Where are all the workers?

ASEAN NOW News

1 minute ago, The Cipher said:

Oh no, not the loss of 0.03% of the adult population of Thailand! Such decimation. How will the work force ever recover???

Yes, death is such a trivial thing we can all make light of it!

• Confused 1

Bunch of BS in OP.  However you don't just go from almost nill to full open the same tourist country as before just because the PM says it's open again.  

Maybe higher wages will be needed.  It will require

Training sessions, uniforms, etc. 

Shop and restaurant owners keep hearing govt wants to attract less but more wealthy.  Who knows what they will spend money on or eat or walk.     

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

I don't know if the key is laziness is the main factor.  I think it's changing circumstances, changing family situations, kids not in school, etc. 

I feel that it is a factor with Thai teachers. There is no logical explanation why kids have been off so much in the last 2 years. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scott said:

Well, the Thai and foreign teacher's I am associated with have had to work extremely hard.  For a time, they had to do in-person teaching to 1/2 the classes and on-line classes for the other half.  Then, they had to do on-line teaching for all.  They had to produce video classes for some who had trouble accessing the on-line classes.

The teachers also had to deal with parents who were watching and some were very critical and unhelpful.  The admin got lots of calls complaining about everything.   This was especially true with younger kids. 

The stress levels for teachers was very high.  They had zero control over what the school would do about in-person teaching vs. on-line.  They had to assess students and give tests at the drop of a hat without knowing if the tests/assessments would be on-line or in-person.  

Good points there; I've been out of the Thai education systems since before Covid, so not really in the know. I'm sure foreign teachers have worked hard, not an easy job. It is stressful for all, parents included, having kids at home and working remotely themselves. 

We should support each other, but in my experience with Thai teachers, this is usually just a one-way street. I'm thinking of taking my youngest out the system and doing the GED next year. 

Let's hope it gets back to normal soon. 

• Like 1

Often, when one door closes, another one opens.  People lose a job or an industry dies out, people somehow find other ways to make a living or get by with life.

I remember years ago when low season in Pattaya really was low.  Town was quiet.  You could walk across second road easily with very little traffic.  It was quite different than during high season and was nice atually.  Most places were still open, prices were lower, etc.   Then as High season ramped up, you literally would see pickup trucks turning onto the sois packed with girls sitting in the pickup bed ready to start working.  It was known seasonal work.

After the latest protracted shut down, one can only guess what will happen and how fast.

Workers are abundant in Thailand, good managers are always hard to find.  Its going to be a slow roll with incoming tourists so it will give time for the workers to gain the experience and skill sets needed plus time for managers to refine/reawaken their skills.  A place is only as good as its manager. With the flip-flop of entry rules in Thailand its not going to be a mass invasion of tourists. 

24 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

oh yes.  I agree 100 %.  I don't need nor desire 5 star.  I was very content with some monthly rentals that had a great price. For two week stays, places sucy as Flipper Lodge or Flipper Hotel or similar hotels were great getaways and breaks from a cold North American winter.  Foot massages, friendly ladies, good food from all over the world with variety.  Fun night life.  Some beautiful natrual scenery and parks.  Get to Phuket or even Ko Samed and clean water for swimming in the ocean.  Some nights out with the guys playing pool.  Disco dancing was OK. Some local Thai dance and music shows such as that bar at the beginning of the entrance to walking street on the right that did Issaan stuff.  BTS travel around Bangkok a great way, or was a great way to get a birds eye view.  Remember being able to actually sit down!   And what got me there in the first place was the ease of travel.  No advance visa for entry needed.  Just fly to the airport on flights from the USA that were not very expensive, get stamped in for 29 days and off you go.  Plenty of English to get around.  Bus service was fine with me, both local and for trips to other provinces.  Pattaya good gosh, the baht bus system.  What a great way to get around.  Hop on, hop off.  less than a buck!  motobike taxi for longer rides such as ad hoc trip up to Big buddha hill.

A holiday paradis as far as I was and am concerned even with some of the nuttiness and beauracracy that crops up.  Those things are not rare anywhere so no big deal.  For a foreign country I felt quite comfortable with how Thailand welcomed me.  Been away for two years and luckily have been working in my field and doshing up and made it to full retirement eligibility and medicare.  Will be heading to Thailand soon, once things settle out a bit more

Nice post and couldn't be said any better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

oh yes.  I agree 100 %.  I don't need nor desire 5 star.  I was very content with some monthly rentals that had a great price. For two week stays, places sucy as Flipper Lodge or Flipper Hotel or similar hotels were great getaways and breaks from a cold North American winter.  Foot massages, friendly ladies, good food from all over the world with variety.  Fun night life.  Some beautiful natrual scenery and parks.  Get to Phuket or even Ko Samed and clean water for swimming in the ocean.  Some nights out with the guys playing pool.  Disco dancing was OK. Some local Thai dance and music shows such as that bar at the beginning of the entrance to walking street on the right that did Issaan stuff.  BTS travel around Bangkok a great way, or was a great way to get a birds eye view.  Remember being able to actually sit down!   And what got me there in the first place was the ease of travel.  No advance visa for entry needed.  Just fly to the airport on flights from the USA that were not very expensive, get stamped in for 29 days and off you go.  Plenty of English to get around.  Bus service was fine with me, both local and for trips to other provinces.  Pattaya good gosh, the baht bus system.  What a great way to get around.  Hop on, hop off.  less than a buck!  motobike taxi for longer rides such as ad hoc trip up to Big buddha hill.

A holiday paradis as far as I was and am concerned even with some of the nuttiness and beauracracy that crops up.  Those things are not rare anywhere so no big deal.  For a foreign country I felt quite comfortable with how Thailand welcomed me.  Been away for two years and luckily have been working in my field and doshing up and made it to full retirement eligibility and medicare.  Will be heading to Thailand soon, once things settle out a bit more

Yes, Thailand was indeed wonderful for whoever wanted it to be. It still can be, but times have really changed. Hope you can find your paradise again!

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

Covid has decimated the work force -' recorded 17,751 dead.' (not all of them old & only this Gov's word that this is the true figure!)

Think the deaths are far greater than that of the 'workforce' if the economist is right - they recon 40,000 deaths extra from November last year. This figure does not include the massive deaths from covid from September this year, which should push the number way over 50,000 when also adding in October.

If those are missing covid deaths, then Thailand jumps into the top 20 deaths from covid from 40th, 

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand has been the hub of overmanning for decades; a walk round any Thaiwatsadu branch will reveal mobs of workers following customers about, or if the customer is a farang, hiding in the shadows ready to chant 'No have' if discovered.

So true.

Walked out of Mega home yesterday, totally annoying staff,

Went to Global home up the road, much better behaved staff.

TIT.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have seen some of them working in Isarn and it would kill me. 

No ,  you  get used to it  like any  job,  maybe the first week  or  so  then it  becomes  normal, done  it  for almost 10  years on the land.