Phuket hospital claims success with subcutaneous injection of AZ as booster

snoop1130

ADBA09B6-E70C-4C52-9A67-E5100516F0C1.jpeg

The Vachira Phuket hospital has claimed successful experimentation with subcutaneous injection of AstraZeneca vaccine, as a third booster dose for people already inoculated with two doses of Sinovac vaccine. Used subcutaneously, a single dose of vaccine can be given to five times as many people as an intramuscular injection, and with slightly higher antibody levels.

The hospital’s deputy director, Dr. Withida Jaengiam, said today that only 0.5ml of AstraZeneca vaccine per dose, or 20% of the amount used for intramuscular injection, was used per person via the subcutaneous injection technique.

She also claimed that the experiment shows that people inoculated subcutaneously develop slightly more antibodies on average than those given an intramuscular injection, but the two groups of people had developed higher antibodies than the minimum standard.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-hospital-claims-success-with-subcutaneous-injection-of-az-vaccine-as-booster/

Logo-top-.png

Pending approval from the Ministry of Public Health, he said that about 200,000 people on Phuket Island, who have been fully inoculated with the Chinese-made Sinovac inactivated virus vaccine, will be given subcutaneous injections of AstraZeneca as their booster jab.

Actually, you can make that 199,999 people. No thanks. Who in their right mind would willingly get this?

They really are worried about those double jabbed with sinovac aren’t they? Resorting to everything, anything, to improve the limited protection it gives. Whilst at the same time defending to the hilt the decision to use it in the first place.

as to whether it’s a good thing to deliver vaccine in this way, I guess a 200k study group is about to be set up consisting of forced volunteers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

So a fakakte obscure hospital in the boondocks has come up with world first Covid injection delivery method no one else thought about, not even those giant pharma companies that invented the vaccine...

I wonder if the reason the WHO and AZ have not commented on this is because the answer is so embarrassing they haven't figured out what to say without huge humiliation so staying silent is the best policy for now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

Phase two of the clinical trial is to dilute the vaccine with water, add fermented fish sauce and leave the vaccine out in the sun for a week before administering it as an oral drop between the tongue and cheek.

pretty sure they've tried that already

14 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Pending approval from the Ministry of Public Health, he said that about 200,000 people on Phuket Island, who have been fully inoculated with the Chinese-made Sinovac inactivated virus vaccine, will be given subcutaneous injections of AstraZeneca as their booster jab.

Actually, you can make that 199,999 people. No thanks. Who in their right mind would willingly get this?

I assume the Ministry and people in important positions in office, think that the majority of the population don't have any thoughts of their own sadly....... 

If this is correct why have the Clinical Trial Data Sheets, and Reports not been published.

I wonder what the guys at the " Lancet " and other credible Medical Journals are making of this latest Thai " Wonder Cure "

These people are just opening another can of Worms should it go wrong and the Claims come flooding in. And again it seems as if AZ is the Vaccine being targeted for this experiment.

Hmmm ! I wonder what AZ are thinking right now.

I know what I would be thinking if I were in their Shoes.

I look at it this way. The vaccines are already experimental. Almost certainly safe, now tested in millions of people, but without the years of data that a normal vaccine process would gather. But, needs must. The risk from the virus for the worlds population overall, outweighs the risk of rushing vaccine development. Fair enough.

but now the risk of the experimental vaccine (admittedly very low), is compounded by the experiment of two particular mixed vaccines for which there is little data and no peer reviewed studies. AND, on top of that they want to experiment further with a different injection process for which there are no studies.

Vachira hospital (hardly renowned for its medical research since it’s a basic provincial government hospital subject to all the normal funding constraints of such facilities) pointedly releases no information on its research, which even the hospital itself doesn’t have the temerity to call a study, simply terming it an “experiment”.

so it’s experiment, on experiment, on experiment, with each one having less and less medical research behind it. Sheez.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

but it only lasts for 24 hours lol

Still waiting for the WHO and AZ to comment on this

I just read a bit about this type of injection and it said medicines are absorbed more slowly using this technique, maybe then the vaccine absorbed slower into the body may make some kind of difference wait for Dr Spok's report.

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Indeed. If intramuscular injection is such a good idea, why didn’t AZ and all the other vaccine manufacturers recommend that from the get go?

I know people will say that it uses less vaccine so the pharma companies couldn’t charge so much, but I don’t really believe that. If it was such an obvious money grab the companies would get called out on it, particular during such challenging times.

There are this forum who think big pharma is constantly out to screw the public, and if you are in that group?? (which I speculate you are not) then you would believe Big Pharma do indeed use too much vaccine than needed, in order to justify their price.

so I guess it depends on what side of the fence you sit as to what you believe or don't believe?

Lets look a hypothetical - where in this hypothetical, Thailand did NOT adopt this approach. And further in this hypothetical it is shown, say in a year from now from studies else where in that world, that this is indeed a smart approach.  And also known that Thailand conducted the noted study, and that Thailand has known this all along (because of the noted Thai study) and yet Thailand did NOT adopt the approach it is about to adopt. 

I'll bet in that hypothetical, the cynics on this forum would again be out, having fun in their cynical bashing of Thailand for failing to act on knowledge from a test they conducted.

IMHO it doesn't matter that Thailand does. The cynics and the whiners will be out in force regardless, bitching about any Thai action.

Edited by oldcpu

10 hours ago, smedly said:

I wonder if the reason the WHO and AZ have not commented on this is because the answer is so embarrassing they haven't figured out what to say without huge humiliation so staying silent is the best policy for now

Similar to how the bleach and horse meds suggestions  were greeted?

That's been one of the major problems with how humanity has dealt with this threat: politics masquerading as reason.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, ezzra said:

So a fakakte obscure hospital in the boondocks has come up with world first Covid injection delivery method no one else thought about, not even those giant pharma companies that invented the vaccine...

I am certain they have already thought about it. Both the NHS and the EMA have guidelines which state "COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is for intramuscular injection only, preferably in the deltoid muscle of the upper arm. Do not inject the vaccine intravascularly, subcutaneously or intradermally.

Old CPU - I think you need to do a bit more editing. Your post appears as a rambling statement.

There is nowhere that I know of; changes the type of injection procedure and reduces the dose by 80% and tries to sell that idea from experiments from one Hospital.

To use your own vernacular, show me where and how you substantiate your comments.

Edited by DaveC

On 9/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Will B Good said:

Double blind study with over 5,000 carefully selected volunteers based on age, sex, race, medical history, etc?

Because I hold Thai clinicians in higher esteem than the Muppets that flap their gums and wave their guns, I'ma give her the benefit of the doubt in the ¨Necessity is the mother of invention¨ category. She may be on to a thing or five.