Phuket Sandbox is failing foreign tourists: tourism official

webfact

In the long run , they will have no other choice than opening up everything again . Covid or not . But it would look better if new Covid cases come down a lot before that . Will they succeed in bringing them down ?

Well , it depends a lot on their ability and on the Virus itself ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well well well, how the worm has turned.  Seems that the 150k visitirs by years end that was dropped from 3 million may be even too many as Phuket saw a mass exodus of British folks, many who had just arrived, in order to return home before the mandatory quarantines started in the UK.  Then add in the expanding cases  reported for Phuket and one wonders how many were vaccinated prior to becoming infected.  There are many folks who see the sandbox as succeeding, but now there are even officials who are taking a step back it appears.  I wish the tourism for the country much luck, but as of now and my guess will be until a year from now we may only be seeing domestic tourism with the restrictions they have just lifted and the advent of green cards and yellow cards being needed.

Probably a lot lees than the 70% were vaccinated as promised, and then only one shot of the useless Sinovac against the DElta strain.

Maybe we see the Phuket strategy happening nationally, at the moment 30% have had one shot, mostly Sinovac, and talks are becoming push to re-open.

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

Everything needs to be open with no restrictions and only proof of full vaccination required.  Either open that way or stay closed.  

I agree, if you're fully vaxxed, you know the risks and take your chances.  

What more than get vaxxed can someone, including tourists,  do? 

Should tourists that are fully vaxxed be made to undergo testing and subject to other restrictions?

I'm also not a huge fan of even having to produce proof of vaccination or the testing.  We'll see where it all leads., but I'm not gonna put myself at risk by not getting vaxxed.

Foe now I'm not traveling if they require proof of vaccination, quarantines, etc, not going travel anywhere until all restrictions are lifted.   The same applies to local anything, restaurants, shopping malls, pubs etc.

I don't mind masking up though, reducing risk makes sense, vaxxed or not.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Imagine if the y had the truth about Phuket who would have come? some probably would but only those who care about the beaches and the views, but anyone who thought that bars restaurants and other places of fun would be open got very disappointed, and i know, i just been there...

Maybe the first wave of Tourists were sucked in by all the BS, but surely people such as yourself that had boots on the ground will, through Social Media , be telling it as it really is.

There can only be one outcome from the truth getting into the open, but these delusional fools seem to think people from Foreign Lands are actually chomping at the bit to get here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think most people have no bad sentiments or feelings about Thailand. The UK people have had some bad news but that is  just a short term thing.

I think there's millions  of people who just can't wait for an overseas beach holiday and Thailand is high on the list. Other options like Bali will be  popular too but they have fared a bit worse through this. 

By two years tourism will be back in a huge way. Australians. Russians. Indians. EC countries and the UK too. Lots of people want a beach holiday and Thailand hits the spot. 

News items like bloomberg listing Thailand as one of the worst places in the world to be at this stage of the pandemic.. UK red list.. USA, China, OZ etc all not coming.. 

Phuket sandbox merely allowed a system of bypassing ASQ for most part.. Which is why theres barely a handful who have gone to Samui Plus as it all come down to the easiest / cheapest route back in. 

2 years time ?? The tourist industry and the banks that are financing all these hotels, taxis, etc etc are not going to last 2 years.. Sure in 2 years some semblance of numbers will come back but the current players will be bankrupted without this years high season. Cest la vie.. They played the debt growth game expecting better years every year. Its a long time since 97 and it took well over a decade to clear out that malinvestment, this ones far worse. 

• Like 2