Bangkok governor inspects water propelling boats in lower Chao Phraya River

webfact

It seems a return to Thailand's Great Flood of 2011. At the time it was described as  a100 year flood. Here is what they spent the money on then;

"As much as 50 billion baht has already been spent so far on the implementation of the flood control plan. Other expenses include 24 billion baht on road improvements, 3 billion baht on the construction of flood walls around industrial estates and another 10 billion baht on the development of basic infrastructure". 

"Additional water retention areas of around 2.1 million rai are expected to be set up with a combined capacity to hold up to 5.1 billion cubic meters of floodwater."

10 years later (not 100 years), those power boats are back in use again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, they can only help to shift about 600,000m3 a day.  Doesn't sound much, but if that's 600,000m3 that doesn't get into people's houses, it's a good thing, isn't it?  I know I'd prefer if I didn't get even 1m3 in mine.

Credit where it's due; this won't do much, but it will do something.

• Like 1

he went there to inspect how much money is there to grease his palms.

A larger effect on flood situation would be dredging that canal and all other canals in bangkok, to increase flow and their holding capacity.

My canals wasn't dredged for 7 years now, probably has now a half meter of residue.

Bangkok needs properly designed dredgers, not just floating platforms (even not barges) with diggers on undercarriage.

I have never seen dredgers on rivers and canals, only on sea off Pattaya and Jomtien.

The work should be done constantly through all year. Dry season should be the best time to do, so they can exactly see the job.

I have also never seen dredging of city canals along roads.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

A 1 in 100 year flood can happen every year. It might be expected to happen 1 year in every 100 years, but if it happens this year, it can still happen next year. Think it's one of those probability thingies.

Think it's one of those probability thingies.

My thingie probably doesn't work 2 times out of three.  But, hey, it happens.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The river is probably doing about 1,000m3 per second unassisted. So that's 86,400,000m3 per day.

Assuming these beaties have an average pushing capacity of 50,000m3 per day, x 12 that's 600,000m3 per day.

So an increase of about 0.7%!

I'll keep on filling our freshly delivered sandbags!

EDIT WOW!! Our level is down 5cm on this time yesterday so maybe they do work!!!

Or maybe it's just tidal effects :whistling:

And imagine those heavy submarines cruising along the river. This will add even more weight.

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Is it true they have ordered 3 million Hatari desk fans to blow

the smoke over to Burma

And in a similar vein If they got all the mothballed Thai airways planes  flying 24/7  they could  blow those rain clouds away thus avoiding the yearly flooding ????

• Haha 2

The odd aircraft carrier and submarine can also be put to useful work as well as pipeline supplies to a number of clapped out water cannon trucks. If climate change rainfall lasts till Songran then water fights could also be deployed at hitherto unseen levels of ferocity. Raising the water table in Bangkok to stop it sinking could help. Visions of Waterworld and useful mutations, Death in Venice etc all spring to mind. Greening the Sahara might also be possible using all those defunct tankers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Must be some really smart guys in the Royal Thai Navy! Hopefully they don't have to fight a war in the future.    

To be used as water cannon at the next protest...

And next Year, there will be yet another drought. Joined up thinking.. No chance.