Have you ever felt unsafe or victim?

georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I once had an Aussie tourist ask me to take his photo on Walking Street during the day.

He told me he wanted to get a picture on the "most dangerous street in Pattaya".

I still wonder where he got his information.

Auckland city is more dangerous in the daytime,  than walking St is at 3am. Pre Covid...the worst situation is with drunk Arabs and Russians in walking St.. 

• Like 1

Twice in 17 years' residence:

a)  School-age kid tried to lift my wallet on Sukhumvit main drag.  Around 8.00pm, many pedestrians about.  Not an accomplished "lifter" - I felt and grabbed his hand as it went into my pocket.  Bit of a hubbub after I released him - the stall holders grabbed him and began yelling at him.  No sight of his "minder".

b)  Also in Bangkok, walking home to my condo down a side soi off Ploenchit.  About 11.00pm.

The pavement (sidewalk for US readers) is built around some big trees with religious regalia wrappings.  Man appeared from behind a tree with a metal bar raised in his hand.  Old military training kicked in and I decked him.  Ran home and called a local cop I knew well.  Quick turnout, but the perp had disappeared.  Likely suspect arrested for a similar offence a short time later: yaba head who had robbed/tried to rob a few folks near foreign-heavy condos. 

Edit: No trouble at all since moving up-country 14 years ago.

Edited by yang123
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, yang123 said:

Twice in 17 years' residence:

a)  School-age kid tried to lift my wallet on Sukhumvit main drag.  Around 8.00pm, many pedestrians about.  Not an accomplished "lifter" - I felt and grabbed his hand as it went into my pocket.  Bit of a hubbub after I released him - the stall holders grabbed him and began yelling at him.  No sight of his "minder".

b)  Also in Bangkok, walking home to my condo down a side soi off Ploenchit.  About 11.00pm.

The pavement (sidewalk for US readers) is built around some big trees with religious regalia wrappings.  Man appeared from behind a tree with a metal bar raised in his hand.  Old military training kicked in and I decked him.  Ran home and called a local cop I knew well.  Quick turnout, but the perp had disappeared.  Likely suspect arrested for a similar offence a short time later: yaba head who had robbed/tried to rob a few folks near foreign-heavy condos. 

Edit: No trouble at all since moving up-country 14 years ago.

religious regalia wrappings

You mean all those advertising to sell you a condo unit?

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Every single day before I get my first beer. That´s real anxiety!

Imagine turning around in the morning, and the only thing you see is the last empty bottle since yesterday. You look at the time and it´s only four.

Oh my God! It´s a full hour left until the first Mom N Pop - Shop opens up for egg, vegetables and beer.

Imagine how victimized I feel all the time!

Egg....vegetables......and beer ??  ..................i couldnt imagine eating a boiled egg with beer or broccoli ????

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, grain said:

I have a couple of times, and it was in the day, nothing to do with drunks in bars at night. Agro farang having a go at me in the street as I was walking home from shopping at Big C. I'm in my early 70s and know that getting into street fights is not a wise thing at my age,  so both times I just shut up and kept walking. To me this is one of the worst aspects of getting into old age because if I was still in my 30s-40s-50s I would have held my ground and said...yeah mutha fuka, have a go.

was you walking in their way ?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Did those 2 farang just had a shower together and the one with his towel is bringing his boyfriend in short, back home?

Disgusting people, hope the baht bus back wheel hits a pothole and both these shirtless guys go flying off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have to agree with OP, as only A-holes I've encountered were farangs.   After first couple years here, learned to simply avoid them like the plague.

Safety on the road, never an issue, as self drive, whether scooter or cars.  Defensive driving & much slower than in the past, has kept me alive.

Male, so feel very safe here.

One night I was sitting in my neighbor Darkside bar and the guy next to me was there with his wife, I somewhat knew him in the past, he wasn't a full fledge MC gang member more of a wanna be but I never had any problems with him, this night he was in a bad mood, he was cussing his wife up and down, "You stupid #$*%(, good for nothing $*%(^, you're a %*%*$%" this went on for several minutes, and then I politely said "Hey, come on man, give her a break", WRONG move, this somehow infuriated him and now all his rage was directed at me.  He was right up in my face looking for a fight, I swear I thought he was going to throw a punch. As he was distracted by a few others I slipped the bartender 200b to cover my bin and eased out of there.  Lesson learned, never get involved in a domestic dispute. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John435 said:

Farangs (Russian) sold me a car. Got it checked by the driving centre garage. 3rd party (Thai) involved said no accident. After sale, next garage I went to said it had “too much accident”. The 3rd party had also offered to update my green book for me for B5000 and after many calls has still not given the book back. I now have no tax and she won’t answer my calls. Not a violent crime but sucks to be the victim. Any suggestions by the way?

I reckon you're to blame. 

From what I read you did not follow the proper procedure when purchasing used vehicles, if you did you would have your blue book. 

Be accountable. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Chris.B said:

You are not street wise, that's the problem. :drunk: If you want to retire somewhere more quiet go to Cha-Am, everybody there goes to bed at 9pm. ????????

I have seen some action in Cha-am a few times but that was years ago.

5 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

I just avoid the baht bus scene as best I can????

BA3277F3-9705-47D1-9727-3F38A81E6801.jpeg

Only now I realize how much I miss our quality tourists, not making a joke too, life was fun with these figures around.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, bbko said:

One night I was sitting in my neighbor Darkside bar and the guy next to me was there with his wife, I somewhat knew him in the past, he wasn't a full fledge MC gang member more of a wanna be but I never had any problems with him, this night he was in a bad mood, he was cussing his wife up and down, "You stupid #$*%(, good for nothing $*%(^, you're a %*%*$%" this went on for several minutes, and then I politely said "Hey, come on man, give her a break", WRONG move, this somehow infuriated him and now all his rage was directed at me.  He was right up in my face looking for a fight, I swear I thought he was going to throw a punch. As he was distracted by a few others I slipped the bartender 200b to cover my bin and eased out of there.  Lesson learned, never get involved in a domestic dispute. 

i had a friend here in Sydney in his 60's coming back from the pub one night 2 years ago to see a couple arguing both seem to be british backpackers ,he intervened and tried to help the girl ,the young guy ended up punching him to the ground and the girl who he helped stole his phone,the cops ended up finding them at the backpacker hostel

Edited by georgegeorgia

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Egg....vegetables......and beer ??  ..................i couldnt imagine eating a boiled egg with beer or broccoli ????

AS you couldn´t imagine that my whole post was a joke of the OP.

15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

your another one who has a "hate" against your own farang

I hate these morons who walk around shirtless in public, did you not notice these two on the back of the baht bus? Or maybe you should see an optician.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I hate these morons who walk around shirtless in public, did you not notice these two on the back of the baht bus? Or maybe you should see an optician.

People wandering around in swimming cossies or just with towels wrapped around them ......

Not entirely unexpected in a place pretending to be a 'beach resort'.

Totally harmless.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, georgegeorgia said:

was you walking in their way ?

Not at all. One, I think he was Russian, was walking towards me and when he had nearly reached me he suddenly cut across in front of me and banged into me. Another, I think German, was walking behind me and suddenly he was alongside me shouting that I wasn't walking in a straight line. Perhaps I had moved while I was walking to avoid stepping into dogsh*t or a hole in the footpath... can't remember now. 

Only once.  On my third trip I arrived at BKK at like 2 AM so I had to take a taxi down to Pattaya as no buses at night.   The driver left the airport and about 30 minutes later pulled off to some dark, hardly lit gas station.  He went inside.  After a while he came out, put gas in the car and off we went.  Apparently they don't even have enough spare cash to keep enough gas in the car and they need to get a passenger to fill up.  It was just a bit  unnerving to be sitting there alone in an unlit gas station, no other customers around...

In Pattaya, 15 trips....  Often walking back at 3 am on second road or any of the little Sois.  Only issue is ladyboys on motor bikes will literally make a u turn, hop off their bike and grope you, hoping and assuming you are drunk and that they can find a wallet or a watch. Not drunk, just enjoying walking.  Catch a late night cheeseburger at one of those little buger stands all over town.