Pattaya officials aim to significantly reduce numbers of homeless in the city before ‘re-opening’ to wider tourism

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya – Pattaya City officials and the director of the Chonburi Center for the Destitute conducted what they called a ‘round up’ of homeless people and beggars in the Pattaya area this week as officials are preparing for the proposed “re-opening” to foreign vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries starting from next month.

Additionally, many events are scheduled for every weekend in November and December that will attract many domestic tourists, especially from Bangkok.

TPN media notes that the proposed reopening is not yet finalized and completely official, but is likely to be in the next week or two.

Pattaya City Deputy Mayor Mr. Banlue Kunlavanich and the director of the Chonburi Center for the Destitute Ms. Raewadee Janatpremjit inspected and interviewed homeless people and beggars in the Pattaya area several days this past week, especially those in typical tourist-heavy areas like Pattaya and Jomtien Beach.

Mr. Banlue told The Pattaya News, “We offered free tests for Covid-19 to the homeless and some have agreed to take them. If they want to go to their hometown in other provinces we will help them get a ticket or if they don’t have a home to go back to they can stay at the Chonburi Center of the Destitute.”

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/16/pattaya-officials-aim-to-significantly-reduce-numbers-of-homeless-in-the-city-before-re-opening-to-wider-tourism/

PattayaNews.jpg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya City officials and the director of the Chonburi Center for the Destitute conducted what they called a ‘round up’ of homeless people and beggars in the Pattaya area this week as officials are preparing for the proposed “re-opening” to foreign vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries starting from next month.

Yeah that really wouldn't look good would it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

Can the "officials" please also do a ‘round up’ of the homeless dogs too...not just in Pattaya but nationwide  before the tourists return...thanks.

They can start on Pratamnak hill where some old alcoholic witch living in a shanty has a pack of about 30 dogs running wild.  She sits on the street begging with her dogs barking and snapping at the heels of any passers-by.  

I'd go and suggest an alternative business plan to her, but it's too much fun watching the odd farang shake a stick or throw a kick at the 3 dogs yapping at him, and then the other 27 come bounding out of the jungle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

How do they expect to solve this worldwide issue in a semi 3rd world country, when it is still a huge problem in even the most affluent western countries?   My opinion is that many of these people want to live on the street and not be controlled in a shelter environment.  Good luck, but I bet there will always be some homeless element in Pattaya.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

How do they expect to solve this worldwide issue in a semi 3rd world country, when it is still a huge problem in even the most affluent western countries?   My opinion is that many of these people want to live on the street and not be controlled in a shelter environment.  Good luck, but I bet there will always be some homeless element in Pattaya.

Wrong. It is barely a huge problem in other countries, at this point. There are only 5 or 6 countries which still have significant numbers of daily cases, and they are all big countries with huge populations. This thing is coming under control, and the quality vaccines seem to be helping alot. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

Those of us who live in a world of observable reality are in full agreement with you.  Unfortunately every politician in the world now resides in a reality where rants tweeted by radical ideologues on Twitter determines their social policy.

I'm waiting for the first climate related lockdown which will soon follow the current dystopian agenda.  Some lunatic lefty state governor (because it's bound to happen in the US, although the Aussies may beat them to it) will declare the daily CO2 emissions are at an all time high and all travel and social activity is banned for a week or a month.  And that becomes the new normal - or should that be the new-new normal?

The only existential threat the human race has ever experienced is the threat of tyrannical overlords and their hunger for power.

I agree with all you said, except the lefty part. It is not just the dems. It is all of them. All politicians seem to be nearly insane, and likely pathological. Especially here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree with all you said, except the lefty part. It is not just the dems. It is all of them. All politicians seem to be nearly insane, and likely pathological. Especially here. 

Yeah sorry - I used the term "lefty" only because climate is their thing.  You're correct in that the liquorice allsorts of politicians of all persuasions are as loopy as their counterparts.

I think the terms left and right are/have lost their meaning.  Perhaps a better frame of reference is collectivist and individualist.  I don't view left and right as a location on a straight line anymore, nor on an x/y graph if you want to interpret the amount of authoritarianism either ideology exudes. 

I now consider political views on the circumference of a circle or a compass.  The centreists who are prepared to have dialogue and reach consensus are between NW (the left) and NE (the right).  The ideologues with a lesser tendency towards tyranny on the left are at NW to SW and on the right are at NE to SE. The loopies of both persuasions are either side of S and are so close together in their rabid hunger for power by different methods they are the same animal - one has spots and the other has stripes. Neither have a plan other than to gain or hold on to their power while getting rich at the same time.

• Thanks 1

Homeless people near me in Jomtien  have been twice evicted from shacks to make way for " five star '  condo projects . 

Both condo projects failed but the (still) homeless people  seem to be doing fine .

Is there some kind of Asian  karma working here ?

• Like 1

I'm surprised at some of the responses.

This temporary moving on has been happening for decades or longer across the world. First world countries and small backwater towns do it regularly when the Olympics or a village fair etc come to town.

A bus ticket to (somewhere), couple of nights in a arranged motel, a package with clothes, some food vouchers and maybe shaving gear.....it's been happening world wide for ages. I saw it first hand in Aus.

Nothing new here.