Prominent Thai doctor says lockdown measures aren’t working, tighter ones won’t work either, ease them to save the economy and consider an export ban on Covid19 vaccines and greatly boost vaccination program

snoop1130

Look on the bright side too.

Despite all the critics and the undoubted delays Thailand for a low income nation has fared pretty well.

Even vaccine delivery is ahead of rich places like Bahamas and many European places Ukraine, Bosnia Herzegovina Georgia and Armenia, even EU Bulgaria has managed about the same level and fewer first doses. So well done to all the Thai Drs nurses,social workers,health staff , village assistants and truckers keeping it all going.In my village teh sick are being fed and supplied by neighbours.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

Death totals per million the ultimate statistic that none can hide is deaths.

Thailand is dozens of times better than some states in the Americas and far better than US and most of Europe.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Of course things could or should be better they always can but many here would have possibly died in their country of origin.

Deaths per million in latest update in the link

world average 557

Peru       5888

Hungary 3118

UK           1914

THAILAND 99

VIETNAM    49

USA         1909

BEST WISHES , TAKE PRECAUTIONS GET VAXXED

A FIRST 'DATE' WITH COVID MAY BE YOUR LAST

download.jpg

Edited by RubbaJohnny
typo
  • Like 2

No, wrong. It is not the lockdown which is not working. It is Prayuth and Anutin who are not working. Tighter restrictions on business are the last thing in the world the Thai people need.

What about the road blacks that were promised? 88 of them, if I remember the top cop creep bragging. If anything or anyplace should have been locked down, it should have been all highways and roads leading OUT of Bangkok. DUH! You don't impose all these sadistic restrictions on the common man, and then avoid taking the simplest and most sensible precautions. 

You know what that is called? Dumb, reckless, callous, and failed policy. 

Prayuth should resign today. I know. I should have taken the vaccine thing more seriously. I know, I should have had a more qualified health minister. I know, my pathological fear of the optics of a lockdown are causing many more cases than need be. And I know, I should have been more diligent with the borders, I should have cracked down on corrupt immigration officials, and kept my promise to fight corruption, and I should have used my army soldiers for something. Anything. I forget there are 550,000 of them. They would have been perfect for controlling the border. And they would have actually been doing something to benefit the people and they would have been protecting the nation, for a change. I also forget that is why we have soldiers. How very dumb of me. It appears I am nowhere near as smart as I think I am. I do realize I should have and could have done better.

Do you want me to resign now? I know that is what you are thinking. I probably should. It sure would be the right thing to do, but since I rarely ever do the right thing, I wouldn't even know how do make that happen. Just call me a failure. I know it is true. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Latest reports are that it is now 45 mins to get vaccinated at MedPark, I read things have improved greatly from the 2 1/2 hrs and overcrowding suffered on the 10th .

great news Andy, didn't get much sleep last night. My gf and I have left the condo like 3-4 times since this wave began in April. It will be a great weight off my shoulders once this is done. Thanks for the heads up !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

In a bid to keep numbers low, unless Oz and NZ get their people vaccinated enmasse they’ll be locking down for years. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/herd-immunity-is-mythical-with-the-covid-delta-variant-experts-say.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Mail

I agree.  The above link is to an article explaining why herd immunity may never be reached.  We may never get rid of the Covid virus but vaccines greatly reduce the change of severe cases or hospitalization so we can get on with our lives.

13 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

even EU Bulgaria has managed about the same level and fewer first doses.

EU Bulgaria has lots of anti vaxxers...There are no issues with vaccine procurement, as EU has done the job, they could have vaccinated the whole population, it's just too many people don't want it.Same applies for EU Romania, who sold more than 1 mil Pfizer to Denmark(a country of less than 6 millions), 700.000 to Ireland(population just under 5 million), they have also donated AZ to Vietnam.

Thailand has only escaped, because they closed the country, as we can clearly see, they cannot cope when things are getting serious...no massive testing, no hospitals beds, people dying at home.

• Like 2

As l have said before the curfew is not being adhered too or controlled by the useless Police. Hundreds of cars and motorbikes go past my house, which is in a fairly busy Pattaya side road, every night between 9 pm and 4 am. Haven't seen a cop in 3 months so l don't know where they are or where all these people are going during curfew. Nothing is open so what are they doing ????

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't necessarily agree with the good Dr, if however the government gets their act together and finally gets hold of valid vaccines & not the pile of poo from you know where, then start an aggressive vaccination strategy right across the country then good, and as soon as people have had their 2nd dose of a vaccine that works then they can start to mingle & maybe go back to work a couple of weeks later.

So, mid 2022 then? Maybe.

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

they can start to mingle & maybe go back to work a couple of weeks later.

For millions there is no longer any work, its gone, forget going back in a few weeks, it will be years for many and not at all for some. The economy is crippled. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

Great advice. Can the good doctor advise the Thai govt where immediately it can get hold of these vaccines.

A good start would be signing the 20M dose Pfizer requisition the private hospitals have been begging them to sign for nearly a year. 

• Like 2

Its obvious the doctor never took any classes on the law when he was in School. AZ has contracts with many Asian countries. Siam BioScience knew from the beginning the facility in Thailand would be a home base for Asian countries and not just for Thailand use. Thailand could be in breach of their contract if they force AZ to break contracts to other countries that have already paid . Thai government might want to consult with some real lawyers instead of a doctor before it makes a stupid move like this

• Like 2

Quickly provide and ramp up stable vaccine delivery ( not Sinovac) , and ease restrictions  on some businesses. It will help.

If there has to be a discussion on greater short term AZ retention in Thailand then let it be that, not just a “let’s do it” action.

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

In a bid to keep numbers low, unless Oz and NZ get their people vaccinated enmasse they’ll be locking down for years. 

Can't speak for Australia but no lock downs in NZ currently and hasn't been a national lockdown since early 2020 when the pandemic first arrived. There have been one or two regional ones but all some time ago. No significant community spread for some time and deaths still less than 30 in a population of 5 million. The NZ government has said that they will have the entire adult population who want to be vaccinated jabbed by this years end. You can track progress against target at the below link, they are ahead of target and vaccine delivery seems to be running with the vaccination schedule. 

They changed tack with the all Pfizer rollout this week by increasing the time between 1st and 2nd jabs from 3 to 6 weeks. This was after scientific evidence of more optimized efficacy was shown by doing this. I guess they also would like to get as many people with first injection as possible whilst there is no community transmission, given the difficulties Australia is having at present.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

A thai with a brain... and a statement that makes sense....

Guys, let's face reality, Covid is everywhere in Thailand... Quarantines and lockdowns are just a joke atm.

A quarantine for travelers? seriously? they should be happy anybody is crazy enough to go to a place where Covid is running rampant.

Those measures were poorly thought out and useless considering the porous Asian borders and the hi-sos love of parties, and had no effect at all, but of course the idiots in the government won't listen to the only person making sense. If a concept is smart it must be well above their heads.

• Sad 1

Some wants a lockdown, others don’t. The people are stuck in the middle of confusion: 'which do we have to follow?'

They are now confusing the entire planet.
The virus will take its course no matter what.

Just let people do their daily routine as usual and if they’re feel sick, they will go look for treatment just don’t scared them with the cost.For those who want to get vaccines, give them the vaccines.

So the government must just prepare for those in need of treatment and those who need vaccines rather than testing them seems like useless.
What the government should do is just vaccinate only one dose each for everyone first and see if there are any progress on the vaccination program  before the second shot.
I think most people are not dumb they know how and what to do to protect themselves from this virus because the guidelines have been given by the experts already.

In the past history people did that all the time.
My conclusion is by confusing people, they’re totally look like clowns.

Edited by raccos21

This is dire situation as regards to shortages of vaccines. The government should step up pressure on Astrazeneca to co-license production to other international vaccine manufacturers based in Thailand. Top of my head is Bionet which is a Thai-French fully integrated vaccine manufacturer. There are others. Bioscience is not the only vaccine manufacturer in Thailand; only better connected. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, club said:

Its obvious the doctor never took any classes on the law when he was in School. AZ has contracts with many Asian countries. Siam BioScience knew from the beginning the facility in Thailand would be a home base for Asian countries and not just for Thailand use. Thailand could be in breach of their contract if they force AZ to break contracts to other countries that have already paid . Thai government might want to consult with some real lawyers instead of a doctor before it makes a stupid move like this

You not Thai! How you know?! Only for Thai good! Farang not understand Thai culture!

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This is dire situation as regards to shortages of vaccines. The government should step up pressure on Astrazeneca to co-license production to other international vaccine manufacturers based in Thailand. Top of my head is Bionet which is a Thai-French fully integrated vaccine manufacturer. There are others. Bioscience is not the only vaccine manufacturer in Thailand; only better connected. 

The connection seems to be the problem. 

Doubt any other manufacturers would want to be stepping on those toes. Look how it ended up for Thaksin!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

I put the Sino's under the category of "better than nothing".  If the mRNA's and AZ didn't exist, people would be jumping all over a vaccine that reduced their odds of dying by 50%.  The reality is that the mRNA's are a long way out in Thailand.  The most reasonable course of action would be to jab people with the Sino's they can buy today, then fortify it with mRNA or AZ as soon as it's available.

The biggest fear is that getting the Sino would preclude them from their preferred vaccine in the future.  Either because their name shows up as "fully vaccinated" or because some idiot in gub'ment decides not to order enough mRNA and AZ because they got the Sino's.  Both are easy for the gub'ment to neutralize by declaring the Sino's will be fortified as soon as they get the doses they ordered.  Of course, that means they have to order them.   Not discuss them, not plan them...  

Then instead of 20,000 cases and 200 deaths a day, they can cut it by 50% while waiting on the good stuff.  That's a lot of lives saved, even if it's not all of them.

World health organization strongly advises against mixing vaccines! .....

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You not Thai! How you know?! Only for Thai good! Farang not understand Thai culture!

AZ has contract with other Asian countries to produce vaccines they paid for. So Thai culture is to steal vaccines from other Asian countries that already pay? 

• Haha 1