Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

6 hours ago, seajae said:

when you are attacked in your own home with a gun weilding robber you are entitled to defend yourself, in any other country it would be recognised as self defence, if a thai had done it, it would also be looked at as self defence but because a farang that was 10 years older than the robber did it he is being charged, really shows the anti farang views/laws they have here. 

we are no better thought of than soi dogs ..defend your home against a thug with a gun and you go to prison Bad Farang ..you could make this s#it up could you ...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Is there no such thing as self defence in Thailand so if an intruder breaks into my house I’m not allowed to defend myself but he can kill me with his gun . That’s why the adverts always start with 

“ Amazing Thailand “ nothing ceases to amaze me !

Calm down, calm down .

There is self defence laws in Thailand and you are allowed to defend yourself and he cannot legally kill you with a gun.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Scales a wall with a loaded gun: he's in good shape ? The gun: who really owns it; where did it come from, given fire-arms are illegal except for police ?

63 year old Swiss overpowers him:  he's in good shape, martial artist ? Sathian: drunk or drugged ? Wife asleep: she doesn't wake up when she hears sounds of a fight; is she drunk, sedated, part of the plot ?

Too many missing puzzle pieces.

That is likely what the police would want us to believe.

My questions

1. Any witnesses or CCTV to the intrusion, or just householder’s word?

2. Why throw the gun in the pond? Remove householder’s DNA/fingerprints? If he wanted to guard tied up intruder, should keep gun, also destroyed evidence that would support his story.

3. Why call Puu Yai Baan before police emergency number? What needed to be discussed?

Let’s hope there is a thorough investigation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If it is a case of self defense , I am quite sure that the Swiss guy will not face any prosecution 

You’re 'sure',are you? You do realise this is Thailand and a farang has killed a Thai,have you not heard tales of totally blameless farangs in road accidents with an unlicensed Thai rider (often drunk) being railroaded into admitting liability because he has insurance ? Don’t think the police might be considering the earner they might be able to manufacture.You are either naive,not the most perceptive…or both.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

An investigation is definitely warranted after a death. Hopefully it is true and fair and looks at all possibilities as it does look as if there are a whole array of possibilities here. Things aren't always black and white. May the real truth be redeemed

Edited by Zack61
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It has been stated that the Thai Woman was friends with the deceased and that he was attracted to her .

It has not been stated they were friends. 

They are known to each other (community is small). The deceased once made advances which were rejected. 

The interest in her is because of her relationship with the deceased , rather than what Country she comes from . 

There was no relationship with the deceased, there is no indication of a relationship with between the wife and the deceased - there is only the assumption of ’some’ that there was because they where known to each other which is not abnormal in a small community. 

If she was in a relationship with the deceased , then this case may not be a robbery gone wrong 

IF... but some posters are making a huge leap. 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t do any such thing......  

Do you guys really expect That the Police will just shrug their shoulders and walk away without any investigation ?

I agree, this 'completely lays bare the ugly truth about all the Xenophobia and Racism’ but not in the same manner you suggest, it highlights the Xenophobia and Racism of some of the posters who fail to recognise that an investigation has to take place..... 

Very true, an Investigation does have to take place

However, somebody that is helping with the Investigation is not Arrested.

They are held whilst the Police Investigate, and should he be found guilty of some offence, then, and only then should he be arrested.

Arrested from the get go, gives the impression that he is guilty of a Crime prior to any Investigation taking place..

• Like 1

when you are attacked in your own home with a gun weilding robber you are entitled to defend yourself, in any other country it would be recognised as self defence, if a thai had done it, it would also be looked at as self defence but because a farang that was 10 years older than the robber did it he is being charged, really shows the anti farang views/laws they have here. 

Not in UK unfortunately. Remember Tony Martin?

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

because he is SWiss, a Thai would have praised for handling the robber...

A great reason that millions of tourists will stay away from a country that condemns the innocent and praises the criminal (if they are Thai) .. It’s one inept and corrupt system that is now being realized 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry not so 

In Canada you would be charged No matter if it was in your home or not  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

clear as mud.  All of those things are assumptions at this point as there were no witnesses.  Its only the Swiss mates version

He was in Swiss man's house with a loaded gun, whether he wanted the money or the wife is immaterial.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, jesimps said:

He was in Swiss man's house with a loaded gun, whether he wanted the money or the wife is immaterial.

How do you know that 'he' had the loaded gun?  Because the guy who killed him said so?   See what I mean, thrown in the pond means no finger prints or DNA, odd eh? 

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Very true, an Investigation does have to take place

However, somebody that is helping with the Investigation is not Arrested.

They are held whilst the Police Investigate, and should he be found guilty of some offence, then, and only then should he be arrested.

Arrested from the get go, gives the impression that he is guilty of a Crime prior to any Investigation taking place..

He is not ‘helping’ the investigation, he is the subject of the investigation where someone has been killed. 

I do agree with you that ‘he should only be arrested and charged of an offence’ IF the police believe he is guilt of an offence. But, you are transferring western norms onto the Thai legal system. 

In Thailand it is also the norm that if a vehicular accident results in a death that involved parties are automatically charged with ‘reckless driving leading to death’....  this is just normal procedure but is highly alarming for any foreigner involved who is not familiar with this and suspects they are being railroaded. 

The same can be applied here.... an incident has involved a death, in the same manner as the car accident situation a charge has been levied which will most likely be dropped after an investigation has taken place. 

We are just witnessing a different legal system from a distance, thats all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

So in your view,  one person's word is all that is needed is it?  I don't think so.  Why throw the gun in the pond, odd that.  Why tie up the man if he is unconscious, odd that.  What is the relationship between the man and the wife all about, odd that.  Lots of unanswered questions here.  

When my ex- pulled a gun on me, jammed it in my temple and pulled the trigger whereupon it jammed, I grabbed it and it went out of the upstairs bedroom window, over the wall and into the neighbor's backyard wilderness.

Then I tied her up to stop her going back downstairs to get her usual implement, the kitchen knife.

At the time of this event, her relationship with one of our lodgers wasn't known.

YMMV

TiT

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

Sorry not so 

In Canada you would be charged No matter if it was in your home or not  

Same in Australia, you'd be arrested and charged. You'd end up before a judge for him/her to decide.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

...have you not heard tales of totally blameless farangs in road accidents with an unlicensed Thai rider (often drunk) being railroaded into admitting liability because he has insurance...

Not recently, no. Thanks for resurrecting the myth though.

YMMV

TiT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If this Swiss man is charged with any offence at all, the Thais can kiss goodbye to attracting the high rolling Foreign people that they are so desperately seeking.

The potential 1 Million or so Digital Nomads Etc Etc Etc, will just say " <deleted> that, if I cannot defend myself , and what is mine, without prosecution."

Especially as only recently a Swiss woman tourist was murdered in Phuket. If the Thai government is trying to attract rich visitors to the country, and the Swiss are known for having a few Francs, then they are off to a bad start.

But we'll see if common sense prevails. This being Thailand, I doubt it. There have been cases in my native UK where similar deaths have occurred and, from memory, I think the owner of the property received little to no punishment.

3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It won't surprise me if the Thai man entered on behalf of the woman to kill her husband and perhaps to collect the insurance premium.

Exactly

They are nuts for life insurance here.

• Like 1