How long can PM Prayut remain in power?

webfact

PM-tenure_web.jpg

(Photo by Thai PBS)

By Thai PBS World’s Political Desk

August 24 marked the seventh anniversary of General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s tenure as Thailand’s prime minister. It also spurred questions over whether he has only one year left in the post, as the Constitution prohibits anyone from being PM for more than eight years.

Legal experts disagree as to when PM Prayut must vacate his seat — another legal issue that may finally land in the Constitutional Court.

Some say the eight-year period runs from when the current charter came into force on April 6, 2018. Others, including some lawmakers, point out that Prayut has actually served as head of the government since 2014. They maintain that what counts is the spirit of the Constitution, whose unprecedented provision is intended to prevent any prime minister from entrenching their power.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/how-long-can-pm-prayut-remain-in-power/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

You said the main point - As long as democracy can be restored,

Doesn't democracy have to be established before it can be restored? 

And PMs are legally, legitimately and ethically elected. That's not reflective of what he is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, harada said:

As long as the Puppet Master wants him to be. 

As it's always been - for decades. 

And most still don't get it - how the mechanisms really work.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It does appear he wants to be a Duvalier, Castro, Hun Sen, Putin, or Fazaa type. I think there is no doubt the power, and massive fortune he is making is going to his head. My guess is he will be in office, until he is ingloriously ushered out, kicked out, arrested, sent into exile, or worse. And the real shame, is that he is likely one of the least capable, least intelligent, least creative, and least worthy leaders Thailand has ever had.

And that is saying alot, as Thailand has had countless dreadful leaders at the helm. They could win an award for "leaders with the least talent and capability".

And people still don't rise.

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He has been in power for 7 years too long already.

The sooner he goes, as long as democracy can be restored, the sooner Thailand can try to start to move forward again. 

Party I agree, however....

"The fish stinks from......." ????

• Confused 1

Many regimes worldwide have always assumed that they can hold on to power, irrespective of the popular feeling, indefinitely.

When they fall, it is often very fast.

I am often reminded of the look on Caecescea's face when the wheels suddenly came of in Romania back along!

I don't know what will be the catalyst with this lot, but I am pretty sure that it will happen.

If he were the run-of-the-mill class oriented General, he would've been replaced years ago.

Prayut is not run-of-the-mill class. 

Remember from where he comes and his background. 

The reasons as to why he still sits where he does.