Customer at hydraulics shop killed after pick-up driver mistakes accelerator for the brake

webfact

8pmVI.jpg

Phrapradaeng police were called after an incident at a hydraulics supplies shop on Suksawat Road on Saturday evening, reported Sanook.

A Toyota Revo had suddenly reversed into the shop crushing Krissana, 43, and his Honda Wave under a rear wheel.

The victim was rushed to Bang Pakok 3 Hospital but was dead on arrival. 

Jarulak, 43, the pick-up driver said he'd been out shopping and was reversing into his place next to the hydraulics shop.

He pressed the wrong pedal mistaking the accelerator for the brake. 

Nawin, 30, an employee of the shop said that both he and the customer saw the pick-up coming at speed. He managed to jump to saftey but Krissana was not so lucky.

The police detained Jarulak and charged him with negligent driving causing death. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Nawin, 30, an employee of the shop said that both he and the customer saw the pick-up coming at speed. He managed to jump to saftey but Krissana was not so lucky.

How much time did the driver need to realize that he was moving fast in reverse? How he managed not to realize he was moving/accelearating? Drugs/drunk?

• Like 2

He pressed the wrong pedal mistaking the accelerator for the brake.

it is a hard thing to do since you only have only 2 pedal and knowing to release when you step on the wrong one, it is something you react on instant, i say under the influence of some source.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

You just never know when the Grim Reaper is going to come calling. Just another reason to make the most out of each and every day. 

Yes, you do know! At the time someone mistakes the accelerator for the brake.

• Like 1

Seen similar things happen here on multiple occasions; thankfully with nobody hurt.   Last week a Bloke in  his Crew Cab Chrome adorned Pick-Up with oversized wheels was backing into a space next to me in Makro when he made a similar mistake.  Crash went the Guard Poles to the Padestrian Walkway behind us and crunch went the front of a Mazda parked in the bay behind, some 2.5 mts away including up and back down a 10cm concrete walkway, which as luck would have it was unoccupied.   Many of these people should go back to Buffalo Carts !

• Like 1

I believe that it was probably a driver who uses two feet to drive, I have seen it everywhere in Asia particularly. 

Mostly with Autos you can see the brake lights flicking on and off while accelerating. 

This causes the sensation of pushing down with both feet in an emergency and the accelerator wins. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, vinci said:

it is a hard thing to do since you only have only 2 pedal and knowing to release when you step on the wrong one, it is something you react on instant, i say under the influence of some source.

I may be wrong, but I often get the impression many local drivers do not react very quickly in such situations (if at all). I see it when on straight roads, following other vehicles and they don't seem to react to something ahead or in front of them.