Thailand’s plant-based COVID-19 vaccine starts human trials

Jonathan Fairfield

In the beginning of the pandemic there were some observations published in the news that smokers were slightly protected against Covid-19 - actually little surprising - but I never saw any follow up stories.

I tried to find some sources, and it seems like it's been a misunderstanding...

A number of recent studies have found low percentages of smokers among COVID-19 patients, causing scientists to conclude that smokers may be protected against SARS-CoV-2 infection. National and international media were interested in this story and we soon began receiving questions about this topic in general practice. In this article, we shed light on the process that resulted in the misinterpretation of observational research by scientists and the media. We also point out the methodological flaws of various studies on which hasty conclusions were based. Finally, we address the role of primary healthcare providers in mitigating the consequences of erroneous claims about a protective effect of smoking.

Source: Nature "Are smokers protected against SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19)? The origins of the myth".

• Like 1

The Covid-19 virus is now likely to be around for a very long time. Any new vaccine is welcome and a plant based one (if it works) is likely to be cheaper and quicker to produce than the laboratory modified DNA etc ones . Let us wait and see..

What kind of b ****it more are we gonna get . You can make all kinds of stupid phrases but chemistry is chemistry . Where ever it comes from is a load of <deleted> . In the end you are making a vaccine which in my textbook , MRNA , inactivated virus , live virus , ...you make or have some kind of proteins in some sort of combo . Proteins are the building blocks of RNA/DNA and since you want to use something which your body can recognize as incoming virus , you need something which replicates it in a less harmful way then the original virus . Were ever the chemicals come from does not matter since you are making something else with it , a process called SYNTHESIS .

You can make water from H2 and O2 , but you can also make water from petroleum or from cheese . In the end the result is the same H2O . Where ever it comes from is pure advertising bull .... .

BTW , if they can make a vaccine , it is always good , but saying ooohhh it's plant based is just like i said before .

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

If successful, the vaccine is expected to become available in Q3 next year.

Sadly it looks like there will still be plenty of unvaccinated adults in Thailand for this to be tried out on.... I might well still be one of them.