Thailand reports 18,501 new COVID-19 cases, 20,606 recoveries, 229 more deaths

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As of yesterday Udon Thani's cases had gone from below 100 two days ago to over 200, effectively doubling in two days time.  Lets see what todays provincial numbers show.

Back to just over 100. Panic over. 

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Back to just over 100. Panic over. 

Wow again, a drop downward which I like to see, but again that's the porpoise effect as I have been saying, up, down, up, down, up, down, lets keep watching it, it is like a heartbeat.  Thanks for beating me to the posting as I was just about to mention it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Chasing the cases instead of getting out ahead and in front by doing mass testing as we discussed back in April for here in Bangkok.  Looks like they have not learned a damned thing except how to continue to be reactive and hide the cases by playing Bubble and seal.  You have to give them credit, no matter how badly they are doing at trying to contain or eradicate the issues, they just keep on bumbling along like the keystone cops, always one step behind.

Its a good tester for the Chinese vaccines which was the main brand used, the majority of people who had AZ have not had the second dose yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its a good tester for the Chinese vaccines which was the main brand used, the majority of people who had AZ have not had the second dose yet.

Would be a good case study then to see, waiting on the peer reviewed paper published by the Thai MOPH, we can call it the "Phuket Chronicles - The story of a virus amidst a SandBox".

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Local media reporting that proposals being put to the big CCSA meeting on Friday include allowing indoor restaurants to re-open for 50% occupancy and outdoor restaurants with 75%. We could also see parks and sports fields re-open. However, curfew is expected to stay #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1430803286500667404

Re-opening restaurants and parks is certainly a start! Hopefully, schools next. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Some people here are posting that the official numbers underestimate the number of infections, which is true. There isn’t enough testing ™️ .

but, the real question is if the number of infections is increasing or decreasing, on a daily basis.

My sense is, based on anecdotal evidence, that the epidemic is decreasing in intensity. 

What do you think?

I very much think that it is decreasing.  Not because I believe the numbers so much but most of asia is seeing the same phenomenon.  

I am no doctor nor any kind of expert.  IT's just how I feel.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Re-opening restaurants and parks is certainly a start! Hopefully, schools next. ????

Schools should only be reopened when all the teachers have been vaccinated for at least a month with the second jab. Those at my daughter's village school have not yet got even their first shot and I would not be happy sending her back to school at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Questions about schools. Would you send an unvaccinated child to school if your family was also unvaccinated? What about teachers? Should all teachers be double vaccinated?  The vaccinated can still contract and spread the virus. It will happen again. They will open schools and there will be outbreaks. Previous variants were easier to control if done properly but this is the wildfire variant. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Questions about schools. Would you send an unvaccinated child to school if your family was also unvaccinated? What about teachers? Should all teachers be double vaccinated?  The vaccinated can still contract and spread the virus. It will happen again. They will open schools and there will be outbreaks. Previous variants were easier to control if done properly but this is the wildfire variant. 

Spot on....my Thai wife has had 2 shots but I'm not due the second AZ until Sept 20th. The way any bug goes around the kids at school no way is my daughter back to school until at least the end of October.

Not enough is said about one's own personal health and our own responsibility to aid out own ability to combat this and myriad other flu type and other viruses - we can encourage a robust immune response to viruses with effective balanced diets, a good weight and simple exercise. Vaccines aside, and some have proven a wonderful tool for protecting (from more serious complications) the aged and those with serious other health issues, the natural body needs exposure and to be allowed o develop immune responses - I recently attended a seminar that delineated the robust reaction a healthy body has to this novo virus, so this virus entrenches itself amongst us in perpetuity, personal responsibility for personal fitness and health is paramount. Especially considering that these types of flu family viruses have infinite capacity to mutate, not always increasing malignancy, though could deplete vaccine efficacy.

None of this published data, bereft of context and veracity, elucidates the true nature of this now ever present condition because it's simply impossible to successfully log rates. In UK for example, approximately 500 000 were tested to detect 25 000 cases - I read that Thailand detected 20 000 cases from 50 000 tests - the ratio is important here.  

Having lived around SE Asia for most of my life, I certainly hope governments use a wider lens and ensure that this is now managed better so that everything else is not neglected in a one-issue battle that can never be won. Even Australia is  now reaching that conclusion. 

• Haha 1

Iguess that positives from ATKs will fall once they start importing the fake ATK tests from Lepu in China, as they reportedly had an unacceptable rate of false negatives which led them to be banned by the US FDA.  I note that the importer that won the bid has only 5 million registered capital which may not be paid up and no corporate website but set up a dedicated website for these kits with hardly any information on it.  The company shares an address in a residential neighourhood with another one product company that markets a pet deodoriser product.  It is said in reports to be affiliated with a listed real estate developer that makes losses year after year but is not mentioned as an affiliate in that company's filings.  I wonder what qualifications and experience are needed to win tenders from GPO.  If bidders have no capital or assets, it will be hard to sue them for non-performance, if something goes wrong.

Number of waiting-list for hospital beds significantly drop over the past three weeks

The amount of Covid patients who are waiting for hospital beds has significantly dropped over the past three weeks, the Ministry of Public Health said on Thursday.  

“The numbers of patients with mild, moderate and severe symptoms who are waiting have clearly reduced after the launched of the home isolation and the community isolation programs,” said Dr Somsak Akksilp, Director-General of the Department of Medical Services (DMS).

There were 39 registered Covid patients waiting for a hospital bed on August 25 compared to nearly 7,000 on May 31.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/31829/number-of-waiting-list-for-hospital-beds-significantly-drop-over-the-past-three-weeks/

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Surely you know that once vaccinated the likelihood of you passing it to others "if" you get infected again decreases dramatically. 

Unfortunately it seems that opposite might be true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-delta-variant-infections-carry-same-virus-load-unvaccinated/

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3897733

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes to all the above. But let's not go through this again.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, niccodemi said:

Yes I certainly accept that and its not good but as mentioned earlier, if the children are vaccinated then they have less risk of being infected and so the possibility of then passing the virus in is reduced. Perhaps I should have quantified that before, as it looks like I was mistaken according to latest studies.

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Harry Black said:

Seven in 10 children and young people reported poorer mental health due to the impact of COVID-19 on their lives in a 2020 UNICEF-led survey in Thailand. Following school closures, more than half said they were worried about their studies, and future education and employment.

https://www.unicef.org/thailand/press-releases/first-day-school-indefinitely-postponed-140-million-first-time-students-around-world

@ Salerno, I saw you posted a laughing emoji on this post about children's mental health.  I'm sorry, whats funny about it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Black said:

Seven in 10 children and young people reported poorer mental health due to the impact of COVID-19 on their lives in a 2020 UNICEF-led survey in Thailand. Following school closures, more than half said they were worried about their studies, and future education and employment.

https://www.unicef.org/thailand/press-releases/first-day-school-indefinitely-postponed-140-million-first-time-students-around-world

I'm sure they would also be worried and in poorer mental health if they brought the virus back home to infect their own family. Its a catch 22 until we have vaccination rates up, we all have to wait unfortunately. More than 5,000 children have lost parents in Thailand so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes I certainly accept that and its not good but as mentioned earlier, if the children are vaccinated then they have less risk of being infected and so the possibility of then passing the virus in is reduced. Perhaps I should have quantified that before, as it looks like I was mistaken according to latest studies.

Still have a 20-30% chance of contracting Sars-CoV-2 and a higher chance than that if the kids get jabbed with sinovac x 2 as studies are now showing. It is true that the chance of kids becoming seriously ill or dying is still low but as we see on here it does happen. There is also long covid in the mix. This is an interesting article ....

Experts say Delta variant spread among Australian children is concerning in absence of Covid vaccine

With data showing children can be vulnerable to long Covid, a former AMA president says the lack of an approved vaccine for the young is troubling

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm sure they would also be worried and in poorer mental health if they brought the virus back home to infect their own family. Its a catch 22 until we have vaccination rates up, we all have to wait unfortunately. More than 5,000 children have lost parents in Thailand so far.

Fair point, but these children are still interacting with other kids, I'm just looking out my window and can see a group of 5 or 6 playing on their bikes together. Can still infect their family, better to have them learning IMHO.

• Like 1