-666-new-covid-19-cases-with-11-deaths/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Have you been in/out hospital here? Did you get discharged? Yes. Same procedure with these patients. Are you suggesting hospitals throw out these proceedures now? 

Look, we're talking about statistics here. The question is what the daily official recovery number is based on. You claimed to have facts, where are they? Or are you just guessing based on your anecdotes? 

I am confused.

If today was a record at 22,782, and if people stay 14-days in hospital on average, how is it possible that 23,649 were released from hospital? 

14-days ago, hospital admittance was 17,669. 

(15-days ago was 16,533 and 13-days ago was 17,345, just for comparison)

So where were the other 5,000 that were released yesterday come from?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"15,588 people in Bangkok, tested positive for COVID-19 using Antigen Test Kits (ATK), out of 141,516 (11%) screened between ..."

thats 11% of those screened, and it sounds as if 70% of them had the virus. Most asymptomatic.

That must be a concern.

Getting more rapid antigen tests done may show just how well spread the virus is. The situation could be worse than most of us hope.

24 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Think your missing the point.  My GF's daughter, 7 years old was sent home from the hospital still sick, but not needing treatment except for the Favipirvar and the paracetamol.  She was to isolate for 14 days at the end she was to be retested and then also given a chest x-ray to ensure she had cleared.  She was not discharged as being healthy nor given a medical certificate they give you when they truly discharge you from care.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Look, we're talking about statistics here. The question is what the daily official recovery number is based on. You claimed to have facts, where are they? Or are you just guessing based on your anecdotes? 

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It can neither be based on negative followup tests or discharge from hospital. And of course impossible to follow up every case. It has to be some kind of algorithm with median time from onset to recovery is used, like 2 weeks for mild and 8 weeks for severe-(just a guess) 

You had it right in your opening comment but chose to go with the algo rubbish (guess)! You don,t give enough respect to the health care industry here either!

30 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Non-infectious, and not requiring hospitalization... is the typical meaning worldwide... not sure if Thailand has an additional spin on that (not necessarily fully recovered, and may never be if they were in the unlucky group with 'long covid').

What  recoveries means here in Thailand most likely is you still test positive with either no symptoms or mild symptoms and can fully recover at home, but if you are still Covid positive you CAN still spread it. In the USA if you tested positive at hospital but you had no symptoms or mild ones you would be sent home and told to Quarantine for 14 days. I know because it happened to my 30 year old son. Its another misleading statement when they say people released recovered.