Sadly I feel my time in the LOS is coming to an end

2 hours ago, ed strong said:

Hopefully you will get the recognition you deserve in the next country you decide to call home, good luck.

Anyone with that kind of mindset as the  op have, will have problems anywhere in this world with something or somebody! 

But it is his first post on this forum, and it is a nice story for newbies to read who still have their pink glasses on. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I disagree. For many of us life is an ever evolving process. Committing to something 15 years ago should not inhibit one from progress, change, and moving on. And complaining about the current state of affairs here is simply a natural thing to do, and a realistic way to look at things. A lack of sympathy for someone wanting to change and improve their lives is in itself a rather narrow minded state of affairs. 

15 years ago we all got more for our money, and visas was as easy to hand over the passports to and agent who fixed everything for 500 or 1000 baht. The girls smiled  and nobody had their face in the phones. We where the rock stars here in Thailand. Doesnt feel like that anymore, but still a good country to live if you do know your days could be limited here on short notice for any reasons. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

You will probably find the poster has been around TV for years.  just using a different persona for this.  Plenty of people on here have re-invented themselves for various reasons.

.......usually because home alone.....????

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have never read or heard of one single valid argument to justify the existence of double pricing based on nationality alone. 

Neither have I , but I know of certain ' Apartheid ' states that act like this because a part of the population is regarded as ' inferior ' because their external appearance is different from the main population , nothing else ... that is called ' Racism '.

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It's when you start doing comparisons to other possible destinations that you realize that no place is perfect and that no matter where you live, trade-offs will have to be made.

Compromises will have to be made everywhere ... it is just about finding the ones that suit you best .

There are many things that go terribly wrong in Thailand now , but , for me , it is still better living here ...

My private Utopia will just be an illusion , realized that many years ago .

In Thailand , life is still easy , if you can avoid making mistakes .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I disagree. For many of us life is an ever evolving process. Committing to something 15 years ago should not inhibit one from progress, change, and moving on. And complaining about the current state of affairs here is simply a natural thing to do, and a realistic way to look at things. A lack of sympathy for someone wanting to change and improve their lives is in itself a rather narrow minded state of affairs. 

I had a totally different reading of the post you responded to... He did not mean commit to your decisions and never change. He meant commit to your (possibly bad) decisions and don't whinge about it and move on. My reading of it anyway...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Concerned observer said:

Having been here now for more than 15 years I fear that my time of investing my life's savings and pensions, earned in my home country, in Thailand, is coming to an end. Certain issues have made me rethink my future and I shall now start looking for suitable alternatives. I am sick and tired on the Thai peoples xenophobia - Thais first, their constant begging for overseas support/investment/aid, their belief that everything they do, say and demand is right, and that every other country and or national from that country is wrong. "Thailand does and always will, belong to the Thais" - as they religiously sing at 8am and 6pm every day although, perhaps not as much as they did five years ago. They are a very proud nation and always boast of never having been colonised - their history books conveniently omit to state that when the Japanese invaded on 8 December 1941 the 'war' that lasted all of 5 hours enabled the Japanese forces to march across Thailand to Burma. The previous 'war' that was over almost before it started was the Franco-Thai war in December 1940 and January 1941 was brief and inconclusive. The the Thai regime of Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram celebrated the outcome of the war as a great victory, and the monument was commissioned, designed, and erected within a few months (Google it) which soon after became known as "the victory of embarrassment" by the Italian sculptor Corrado Feroci, who worked under the Thai name Silpa Bhirasi. I worked out this morning that I have purchased 5 new cars and one secondhand since I have been here. 5 new motorcycles and one secondhand. Purchased 3 condominiums, purchased land through my Thai wife and built two houses. Launched a company from scratch and employed countless Thai staff and sub contractors and paid 10 years of tax and SS - probably more than 75% of Thais will pay in their lifetime. Yet still I am treated like an idiot, ATM and with disrespect. There has been more than 30 military coup d'état attempts throughout the history of Thailand. The current "elected" government - I use the term lightly seem not to have the slightest clue how to run a country but are very good at buying useless military equipment and lining their own pockets. The "Joe Ferrari" case is and was a farce and he was even given a TV opportunity to explain his actions as "for the good of the Thai people". Watch him get away with having his wrists slapped after waiing profusely becoming a monk fore 30 days and absolving himself of any wrongdoing. What amazed me was Patchara Anuntasilpa, the Customs department’s director-general, who said the department examined its records and found that Police Colonel Thitisan had been the official in charge of confiscating 368 illegally imported vehicles, including luxury cars and supercars, during the period. Of the total, 363 cars were auctioned, raking in about 1 billion baht, and the remaining five have not been sold. According to customs regulations at the time, 30% of the proceeds from all smuggled products were incentives for police teams or those bringing cases to the attention of authorities and 25% were rewards to other officials, including police. The same could be said for DPM Prawit who has become incredibly rich despite just being an Army General being caught wearing 25 undeclared luxury watches. The majority of Thai people that I have met are gentle, good hearted, honest people but with role models in Thailand's elite purely interested in self-interest it is hardly surprising that most Thais now are always looking for an opportunity. The standards of Thai education are appalling - that is why any Thai that can afford it now either pays for the children to study abroad, in an international school or in a paid for Thai school. Prayut Chan-o-cha Thailand's prime minister and junta leader, said in 2017 that school reform was urgently needed. Following the military takeover of May 2014, Prayut, in a televised broadcast in July, ordered schools to display a list of 12 "Thai" values he composed.They are as follows:

Honesty, sacrifice, endurance, and noble ideology for the greater good

Gratitude for parents, guardians, and teachers

Diligence in acquiring knowledge, via school studies and other methods

Preserving Thai customs and tradition

Morality and goodwill toward others

Discipline, respect for law, and obedience to the older citizens

Physical and mental strength. Refusal to surrender to religious sins.

Uphold the interest of the nation over oneself.

Such a pity that he does not practice what he preaches

Quite a rant against Thailand, it would have been easier to read had you spaced it. Anyhow all of this dribble would not have a great impact on your life here, Life is what you make it and you can easily sidestep anything you don't like here or anywhere else. You should leave quickly, good luck.

4 hours ago, Concerned observer said:

• Like 1

Foreigner and this is the word that at a certain point begins to weigh over the years.

In the first years you do not care then over time you begin to make comparisons with your country where you have more rights and privileges than Thailand and then I start thinking about returning your country sooner or later for many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

The world has changed so drastically in the past 1.5 years, you might not like any place.

Nothing you mentioned should not mean too much if you don't read the newspaper/news and just live life.

You make a very good point.   The trouble is......  when i go out I keep running into PEOPLE !  

(please,  no eyesight jokes)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khabib said:

I felt the same, until uk government decided to have a interest in my happy and successful family. Particularly taking a very close interest in my then, young, polite, good looking children. I'm afraid it turns out the uk government is an outrageous and disgusting corrupt organisation. I suggest looking up what family courts can do to people's lives (children), or perhaps the court of protection (selling old people homes) and putting them in care homes run by their social service buddies. You will find, these courts act in secret, cannot be public knowledge. I must suggest, take a peek behind the curtain in uk, you will not like what you see. Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, Telford to name but a few. Jimmy Savile. Its rotten to the core in my opinion. Fortunately, we just came back to Thailand to escape that nightmare 10 years ago, very good decision, in hindsight for me.

Living in the UK so of course I have a view based on my personal experiences.  Certainly the country is run by clueless donkeys with the opposition consisting of clueless donkeys singing a different tune.  Are they corrupt? Yes, in a self preservation sort of way.  The truth has no value as Boris demonstrates on a daily basis.  However, the people are starting to kick back so lets' see how that pans out in the future.

When we moved here from Thailand my wife took a while getting used to having to do things by the book.  No longer could a fistful of 1,000 baht notes get us anything we desired.

• Like 1