Double Vaxxed And Caught Covid: Anyone Else?

BKKBike09

17 minutes ago, rickudon said:

A friend of my son in the UK (aged 29) has now had Covid-19 three times, twice since July after being at least vaccinated once. He is an idiot, careless with mask wearing and social distancing, got the last 2 from a nightclub and his birthday party. 

I think breakthrough infections are going to be a lot higher than reported. Because in most cases symptoms are minor, just like flu, not always any medical record of it.

I wonder how many people he’s infected. Pretty selfish behaviour.

5 minutes ago, happydays said:

I wonder how many people he’s infected. Pretty selfish behaviour.

last time was his birthday - had a house party. By 5 days later, all 3 house occupants had Covid-19 (confirmed by tests).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why?

I wouldnt trust preparation, storage, handling and administration in Thailand tried to get a shot in BHP was refused.

I was lucky after arrival and self isolation I was given the pfizer had a birdseye view into a large room where they preped then each loaded needle delivered in a small booth administered by a nurse it was so professional and orderly I felt it was worth having.

A shot in a similar centre in thailand would not have the same level of expertise its first v third world.

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

What brand of tests turned negative and positive?

One was UK NHS free test (brought some back) and one was bought locally. They're both made in China but I didn't look to see if made by same company.

6 hours ago, sapson said:

have you tested again to get the negative confirmation?

Did another LFT after 10 days from 1st symptoms. Negative. That's good enough for me. NHS / CDC /WHO guidance all says that 10 days after 1st symptoms you're no longer infectious IF no ongoing fever / no new symptoms etc.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm now double vaccinated with Pfizer but have no intentions of dropping my guard and will continue to live my life for the foreseeable future the same way I have been doing for the last 18 months.

Your choice, of course. But for me the whole point of getting vaccinated is to ditch masks and social distancing. Sure there's a risk of catching Covid but I was happy to take that risk and still am.

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

You didn't notify the authorities because you didn't want to panic your neighbours? Is that your reason? ????

Partly. but more the comment below from Denim: last thing I wanted was to be put in a 'hospitel' for 14 days. Tenants in house of mine thought they had Covid: next thing they knew ambulance with guys in space suits turned up and carted them all off to an expensive private hospital. They all tested positive (mum, dad, two young kids) but weren't ever very sick. The mooban management were on the phone to us in 30 minutes demanding to know their timeline etc etc. I told them I had no idea and to ask the tenants. People are so conditioned to be fearful of this disease that yes, I didn't want to panic my neighbours. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Husband and wife , Thai friends of wife in their mid 50's. Both had Delta a month ago. They were rounded up by the authorities and put into the local emergency quarantine facility.

Exactly why keeping shtum if you're not very sick is an attractive idea.

45 minutes ago, rickudon said:

A friend of my son in the UK (aged 29) has now had Covid-19 three times, twice since July after being at least vaccinated once. He is an idiot, careless with mask wearing and social distancing, got the last 2 from a nightclub and his birthday party. 

I think breakthrough infections are going to be a lot higher than reported. Because in most cases symptoms are minor, just like flu, not always any medical record of it.

Out of interest, why is he 'an idiot'? For wanting to have a life? As you say, in most cases symptoms are minor - especially in that age group - so why not live a bit?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

No it's not.In the vast majority of cases it's not even necessary to go to hospital

That's true, but in the US the true Covid death toll is more than one million, based on excess deaths, not confirmed Covid cases.  One milion deaths is more than the 1918 flu and more than all the wars, except for the Civil War.  So, an epidemic disease does not have to have a infection fatality rate to have a major impact. 

• Sad 1

My elderly sister, age 82, her daughter and husband, have all been DVBCC, in the United Kingdom, following AZ inoculations.

Complained that it was like a severe influenza, debilitating, but, fortunately, not deadly!

As we have read many times, having the vaccine does not prevent either infection or transmission, but certainly reduces the impact severity if Covid is caught following the jab.

Edited by allanos
typo

18 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

So that will be for another 3 years or so. If that's how you wish to live, that is your prerogative. But not for me.

Well some people believe that masks are around for the long haul. Between Covid and the PM 2.5 air issues I believe in them too.

20211006_112354.jpg

20211006_112412.jpg

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Sad that the 'vaccines' are not 'sterilizing vaccines' that promote full-immunity.  What the world really needed are Covid vaccines that give the recipient full immunity - like the polio vaccine.  Or the mumps vaccines.  Or the measles vaccines - all of which I've had.  Haven't had a chicken pox vaccine as I'm old enough to have had chicken pox.  I would give that vaccine to my own children. 

It concerns me deeply that the Covid vaccines do not provide that type of full immunity.  And as such they are "leaky" and leaky vaccines cause "immune escape" leading to mutation.
Yeah, I'm concerned. A lot as I have double-jabbed (in the US) family members fighting Covid break-through infections as I write this. And they are very sick.

"But you need to keep taking vaccines!", we are being told.  Well then, it never ends - how convenient for those making vaccine profits. 

This current generation of Covid vaccines, imho, will never work - not vaccines that do not provide full immunity.  Hopefully Big Pharma and government regulators will allow proven anti-virals to address this issue. 
This ends with anti-viral and anti-viral prophylaxis treatment as far as I"m concerned.  This generation of Covid vaccines are a merry-go-round that you will never, ever get off.

You miss the point though, as not all vaccines are sterilizing.  Look at the flu and pnuemococal vaccines or even HEP B or TB, you still need boosters either every year or 5 years.

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

My wife had double Pfizer shots (we're in the US) and still caught covid pneumonia.

She was pretty rough for a few days. But as the Doc said, "you're vaccinated so you just have to tough it out like a bad case of real flu and you'll be fine".

He was right, but pretty sure after seeing how sick she was, straight up covid without being vaccinated is an express train to a ventilator!

I hope a few Asian Now experts on vaccines  read your story . 

If you get covid after having two Moderna, isn't that the same as having a booster shot? The booster shot is to get extra antibodies into your system, covid does the same thing; right ?

BTW, I had two Moderna shots and then was diagnosed with Covid six weeks after the second shot. I'm considering that having a booster for my immune system.

Edited by IAMHERE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

If you get covid after having two Moderna, isn't that the same as having a booster shot? The booster shot is to get extra antibodies into your system, covid does the same thing; right ?

BTW, I had two Moderna shots and then was diagnosed with Covid six weeks after the second shot. I'm considering that having a booster for my immune system.

Get an antibody test.?

1 hour ago, connda said:

Sad that the 'vaccines' are not 'sterilizing vaccines' that promote full-immunity.  What the world really needed are Covid vaccines that give the recipient full immunity - like the polio vaccine.  Or the mumps vaccines.  Or the measles vaccines - all of which I've had. 

No vaccine ever gives full immunity. The polio, measles, and mumps vaccine were so successful because everyone got them, so even breakthrough cases were unlikely to spread further.

The mRNA vaccines are not "leaky", they are borderline miraculous. And now with the treatment coming from Merck it'll be a 1-2 punch that will get us back to reasonably normal much more quickly.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Sad that the 'vaccines' are not 'sterilizing vaccines' that promote full-immunity.  What the world really needed are Covid vaccines that give the recipient full immunity - like the polio vaccine.  Or the mumps vaccines.  Or the measles vaccines - all of which I've had.  Haven't had a chicken pox vaccine as I'm old enough to have had chicken pox.  I would give that vaccine to my own children. 

It is sad to see that you are so badly ignorant of the effectiveness of vaccines.

Polio vaccine is not a sterilising vaccine, there are breakthrough cases. Mumps, Chicken pox, Whooping Cough etc vaccines all have breakthrough infections, however the severity of the diseases are reduced.

The reasons that there are not widespread outbreaks are because the breakthroughs aren’t very contagious and are quite rare as the diseases are not widespread and the percentage vaccinated is high. So someone with a breakthrough infection is easily isolated or treated.

Covid19 however is both extremely widespread, highly contagious and has a low vaccination population. So people with breakthrough infections are likely to contact unvaccinated individuals, thusly though they are less likely to pass it on with very short term contact they will have many more opportunities to infect new people. 

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Yes, though vaccination + infection may give better protection than vaccination + booster 

People can be double vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna and still die from Covid. That happened to a woman I know of in USA. She was about 65 yo however she did have heart problems and was on life support until the family had no choice but to discontinue further treatment.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, allanos said:

As we have read many times, having the vaccine does not prevent either infection or transmission, but certainly reduces the impact severity if Covid is caught following the jab.

Slightly misleading statement: having the vaccine does not prevent 100% of infections or all transmission, but having a vaccine prevents ‘most infections’ and prevents further transmission in the majority of cases. 

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Great report.

Perhaps the vaccine saved your life.

A very co$tly hospital stay at least.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Keep us updated and thanks for the report.

Thanks. Perhaps it did save my life. Or perhaps the mild illness I had was as sick as I would have been if unvaccinated. Probably that is unlikely but we'll never know. At least 4 friends of my age had Covid in UK last year before they were vaxxed; none went to hospital.

Over the years I've had 5 days hospitalised with amoebic dysentry (not fun), and a similar period with dengue (also not fun; second time I've had that) I've never seen Covid as being something terrifying. I'm not fat, don't smoke, don't have any underlying illnesses etc. Living in the tropics there are all manner of diseases that can make life very miserable or worse.

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thats the law.

True, in Thailand for the moment. But 'compliance with the law' is often a flexible concept in Thailand, which is one of the pleasures - and sometimes frustrations - of living here.

Many people think they are immune if vaxed. You're not. Just means you're unlikely to go to hospital- isolation at home will suffice with paracetamol & plenty of water. 

Covid like flu cannot be eradicated its here to stay so get prepared to catch it again some time.  Its predicted most people will get it  more than once over the next couple of years. Hence the importance of the jab for us oldies. 

7 hours ago, tandor said:

..of course you may still become infected regardless of a full vaccination, MRNA or not...plus a booster..just that your symptoms should appear less severe and hopefully you will avoid hospitalization and death. We all will probably catch Covid-19, so best to keep wearing your mask when in crowded areas and keep social distancing until 90% of the World is vaccinated...good luck.

90% of the world??? That's unlikely to happen.

The vast majority of people who get covid, vaccinated or not, do not end up in the hospital or dying. This virus is not nearly as deadly as a lot of you are implying. 

You are probably correct that everybody will get covid, so it is best to get vaccinated. Turns highly unlikely hospitalization or death into basically not going to happen.