Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I was clearly talking about the NHS, and commenting on your opinion that it is acceptable that the NHS should be geographically based.  

Are you also suggesting pensions should be geographically based as well? 

So, pay into a pension scheme all your working life, but move away from the UK in your retirement and you should not receive your pension?  ????  

I didn't say anything about Pensions being geographically based, I only said that paying tax doesn't count towards them as it's National Insurance contributions that count. 

Neither Tax nor NI count towards NHS eligibility (though both go to pay for it) rightly or wrongly it's based on where you are "Ordinarily Resident"...

Do I think it's fair that I paid maximum NI contributions (& when they lifted the ceiling I paid more) for 20+ years but am not entitled to anything more that somebody who spent 20 years on the dole & paid nothing - NO.

Do I think it's fair that I was in the highest Tax bracket for 20+ years & then taxed again as I had Private Health Insurance as a "Benefit in Kind" (Which I never used) but as an Expat I'm not eligible for NHS - NO. 

But living in a civilised society is all about those that earn more, contribute more & I believe that should be the case (Of course those that really earn more contribute less but that's another topic). 

BTW Some guys on here have mentioned that the Aussie Govt is looking at reducing/removing pensions from guys who are not "Ordinarily Resident" there so be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I learnt early on in life not to rely on government for anything, except a passport, and I have mostly used that passport to get out.  ????  

Best way, that way anything you get from those bar-stewards is a bonus ???? 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:54 AM, jacko45k said:

State pension alone  from UK will be about 32,000 baht every 4 weeks... although many will get a second pension from their past employer. For example those who were in the police force long term do quite well. 

Too well    Cheap here,getting cheaper,but farangs moving or dying is getting to the point of spotting one

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 8:13 PM, Espanol said:

Yes. That's state pension. 

You can also pay private pension if you want (and can afford it).

State Pension   there are idiots here (worldwide actually) that by their own choice...their own choice are frozen,for ever    their  worth going down yoy

Please no c.rap of "getting caught"  there is none,nothing  nada

Id paid 44 years,opt out,but still got full whack of OAP

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:31 PM, FruitPudding said:

Exactly, I earn about 50k. I support myself, my child, and my GF.

We stay in a spacious, modern condo close to BTS. My child studies in a top-tier Thai school. We have a few holidays within Thailand every year. I waste money on luxury food items regularly and drink more beer than I should. We all have our luxuries, in fact. We are all covered with appropriate health insurance.

Admittedly, I would struggle to afford a family holiday abroad regularly - but that isn't important to us.

Good for you, 50,000 is liveable but not enough to party much. I know many on less - good luck and enjoy.

7 hours ago, fredscats said:

State Pension   there are idiots here (worldwide actually) that by their own choice...their own choice are frozen,for ever    their  worth going down yoy

Please no c.rap of "getting caught"  there is none,nothing  nada

Id paid 44 years,opt out,but still got full whack of OAP

Sigh... And there are idiots living outside of the UK,paying Class 3 NI Stamps, Higher rate tax on dividend income & Capital Gains tax (I probably need to explain those last 2 to you). 

For me, my Private (Final Salary Scheme / Defined Benefits, vests at 60) Pension is reduced by whatever I get as a State Pension... so why do I care if my state pension is frozen or not? 

When will you guys learn that everybody has their own personal/unique circumstances & so an "Idiot" to you is somebody who's doing the smart thing for them... 

Edit: Agree 100% with the "Looking over your shoulder" comments above, just because you have zero chance of getting caught /. consequences now, doesn't mean that it will be like that in 5,10,20,30 years time (Some of us aren't 60 yet so hopefully need to think to those timescales). 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I live in Thailand, get a UK state pension and of course it will be frozen... and would prefer not to be called an idiot by such as you. If my only choice, for a few coppers more, is to live in the UK, you can stuff it. It is a basket case.  If my other choice is to cheat the system, lie, and be a benefit thief (and pension is a benefit), I would rather not. There are more deserving cases than me. 

Your choice,taken frozen ones that respond always the case More than few coppers assure you,especially after a few years,next years rise worthwhile     ,but who defrauds who? Uk attempting the fraud   No punishment/packdrill otherwise there would be repercussions,but whatabout little Annie in SA    16 pound a week ,all the others worldwide on crucifying small state pensions,...you can go down that route..not for me,they do indeed deserve it...but not getting it

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I live in Thailand, get a UK state pension and of course it will be frozen... and would prefer not to be called an idiot by such as you. If my only choice, for a few coppers more, is to live in the UK, you can stuff it. It is a basket case.  If my other choice is to cheat the system, lie, and be a benefit thief (and pension is a benefit), I would rather not. There are more deserving cases than me. 

While it's always nice to have a little extra income I'm with you on this one as it really is only a little extra.  The most recent increase in the State Pension equates to about 10,500 baht a year or under 900 baht a month, pretty much a non-issue in overall budget/retirement planning. Male life expectancy in the UK is 79.3 compared to 73.5 in Thailand so the odds are you'll miss out on 10 years worth :)).  3 grand, big deal.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 3:42 AM, The Cipher said:

Hmm, in my limited experience the people who plan are usually the ones that put themselves in a position to get lucky.

How many plan for an acrimonious divorce? and invariably a one sided outcome.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

While it's always nice to have a little extra income I'm with you on this one as it really is only a little extra.  The most recent increase in the State Pension equates to about 10,500 baht a year or under 900 baht a month, pretty much a non-issue in overall budget/retirement planning. Male life expectancy in the UK is 79.3 compared to 73.5 in Thailand so the odds are you'll miss out on 10 years worth :)).  3 grand, big deal.

I do know people here in Thailand, who pretty much spend all of their time here , but I guess they maintain a UK residence or address, and are on the electoral roll. They get the pension increases, and even get heating allowance in winter, despite being in balmy Thailand. Always regarded that as pretty bad form. The fact that some countries get increases and some do not, is of course wrong... but I prefer not to practice to deceive..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

While it's always nice to have a little extra income I'm with you on this one as it really is only a little extra. 

That little extra does add up.  If keeping up with USA Soc Sec program, those increases, for me, have totaled just shy of 50%.

The difference between easily qualifying for marriage vs retirement visa, on monthly income statement.  IF it stays above ฿33 / $1 USD, and that's a big if.  Not that I'm getting divorce or need to change anything.  But for a single person, could mean the difference between staying in country full time or as an occasional visitor.

Past plus new 5.9% coming January 2021:

COLA SS.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That little extra does add up.  If keeping up with USA Soc Sec program, those increases, for me, have totaled just shy of 50%.

The difference between easily qualifying for marriage vs retirement visa, on monthly income statement.  IF it stays above ฿33 / $1 USD, and that's a big if.  Not that I'm getting divorce or need to change anything.  But for a single person, could mean the difference between staying in country full time or as an occasional visitor.

Past plus new 5.9% coming January 2021:

COLA SS.jpg

We Brits only get to start drawing it from 65-68 and so only start losing out on the increases from then. The impact would be the same as a 1 baht movement in the exchange rate on their annual state pension amount. If a person is living that close to the line visa qualification wise with no means of making up a shortfall I don't think I'd recommending retiring to Thailand in the first place. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

For me, my Private (Final Salary Scheme / Defined Benefits, vests at 60) Pension is reduced by whatever I get as a State Pension... so why do I care if my state pension is frozen or not? 

I don't understand how your final salary company pension can be reduced by whatever you get as a state pension. They are totally independent of each other

Edited by Irate priest

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

We Brits only get to start drawing it from 65-68 and so only start losing out on the increases from then. The impact would be the same as a 1 baht movement in the exchange rate on their annual state pension amount. If a person is living that close to the line visa qualification wise with no means of making up a shortfall I don't think I'd recommending retiring to Thailand in the first place. 

I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to Thailand, no matter how much money they had.

Unless you already have a Thai wife and house here.

Different a few years back before Prayut and COVID and Brexit.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to Thailand, no matter how much money they had.

Unless you already have a Thai wife and house here.

Different a few years back before Prayut and COVID and Brexit.

How has Brexit effected you out of curiosity ?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1. Pound from 50 to 45.

2. I can no longer buy my retirement farm in France.

But I am still able to live comfortably in  Thailand.

Think pound just over 46 today with WISE and i'm fairly sure you can apply for residency in France if you meet the financial criteria and then purchase a property.

I too am still able to live comfortably in Thailand with my wife and child my only concern

35 minutes ago, Irate priest said:

Think pound just over 46 today with WISE and i'm fairly sure you can apply for residency in France if you meet the financial criteria and then purchase a property.

Compulsory health care tax in France screws foreign resident completely.

Just had a pal sell up in Spain after 20 years, and move here last year, says all the Brits are leaving.

Brexit has made living in Europe much harder than it was.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Irate priest said:

I don't understand how your final salary company pension can be reduced by whatever you get as a state pension. They are totally independent of each other

I don't claim to fully understand it either but seem to recall it's something to do with when Females could get their State Pension at 60 & Males got it at 65 so the bank I worked for paid everybody their Private pensions from 60 & subsidised the male pension by the state pension they would have got at 60 if they were female until they got the state pension & then reduced the Private Pension amount at state pension age so both male & female were always inline,

Only time I’ve ever known sexual equality to work in my favour. 

Obviously now both male & female get their pension at 67 it doesn't really matter save I paid into that pension on those conditions long before that was the case so am still covered by those rules & both male & female get subsidised pension (to include the State Penson element) from 60 until they recieve their State Pension from the government at which time the private pension is dropped by whatever they recieve.

Net result is you continue to recieve the same amount so it doesn't matter if the government increased the State Pension age to 150 or refused to pay it to me as an expat in terms of how much total pension income I would recieve. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I do know people here in Thailand, who pretty much spend all of their time here , but I guess they maintain a UK residence or address, and are on the electoral roll. They get the pension increases, and even get heating allowance in winter, despite being in balmy Thailand. Always regarded that as pretty bad form. The fact that some countries get increases and some do not, is of course wrong... but I prefer not to practice to deceive..

TBH I don't care if guys want to do that, it's up to them & I honestly think that they have a point in having paid into the system for so long.

But it's when they call guys that don't want to live their lives like that "Idiots" that really gets my goat.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but those 'Colonel Blimp' type guys are the first to call everyone else thieves and fraudsters.

I'm thinking a big helping of MYOB is in order on this one.

Agreed 100% & I did only respond as the guy was very forceful with his assessment of "Idiots" who chose a different path to him (in hindsight I didn't need to comment). 

LaLL (Live & let Live) is my motto, as I've said I do think there is a moral case for people claiming the pension they've spent their lives working for, the fact that the government sees this differently means we all have decisions to make.

No idiots here, just people doing what's right for them.

Edited by Mike Teavee