Thai PM advised to stop the export of AstraZeneca vaccine for use domestically

snoop1130

Totally agree ! No export of AZ till Thailand is vaccinated .

Perhaps little problem with Astrazeneca and with all south east Asean Countries wich counts on Thailands production and delivery , but ehi problems are made to be solved , right ?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

India did this during their outbreak.  Thailand should do the same.  Its a national emergency.

You obviously know nothing about international agreements regarding the manufacture and distribution of a vaccine that doesn't belong to Thailand.

Their already battered international image would totally collapse and they would go from ' can't be trusted ' to ' pariah status ' within a week.

• Like 2

Grandmaster Prayut should exercise his powers, unless him and his bagmen can gain or benefit he is not excersising anything, he has had more than enough time to get vaccines and place orders from suppliers but choose not to and when he said he a contract had been signed that proved to be a lie, and thinks now he can break a contract, the only thing he excersises is his mouth but unfortunately every time he does only miss truths and lies come out

16 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

If international supply contracts are violated, this will certainly not be without consequences.

This would be very interesting because I am sure that the ingredients they need to make the vaccine are not locally produced. So AZ simply says ok and stops delivery of products and voids the contracts.

Forget about international think ASEAN  how do you think the Philippines, Indonesia and the rest of the ASEAN countries that are getting AZ will feel when their source dries up.

Imagine another Thai business in the Future trying to get a contract let alone what it will do to SB and it's shareholders who I am sure will be sued by everyone under the sun.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha should exercise his powers under the National Security Act to force Siam BioScience, the local producer of the AstraZeneca vaccine, to suspend the export of the vaccine

and how can Prayut do that without trouble as the owner of SB is the one we can't name... he can't and will not, it is what it is and business will resume as normal

Just now, Mavideol said:

and how can Prayut do that without trouble as the owner of SB is the one we can't name... he can't and will not, it is what it is and business will resume as normal

Just now, Mavideol said:

yep

I'm following Thailand's newest game with interest.
"the game against the world."

Who will win there? Thailand's reputation is international close to a crash landing. Can it get any worse?

My reputation to the world. Let them fall and invest the energy in countries that want to go up.

It's not worth the effort here.

--game over--

i don't know why i write here. i see now over 13 years this <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Prayut has no control over the AZ production or contracted deliveries.

Prayut can call a state of emergency and do about anything he wants to. However, shipping overseas brings a lot of T money. I heard that an order went out that all first shots had to be Sinovac. More Chinese T money. Sinovac is like Chinese salt water. If you want to get vaccinated now only Sinovac is available for the the first jab. 

Obviously many of the posters on here do not know the circumstances behind the acceptance 

of outside contracts by AZ.

The good Dr must know that  the PM & Health Ministry had no influence on the decision.

The decisions made by Siam Bio Science came from "above"

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well the perception is that otherwise they shaft their own people. I am not sure how accurate that would be, but exporting vaccines as local people die does little for the sentiment of them.

Classic double-bind.

He and Thai citizens, not to mention foreigners, are screwed.

Incompetence and greed are a potent combination for failure.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

You obviously know nothing about international agreements regarding the manufacture and distribution of a vaccine that doesn't belong to Thailand.

Their already battered international image would totally collapse and they would go from ' can't be trusted ' to ' pariah status ' within a week.

And you obviously dont read the news very often.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56513371

2 hours ago, club said:

Sure they can try, but they cant avoid being sued for breach of contract. Emergency or not. Thailand would be basically stealing vaccines from other Asian countries that paid for them. They also risk AZ leaving Thailand and producing somewhere else. 

Worked for India

2 hours ago, club said:

Sure they can try, but they cant avoid being sued for breach of contract. Emergency or not. Thailand would be basically stealing vaccines from other Asian countries that paid for them. They also risk AZ leaving Thailand and producing somewhere else. 

Breach of contract isn't really a problem for AZ:

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/56483766.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16288349019542&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=Von %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2F56483766

• Haha 1

As much as I would personally like to see the Thai gov't intervene and block / limit the export of AZ to help so many friends in Thailand, I think such a move would be a disaster.  Short term, this would be a terrible disservice to Thailand's neighbors, and longer term it would put into question the honesty and integrity of Thailand as a reliable neighbor and a reasonable partner for any future endeavors.  The Thai government had the opportunity over a year ago to request the necessary AZ allocation for Thailand, and clearly they didn't do this appropriately.  Sadly, they need to live with that decision as far as the vaccine produced locally is concerned; they should not be changing this if it puts into peril the commitments already made to other countries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surasak said:

True enough, but as the discussion is about Thailand. I don't see your point.

I for one see the point the member was making . I also know  you learn from comparing what other countries do . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

I hope they actually go ahead and do this, they should ban all export of any vaccines produced in Thailand until everyone in Thailand is vaccinated.

The result of doing this is going to be highly amusing. It will finish them off but I think it will be worth it.

Maybe Thailand's vaccine exports are far fewer than their imports, they stop exporting what few vaccines they produce then other countries do the same to Thailand? What ever they do they are up a smelly creek without a paddle due to the total incompetence of the powers to be.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

what it will do to SB and it's shareholders

All but two (2) shares are owned by the CPB. The Chairman (Air Chief Marshal Satitpong Sukvimol) owns one (1) share, and some senior retired RTP official owns one (1) share. I assume three is the minimum required.

1 minute ago, baipaibkk said:

do you see the wounds of the countries waiting for the vaccine from thailand

You appear a little short on what is needed . I was referring  to the quality of Thai Airways shares

44 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Completely different situation, Thailand is talking about taking doses that have been paid for and allocated to other countries. Thailand would be breaching the contract not AZ. AZ is delivering what was signed in their contract with AZ. 40% or 5 to 6 mil a month. If Thailand wanted more a month they would have to re negotiate the contract.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am not sure Thai government has the power to do this. They have a contractual arrangement with Astra Zeneca which specified how much vaccine is to be supplied to Thailand and how much is for export and it would need the consent of both parties to modify this. They can't unilaterally change this without risk of voiding the contract altogether.

Unfortunately the Thai government's initial request to AZ was for an absurdly low quantity for domestic use.

They can and will do anything they feel like doing due to their arrogance. However! Doing so would have serious ramifications going forward. Who (internationally) would ever sign a contract with this government? The international community will look at Thailand as a whole and say "if this is how these people do business, then no thanks".

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

I hope they actually go ahead and do this, they should ban all export of any vaccines produced in Thailand until everyone in Thailand is vaccinated.

The result of doing this is going to be highly amusing. It will finish them off but I think it will be worth it.

I don’t think it’s so easy as this .. I read that AZ need to supply some base product to enable the vaccine to be produced. If Thailand decide to go back on its agreement then AZ can just pull the supply of base. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I don’t think it’s so easy as this .. I read that AZ need to supply some base product to enable the vaccine to be produced. If Thailand decide to go back on its agreement then AZ can just pull the supply of base. 

What's Thailand going to do , file a lawsuit on AZ if that happened

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

And you obviously dont read the news very often.

India was and is the biggest producer of vaccines in the world and is at the forefront of vaccine production and has been way before Covid. Maybe because of this, they have special status or a different status or agreement to Thailand. Maybe, India's existing framework of rules and regulations regarding vaccines, was used, I don't know.

What we do know is Thailand was selected to be the hub of production and distribution for South East Asian nations by Astra Zenica. The company, Siam Bio which was selected had never done a project like this before. They got the rights to produce Astra Zenica under license with various, and a huge number of conditions attached.

It was made very clear at the time and based on the Thai governments needs and forecasts what they would and could produce, what was for domestic use and what was for other neighbors in the region, and what was for Covax programmes and other uses.

Also, bearing in mind, vaccines are being group bought under the Covax scheme, also under varied and different bilateral agreements, some for profit others for humanitarian reasons, and so forth. These agreements differ by which country is purchasing as do the terms and conditions.

One thing is for sure, if India was breaking international agreements on production it will come out just like any other country, if it is in breach.

It wasn't so long ago the EU was trying to blackmail, sue and pressurize Astra Zenica in the rollout saying they were giving the UK special treatment, and when documents were produced that differed, it seems to have gone quiet.

When this is over, there will be a reckoning and that includes where the virus actually originated and who dropped the ball..

• Like 1

It baffle my mind as to why hasnt Bioscience expand their production capacity or even plan to expand their capacity in view of increasing demand. SK Bioscience of South Korea with Astrazeneca agreement has announced that they will spend USD132 million to ramp up production capacity. SK Bioscience is not connected to Siam Bioscience. 

• Like 1