Poll -- Is the novel dead (to you)?

Jingthing

Novels?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I read real slow but when I stopped working I decided to try and read 50 books in a year. I have read at least 50 for the past 7 years. Currently I am at 40 for this year but am sure I will make it over 50 by the end of the year. I am glad a number of the authors that I really enjoy don't think that the novel is dead and keep writing.

Good for you. I have hundreds of books bought over the years to read "when I retired", but the dark side ( the internet ) has seduced me, and I read few.

If I can resist the pull of darkness, I will endeavor to put aside at least 2 afternoons a week to read. I can only hope.

• Like 1

At some point in time, the population consumed cave paintings, as that was the only form of media available. Then came clay tablets, scrolls, printing press, digital etc. evolution of media.

The content is still available its just in a different media nowadays

I used to read a couple of books a week, nowadays I still consume the content but its usually in the form of an audio book, someone reads it to me.

• Like 1

I was surprised that my honest response was 0 in 2021, as I would say I was an avid reader using my Kindle.

But the reason is that I used to take at least one long-haul flight every week for my work, and as I'd seen all the movies I would lose myself in a novel.   But I've not been on any flights this year.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The question really isn't about delivery format in any way.

It's about content.

A novel is still a novel whether it's in book, ebook, or audio format. 

Obviously some people are still writing novels and some people are still "reading" them in some way.

But I strongly feel that novels are in decline as far as their cultural importance and impact. 

I think over time that trend will continue with no hope of reversal.

Sure most probably students will continue to be forced to read novels in academic settings. But I think even that will decline. 

But what percentage of them will continue to read them voluntarily?

I think fewer and fewer. It seems to me appreciating novels has already become rather a quaint activity and in some sense an activity of a shrinking intellectual elite.

I should clarify that I'm talking about novels with at least some literary merit. 

Is our intellect shrinking, did you say? 

What about the Flynn Effect? 

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Surprising, yes, but why 'shameful'?

Millennials and Gen Z people will not/ do not have the same grasp on vocabulary and history if they do not read.  Reading also reduces stress and keeps your brain healthy in some ways I believe.

So if you do not partake in something easy and educational that is good for you that would be "shameful" ?  Is my take

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Millennials and Gen Z people will not/ do not have the same grasp on vocabulary and history if they do not read.  Reading also reduces stress and keeps your brain healthy in some ways I believe.

So if you do not partake in something easy and educational that is good for you that would be "shameful" ?  Is my take

I see .... fair point.  Although I think grammar and proper sentence construction is dead anyway, thanks to messaging apps.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is an interesting point.

There was a time when I enjoyed James Patterson books, and then he outsourced his writing to co-authors..

I read lots of great Reacher books. After the last one I am not sure I will buy another one again.

Same with Baldacci. The last book which I read was horrible, after many good books.

At least Stephen Leather still writes great novels.

Agree with you about the last Reacher book. Lee Child co-wrote it with his brother. Big mistake!

• Like 1

Ashamed to say I have gone from a daily reader to a zero vote, gradually over the last 5 years or so. Before I moved here from Cambodia I used to read about a book a month.

I always used to read (Kindle on IPad) for an hour or so when I went to bed but I'm married now.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What about the novel, as a form, and when the novel first became an art form?

Henry Fielding? Who does not love Tom Jones?

What about Fanny Hill?

How has the novel changed since the days of Fanny Hill?

I remember looking at Fanny by Gaslight as a kid, but went for a Harold Robbins instead

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 2

About 20 this year so far. I read when I walk to the town everyday and sit or on the loo - what else you going to do ? Look at the same piece of path 365 and stare at the sink taps ? 32 pages a day walking and loo = near 1000 a month = 2-3 books ish read when you have basically the ability to do nothing else ! I do not see that as a bad thing.

• Like 1

I think the "real" book novel has died somewhat but I read PDF books having downloaded from Internet.

Also I listen to Audio books - does that count? For example, recently I have been into the Audio version of "The Hobbit"

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I walk to the town everyday and sit or on the loo - what else you going to do ?

I used to use dead time like that to study languages. Have a dozen words written down on a scrap of paper and memorize them whilst walking , working or pooing. Very effective method.

Although I read a lot of literature when I was younger, nowadays I in English I only read non-fiction.  However, in my Thai studies I am just finishing ครอบครัวที่ลัก ("Shoplifters") by Hirokazu Koreeda, translated from the Japanese into Thai.  Very enjoyable.  Learned a lot of Thai vernacular.

Both fiction and non fiction will last as long as mankind has an open mind, and maintains it's curiosity. I do have friends who refuse to read books. And my heart goes out to them. Literacy is an amazing and beautiful thing. There is way more than a lifetime of wonderful stuff to read out there. Since I have discovered both Library Genesis - http://libgen.rs and Z Library, https://en.book4you.org I have downloaded hundreds of books, magazines, etc. Amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1