Thailand road carnage: Driver escapes death pictured hugging dead friend in wreckage of pick-up

webfact

I believe speed limit is too low and must be reconsidered since 2 people survived. 
when there is no survivor then speed limit is fast enough. 
Thailand has not done any improvement to roads condition, but higher speed limit. 
more deadly accidents on the way, especially when tourists are back. 

4 hours ago, BusyB said:

Should there even be U-turns?

They seem to be at the center of so much carnage ...

In many situations no, there should not be U turns.  Roads in the USA often have signs at the intersections saying No U turn.  Dangerous intersection, blind spots or whatever.  Of course the mentality of going down the road one or two Kms before finding a safe road to turn down or a station to pull into and then pull out of and reverse direction would be too alien to most Thais thinking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If a truck was doing a U-turn it would have been at a snail's pace, yet the pickup speedster didn't notice or was going too fast to react. Might have been talking with his friends and wasn't concentrating. There - that theory hasn't been used on this thread yet. I'm going with that one.

Quite often the trucks stay on the left and then suddenly just go for it, and cut across the lanes. It's not always obvious that they're intending to do an u-turn. And it's the truck drivers' responsibility to check the road is clear before doing such move. My guess is that the pickup driver didn't expect the truck to make the turn, and once realised it it was too late to slow down on time. 

But of course, it could be that he wasn't paying attention - often many accidents like these can be avoided with being alert. 

How tender... If only he'd have thought of that before he decided to drive like an idiot.

The fact he a$$-ended the truck means there is a 99.9% chance he was at fault.

But that's okay, I'm sure the parents of his friends will be totally understanding of the situation.

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

doesn't look like a narrow road !

It isn't the road that is narrow, it is the stupid and dangeroud design of having a U turn in the outside lane (that alone is complete madness) it is the fact that the lorry has to go into the left lane so it can swing around and get into the narrow U turn. Which in many instances at night means the truck is side on across all lanes with no visible lights. Why these idiots cannot design the same type of U turn that is used in places like Spain where there is an exit off the inside labe that then sweeps around and brings the vehicle into a safe spot at the side of the carriageway and the U turn becomes like a crossroads, with the U turning vehicle off the main carriage way

9 hours ago, smedly said:

very sad - another idiot driving in Thailand likely surfing FB and speeding 

If you allowed U-turns like that on limited access expressways in the UK or USA, their fatalities would skyrocket, too.  All the skill in the world can't compensate for poor road design and lack of enforcement.

Edited by impulse

Based on the reported story I'm going to take a stab as to what I think happened based on being a commercial driver with endorsement to teach prior to arriving in Thailand over 15 years driven all over Thailand much of what I've learn back home I never knew it would keep me alive today in Thailand daily while I drive either in my car or motorbike.

I trained my son how to ride a bike and started two years ago started to train him to drive the agreement it will take as long as it takes when he pass my personal written, skill and road test only then will he be able to visit the DLT to obtain his license one of the many things I educate him is get the big picture as to what is going on around you.

Although the DLT head a year or two back stated there is nothing wrong with Thai road and their designs there is plenty but regardless of the short falls of their road designs if educated properly one can still navigate around them safely.

Here is what I think happened, the commercial driver needed to make a turn around so he starts to move over to the RIGHT now once he is there as he comes to the turn around area in able to navigate around completely without having to stop and back up he starts but DOESN'T completely take the right lane instead he takes the second lane from the far right. Whether a signal was provided or whether the pick up saw it is unknown? Truck driver do this so they can completely make the RIGHT U-turn so the back of the commercial vehicle has enough clearance not to hit the center island this is what commercial drivers refer as the banana affect the rear of the truck closes in quickly this is a major point commercial drivers are taught in the West watch for pedestrians standing too close off the sidewalk or cyclist trying to squeeze through.

Most likely this truck driver not taking at least half of the far right lane to make the U- allowed the full right lane left open I'm guessing the pickup was on the far right lane going pedal to the medal never antisapate the truck was making a right turn when it did the speed the pickup was going it was lights out! 

Whether you are in a commercial vehicle or not I tell my son never give enough room for a bike or car while turning enough space they can under or overtake you if you provide enough space for it to happen it will! 

Just my take RIP to the kids!

Edited by thailand49

7 hours ago, Gold Star said:

The Thai fascination with these deadly U-turns instead of turning at intersections is crazy. So many times, I have had to apply full brake to avoid someone pulling out in front of me starting a U-turn. Worse, are the large trailer trucks pulling out on a U-turn that think that their size gives them the right of way. In this case, it seems the truck must have tried a wide turn crossing in front of the Isuzu's path rather than starting the turn from the inside lane. Drive in a way that they are always trying to kill you here in every way possible, as your life here in reality is cheap and worthless. The carnage continues...

Not nitpicking but......on a four or six lane carriageway you would normally do the u-turn from the outside lane ( fast lane or what you would like to call it ) which is nearest to the central reservation. OK for a car or pickup, but when you are in a HGV it is just not possible to turn in the same radius as a car or pickup so they would do the u-turn from a lane further away from the central reservation which in all fairness is suicidal but the HGV driver has no choice ( other than drive maybe several miles to the next intersection ). For the 6 wheeler to end up on its side is a fairly monumental task bearing in mind it weighs about ten tonnes empty. Laden that would increase to 24 or 26 tonnes. Such a tragedy and I am not going to apportion blame but the pictures speak volumes.

Twice today on a dual carriageway road, A truck in the left lane ( iam in the right) indicated to pull over over left onto the hard shoulder..... then suddenly swung hard right to do a u-turn into the oncoming lanes.

Both time my ABS got a work out to avoid... both times I was doing the speed limit.

RIP to the deceased, I can see why this happened and lay no blame on the driver.

37 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I can see why this happened and lay no blame on the driver.

Do you think he was travelling at the speed limit?  Look at the damage to his vehicle, and that's with some deceleration prior to collision.  

9 hours ago, chakatee said:

Luckily you were there as eye witness.

i have a feeling Smedly is right. Way tooooooo manyyyyyyy drivers are texting or scrolling with their smartphones while driving !
Remember the young girl several years ago who caused MANY deathts in a minivan while she was driving and texting on one of BKK highways ? The inpact was so big that the minivan landed vertical against one of the poles of a bridge. i recall the young driver girl who caused it was never sentenced as she was hi-so daughter.

4 weeks ago i drove with taxi from Ptty to BKK. The driver was texting and scrolling ALL THE TIME while the phone was lying on his left rump. i asked him twice to be careful, but they just dont give a <deleted>...

• Like 1

If a vehicle can't do a U turn without staying in the U turn lane, it shouldn't be allowed to do it. A couple of days ago I was in a mini bus inwhich the driver had to brake hard due to an HGV doing a U turn from the other carriage way blocking all 3 lanes on our side. Even though fast moving vehicles were approaching he didn't wait for a gap. Luckily our driver and those around us were paying attention. 

No point blaming either driver for the deaths, blame the law that allowed it to happen. Drivers will never concentrate all the time. We all glance away from the road regularly even if it is just to check the speedo and we go over the limit at times. That is why road design and rules have to allow for that.

Both drivers could have been driving within the law and this could still happen. If the lorry was banned from making the U turn (as it should be), either it would not have happened or it would be clear the lorry driver was at fault and could be prosecuted. 

As we move to self driving vehicles, the old way of forcing drivers to avoid other vehicles doing legal unexpected manoeuvres like this has to change to every vehicles actions being easily predictable. 

Blaming a driver for something that many drivers do every day will not stop this reoccurring, changing the law and enforcing it, could make a big difference. 

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

Typical U turn accident.
Pick up in the right lane at high speed.
Truck very slowly in the left lane.
Trucks very often change lanes without looking.
Many don't care what happens behind them.
Then just pull over.
Also the trucks often stop in their U turn and the rear or trailer is then in the overtaking lane and blocks the lane.
U turns are real death traps here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

In many situations no, there should not be U turns.  Roads in the USA often have signs at the intersections saying No U turn.  Dangerous intersection, blind spots or whatever.  Of course the mentality of going down the road one or two Kms before finding a safe road to turn down or a station to pull into and then pull out of and reverse direction would be too alien to most Thais thinking

I suspect it's a historical development.

It probably seemed like a good idea in the days when there was not much traffic combined with a desire to save money by not building exit/entry lanes with bridges across the road. And then it just became a 'fact of life' in road construction. It seems such a practical solution ...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Looking at the car damage, and he appears uninjured. Budha was on his side that day, best buy a lottery ticket I think

My guess is that he was the only one in the car wearing a seat belt.

U turns are deadly in Thailand, particularly when drivers inch out into oncoming traffic in hopes the oncoming drivers will be paying attention.. Nobody cares about nearly causing accidents and putting others and themselves in danger when they do that. I'm so glad I don't drive there anymore. 17 years of that BS ..

RIP to the victims in this tragedy. 

1 hour ago, Call said:

Another 3 of the aprox 25.000 dead in traffic "accidents" yearly.

But let´s focus on the deadly Covid instead.

Around 7,700 deaths here from covid so far, and it's not over yet.  Not insignificant.

UNLESS the rammed truck was reversing towards the ramming SUV or turned back onto the highway being exited so hitting the SUV ( both not applicable from account here), the SUV here is ramming from directly behind so 100% at fault , as it had 100% situational control, by ANY standards or law anywhere……whats with all the superfluous analysis re. speed, attention, road feature analysis… ?

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

I believe speed limit is too low and must be reconsidered since 2 people survived. 
when there is no survivor then speed limit is fast enough. 
Thailand has not done any improvement to roads condition, but higher speed limit. 
more deadly accidents on the way, especially when tourists are back. 

What a stain. 

7 hours ago, Almer said:

You do not do that much damage unless you are motoring on a bit, the report says he hit the rear of the truck  only a guess but i would think he hit  it sideways on, if he hit the rear  he is to take the largest portion of blame, but crash bars on the rear and sides would gave lessened the impact on the passenger cabin, that with air vags and seat belts could of made this incident far less tragic.

Not sure what else either driver may have done wrong but, looking at the damage, high speed was the killer. From the accounts and photos the speed factor could only be the due to the pickup.

RIP girls. So sad. 

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe he does or not. One thing we can be sure of is that you are full of arrogance.

I don´t know any Thai driver that are looking at FB while driving, and I have over 10 years of experience. How come? Are you just too unlucky?

Few years back hired an outfit to get my drivers license which involved a van and driver transporting me along with 5 others nearly to BKK. The Thai driver, constantly on the phone fighting with his wife drove at 130kph, weaving in and out yelling at his wife. I told him I was sick , pull over at next restroom. Got out and after informing him hw was a ********** idiot, got a cab back to Pattaya along with another farang on board. Went to their office and with help from a video I took got a full refund. Thais generally do not obey laws, are clueless when it comes to physics and drive like ********* idiots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bloody narrow U-turns require that. There is no other chance than keeping your eyes wide open, ready to break when you see a U-turn sign.

Sadly, this is Me First, syndrome, how many times do you see near misses when vehicles speed up to beat u turning vehicles, very sad.