Ist jab: AZ. Best 2nd jab choice: AZ or Pfizer?

Cutty Shark

I'd recommend AZ. mixed is not recognized by some countries as "fully vaccinated". And with the rules constantly in flux or subject to change, I'd go with the most strict definition of fully vaccinated.

From the US CDC website:

In general, people are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series.

You can always get a booster later.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Personally I would go for Astra Zeneca, which is an official and tested way (official as in world-wide, not just a Thai government idea), and then later look for Pfizer / Moderna as a booster. Two shots of Astra will also give you a vaccination certificate that as of now is accepted in many countries, if you need to travel. Mix-and-match vaccinations are - as far as I know - still very much a grey area whether they will be accepted or not.

Disclaimer: I am not a medically educated person, my opinion is based on certificates / travel needs

Hi I totally agree with the above post 

• Like 1

FYI I had my second Astra Zeneca jab last Saturday.

After the first jab I had mild symptoms, i.e., sore arm at he injection site and extreme fatigue for 24-36 hours....After that nothing and felt normal.

However, within 20 hours of the second jab i suffered an extreme allergic reaction. it started with swollen lips and spread to my lower face in minutes. I immediately took strong antihistamines on the advice of my Pharmacist which stopped the swelling progressing.

The swelling very gradually went down over the next 4 days and today I am back to normal.

I can't say definitely that the allergic reaction was caused by the vaccine, but I had just gone straight home after the jab and ate and drank my normal foods and as I had stayed indoors I don't think it was caused by an insect bite (I have those plug-in mozzie repellents throughout the house and always keep the windows firmly closed).

I can also relate the story that last week a French guy, who my girlfiend knows, and who had moved to Korat went for his first Janssen jab a few days ago. Within 24 hours he had suffered a similar allergic reaction to mine, but also was having severe breathing difficulties so was rushed to ER. He died the following day.

He was in his late 50s and had undergone heart bypass surgery a few years ago, but was otherwise in good health and still active!

I certainly won't be getting another AZ shot!.....

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cutty Shark said:

I’ve heard that I might be able to choose between AstraZeneca and Pfizer for the second jab.  Which of those two vaccines would you advise?

There was an article in a newspaper I cannot quote here, but Astra-Phizer was by far the best combination -  Astra-Astra was not very good, but I cannot judge the quality of the study - you can try to Google for it yourself...????

• Like 1

Under the government's vaccine program, up until now at least, they haven't given expats any choice as to the second shot following a first AZ shot.

I got my first AZ shot via the government's program in late June. And then was scheduled for my second shot in early Sept.

At that time, I begged at two different participating hospitals to be allowed to have my 2nd shot be Pfizer instead of AZ. And at least in early Sept., was told in no uncertain terms, if you got AZ as your first shot, you can only get AZ as your second shot via the government's program.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Under the government's vaccine program, up until now at least, they haven't given expats any choice as to the second shot following a first AZ shot.

I got my first AZ shot via the government's program in late June. And then was scheduled for my second shot in early Sept.

At that time, I begged at two different participating hospitals to be allowed to have my 2nd shot be Pfizer instead of AZ. And at least in early Sept., was told in no uncertain terms, if you got AZ as your first shot, you can only get AZ as your second shot via the government's program.

yes same here told this a few weeks ago i was offered Pfizer but when my wife told them id had AZ they said sorry cannot.. must be AZ

7 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

yes same here told this a few weeks ago i was offered Pfizer but when my wife told them id had AZ they said sorry cannot.. must be AZ

I tried to get my second shot as a Pfizer dose -- without mentioning my prior AZ first dose. I got preregistered and confirmed OK, and on the day of the appointment, the second hospital let me in, took my BP, other stuff.

But on the last step prior to the actual shot, the hospital rep went into an online computer system, I believe the MoPH database keyed to my passport number, and as soon as he saw the reference to the first AZ dose in their database, he said, cannot get Pfizer for the second dose. You have to go back to your original first dose hospital for the 2nd AZ as scheduled.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And at least in early Sept., was told in no uncertain terms, if you got AZ as your first shot, you can only get AZ as your second shot via the government's program.

I hope that still applies at the end of October when my second jab is due. If I am only offered Pfizer I will be looking elsewhere to get the second AZ jab.

My first jab was AZ and my second was scheduled for next week. I received a call from the (government) hospital where I received my first jab, and they asked if I wanted Pfizer as my second. I readily accepted the offer and had the Pfizer jab the next day. I now have the official certificate showing AZ as my fist and Pfizer as my second. 

So it is possible.

• Thanks 2

As already mentioned by others if your first jab was AZ, the govt is highly likely to give you AZ as the second jab.  It's all preprogrammed in the govt database as to what your 1st shot was and what your 2nd shot will/should be.   But I guess vaccine supplies/shortages can cause changes.

And at the same time at your vaccination location where you are getting AZ,  they may also giving people Pfizer or Sinovac for their 1st jab....and people Pfizer for their 2nd jab if their 1st jab was also Pfizer.  

Regarding side effects for my two AZ jabs.  For the 1st jab when going to bed that night I got the chills for about one hour and then they went away.  I then felt a little warm until I fell asleep and when waking up in the morning I had a major headache and felt hot.  However, when checking my temp it was normal.   I took two para and the headache was gone in about 30 minutes.  For my second AZ jab two days ago I haven't had any side effects.   

For the wife her 1st AZ jab made her feel warm but her temperature was normal....she did have a slight headache the next morning but two para took care of that.  And for the 2nd AZ jab two days ago she hasn't had any side affects. 

Just a few hours ago I talked to two of my neighbors (husband and wife) in their 60s I haven't seen for about a month....they both got AZ also for their 1st and 2nd jabs.  The husband had the same side affects as me for the 1st jab and the 2nd AZ jab made him feel drowsy the next day.  For  wife she just said the 1st jab made her sick the next day and the 2nd jab made her sick for two days....she really didn't detail what "sick" was in her case other than it was just "stay home type sick".....no need to go to the doctor.

My Thai wife's sister got two AZ jabs...and she didn't have any side effects for either jab....she a tough lady.  

My Thai wife's 85 year old mother didn't have any side effect from the 1st AZ jab....she gets her 2nd jab next week.   

And my Thai wife's 80 year old auntie didn't have any sides effects form the 1st AZ jab....she gets her 2nd jab in about another month.

I could go one about family/friends sides effects from getting AZ, Sinovac, Sinophram and Pfizer.   Only one relative who got Sinophram felt dizzy and threw up several times after getting the 1st jab....she got her 2nd jab of Sinophram today but I haven't had a chance to ask her if she having any side affects.   Thankfully no one has had an serious side effects...mostly just things like a headache and feeling warm the day of the jab and the following morning.   

Edited by Pib

Follow your first with another AZ, your immune system is looking for the other to enhance and produce more of them virus busting 'T' cells, and also makes for a good solid 'full series' vaccination certificate for travel.......mRNA months later if you wish......... 

By virtue of applying on all the sites they put out, I've ended up with 3 jabs;

AstraZeneca - minimum side effects, just a bit dizzy, over by the time I left the hospital.

8-weeks later

Pfizer - side effects started a few hours later and laid me up for 36 hours.

3-weeks later

Pfizer - zero side effects.

The first one meant a trip to Bangkok, the others were more local.  Which is why I didn't go for a second AZ, I didn't want to do the trip again, not because I didn't trust AZ.

All show up in my Mor Phrom app.

I've had one AZ, the 2nd one is at the end of October, that's AZ as well, same for the mrs although a couple of weeks difference between us, I have also paid for 2 shots of Moderna at BPH, they were for the mrs before she got accepted for the free AZ, we will now convert those to booster shots 1 each at some time in the future. ????????????

3 hours ago, Pib said:

As already mentioned by others if your first jab was AZ, the govt is highly likely to give you AZ as the second jab.  It's all preprogrammed in the govt database as to what your 1st shot was and what your 2nd shot will/should be.   But I guess vaccine supplies/shortages can cause changes.

And at the same time at your vaccination location where you are getting AZ,  they may also giving people Pfizer or Sinovac for their 1st jab....and people Pfizer for their 2nd jab if their 1st jab was also Pfizer.  

Regarding side effects for my two AZ jabs.  For the 1st jab when going to bed that night I got the chills for about one hour and then they went away.  I then felt a little warm until I fell asleep and when waking up in the morning I had a major headache and felt hot.  However, when checking my temp it was normal.   I took two para and the headache was gone in about 30 minutes.  For my second AZ jab two days ago I haven't had any side effects.   

For the wife her 1st AZ jab made her feel warm but her temperature was normal....she did have a slight headache the next morning but two para took care of that.  And for the 2nd AZ jab two days ago she hasn't had any side affects. 

Just a few hours ago I talked to two of my neighbors (husband and wife) in their 60s I haven't seen for about a month....they both got AZ also for their 1st and 2nd jabs.  The husband had the same side affects as me for the 1st jab and the 2nd AZ jab made him feel drowsy the next day.  For  wife she just said the 1st jab made her sick the next day and the 2nd jab made her sick for two days....she really didn't detail what "sick" was in her case other than it was just "stay home type sick".....no need to go to the doctor.

My Thai wife's sister got two AZ jabs...and she didn't have any side effects for either jab....she a tough lady.  

My Thai wife's 85 year old mother didn't have any side effect from the 1st AZ jab....she gets her 2nd jab next week.   

And my Thai wife's 80 year old auntie didn't have any sides effects form the 1st AZ jab....she gets her 2nd jab in about another month.

I could go one about family/friends sides effects from getting AZ, Sinovac, Sinophram and Pfizer.   Only one relative who got Sinophram felt dizzy and threw up several times after getting the 1st jab....she got her 2nd jab of Sinophram today but I haven't had a chance to ask her if she having any side affects.   Thankfully no one has had an serious side effects...mostly just things like a headache and feeling warm the day of the jab and the following morning.   

These are common symptoms.

As a general observation youngsters seem to suffer worse side effects than elderly people.  It is thought that this is due to a more robust immune system.

Some people get overwrought, and actually this can be the cause of or exacerbate the symptoms described.

Occasionally people suffer a very vigorous flu like illness which can last a few days.

4 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Thanks. I will try my best to follow Jingthing .

Who also gave some very sound advice.  I wouldn't listen to the other guy though.

Note : AZ does appear to be better than Pfizer where it really counts, although I am quite happy to have received the latter through the Expatvac site. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9935385/AstraZeneca-vaccine-best-keeping-people-hospital-just-1-52-cent-admitted.html

They are both clearly good.

2 shots AZ, followed by Pfizer booster maybe.  That should keep you well protected for a year or so, and by that time the boffins will have sorted out the next step.

I had an AstraZeneca first shot.  I am scheduled for a second shot on October 15 of AstraZeneca.  I would prefer Pfizer.  Any suggestions as how to get Pfizer as a second shot?  It does not seem that you have much of a choice.  Government mandated.  Most all of my friends have had 2 shots of Pfizer.

1 hour ago, Srjs said:

I had an AstraZeneca first shot.  I am scheduled for a second shot on October 15 of AstraZeneca.  I would prefer Pfizer.  Any suggestions as how to get Pfizer as a second shot?  It does not seem that you have much of a choice.  Government mandated.  Most all of my friends have had 2 shots of Pfizer.

Probably forget it.

Maybe six months from now there will be a surplus and we can get.access to boosters.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/02/millions-who-got-astrazeneca-jab-to-get-different-booster-shot-15022362/