Even Now, as an Oldster, Do you still believe that you will die, not a natural death, BUT, as the result of Nuclear Warfare, or maybe one single Electromagnetic Pulse bomb (EMP) which will return us to the stone age?

GammaGlobulin

Like most of you, I hid under my desk at school, many times, for practice, in my early years.

At such an early age, I never knew why I was asked to hide under my desk.  

I only knew that hiding under my desk seemed bizarre, and unsettling.

These days, the older I become, the more I think that the chances are less likely that I will die of natural causes.  

And, I am now somewhat convinced that I will die of some sort of thermonuclear-warfare syndrome when most of our world is reduced to flaming cities which cause our atmosphere to block out the sun, and reduce our world to an almost endless winter, for decades to come.

I am not sure how you feel about this.

And some poster here posed the question on a topic, wondering if most guys here had thought about living long enough to witness the "future".

Everybody knows about the Doomsday Clock.

The Doomsday Clock is only an estimation, made by rather smart scientists, concerning RISK, existential risk to Mankind.

Years ago, as children, many of us were convinced we would be reduced to cinders as a result of a nuclear exchange between the USSR and the USA.

Now that the USSR no longer exists, this likelihood is impossible.

Still, as Chomsky says, we remain in a state of extreme risk.  And, who is willing to say that Chimpsky is not entirely correct?

Therefore, what are the odds that, even though we were not turned to cinders during our childhood, yet, given the number of nuclear weapons on high alert around the world, we may yet be vaporised before we die from old age, of natural causes?

How old are you?

How many more years do you have to live?

The longer you have to live, then the higher the odds are that you may experience nuclear war, statistically speaking.

As for me, I just hope that I die early enough so that I will not need to witness a nuclear exchange of megatons on MIRVS.

Most young guys  here don't even know what a MIRV might be.

Google it, if you like.

Or, instead, watch this film, which is one of Kubrick's best.  Although, I did like Barry Lyndon, too, simply because Kubrick arranged such great music to accompany this film.

Of course, even in Dr. Strangelove, the music chosen was magnificent.  Kubrick was a genius.

Some day, if Dr. Strangelove proves prescient, then....Nobody will Remember Kubrick. (This is an EXAMPLE of Irony.  Somebody asked for an example of irony, a while ago.  So, this is just one example.)

Well, I was born in the 50s.  One of my Boy Scout projects was getting information on civild defense from my state capital officials in Providence Rhode Island. Got zero cooperation.  But back in the 60s, you could wander around the state house. There was no security, no metal detector guarded entrances, etc.  I found some back stairs that went down to the basement levels.  There I found gieger counters, none working of course.  50 gallon drums of water, dry food stockpiles and other stuff.

In later  years I was a Captain in the Air Force.  I did work on Ballistic Missile Defense.  I still think the chance of an accidental nuclear launch is real, if small.  I also do think the possibility of a nut such as the North Korean dude is real if he gets ill, or decides to go out in a fit of rage.  But he does not have a large launch capability and it is unlikely his missiles will reach the intended target, but a detonation is possible somewhere.

I do believe more conventional wars are going to happen, be it China subsuming Taiwan, some African nations moving in on a neighboring country, something in the Middle East or whatever.    But I think the chances are  greater that I wil run into some domestic violence, be it robbery, break in, random gun shooting, disgruntled worker incident, etc. 

9 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Do they still issue Gamma Globulin shots?  I remember hearing that all the years I was growing up

Have you ever heard of a condition called: gammopathy

Also, there is another condition in which one might have hypergammaglobulinemia

When I was around 11 years old I think. My family was moving from Kansas to California. I got to witness an atomic explosion. It must have been one of the last above ground test. They had the countdown on the radio. Saw the flash, and the mushroom cloud. It was a ways off. The cloud was about the size of the last digit of your finger at arms length.

I do not think it will happen in my lifetime ,but the future does not look very bright i fear ,some crazy dictator or leader who thinks that if they die in a good cause they will get seven virgins or a luny like kim jong ,if not war ,the poorer nations will flood to the richer ones ,making them sh_t as well this is already happening  , or maybe a bad pandemic . who knows ,i am not a believer in all this man made global warming ,but i do think also natural climate change will badly effect the world ,it did in times gone past ,but then there were not as many people on the planet and their lives were far far simpler than ours ,for the modern generation it will be catastrophic.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This GG guy must be so bored with too much time on his hands (computer). His posts as you say are either depressing or unintelligible.

How can a post be BOTH unintelligible AND depressing?

If a post were unintelligible, then how would anyone know if it might not be enlightening, rather than depressing?

In fact, no one could know anything about an unintelligible post, if it were unintelligible.

For example:  If SETI were to receive an unintelligible message from a distant galaxy, and if SETI decided that this message was unintelligible, then would they be able to classify it as depressing, exciting, enlightening, risque, or anything?

If you have time, please help me to identify which of my posts here are impossible to understand.

Was it my post which began thusly?:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;

Long time the manxome foe he sought—

So rested he by the Tumtum tree

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”

He chortled in his joy.

Was that the one?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If a post were unintelligible, then how would anyone know if it might not be enlightening, rather than depressing?

In fact, no one could know anything about an unintelligible post, if it were unintelligible.

For example:  If SETI were to receive an unintelligible message from a distant galaxy, and if SETI decided that this message was unintelligible, then would they be able to classify it as depressing, exciting, enlightening, risque, or anything?

If you have time, please help me to identify which of my posts here are impossible to understand.

And burbled as it came!

He went galumphing back.

He chortled in his joy.

Was that the one?

Yes.....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Like most of you, I hid under my desk at school, many times, for practice, in my early years.

Most of who?

"Do you still believe"

Are you approaching 100 years old?  Never even heard of hiding under my desk and I've never believed I'd die in a nuclear war.  I think you'll find that its not something most of us even think about.  You're completely out of kilter with rational thinking.

I've only read two of your posts, one about older Thai women having better bodies and being preferable to younger ones - I thought you were taking something when I read that post but now you're worrying about nuclear war, I'm convinced of it.

You're either on something or you really need to find something to keep you busy. Maybe both.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

I grew up in Yugoslavia and we never hid under the desk for practice. We had good relationship with both USA and USSR. This practice must have been some of the numerous American anti commie propagandas.

32 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Most of who?

"Do you still believe"

Are you approaching 100 years old?  Never even heard of hiding under my desk and I've never believed I'd die in a nuclear war.  I think you'll find that its not something most of us even think about.  You're completely out of kilter with rational thinking.

I've only read two of your posts, one about older Thai women having better bodies and being preferable to younger ones - I thought you were taking something when I read that post but now you're worrying about nuclear war, I'm convinced of it.

You're either on something or you really need to find something to keep you busy. Maybe both.

You are either From China, or, you are on something.  Because, you need to get more informed.

In fact, the threat of nuclear weapons is significant.

Who does not realize this?

Most governments would not wish you to know much about the threat of nuclear war. If consumers became too worried about total antihalation, then why would they buy consumer goods when they could buy fallout bunkers.

https://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2021/07/increased-potential/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And burbled as it came!

He went galumphing back.

He chortled in his joy.

Was that the one?

My favourite poem when I was in Grammar School, and I could recite it. That was until 'Lucy in the Sky' and 'I am the Walrus' came out.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess you never grew up in America. It happened there, but not where I lived and nuclear war was not something I ever thought about as a child.

This guy is from China, I think.

In China, they don't teach History.

Instead, they teach Xi Jinping Thought, just as they once taught Mao Zedong Thought.

They never learn anything from history in the land of authoritarian control of EVERYTHING, including books, internet, education, and much more.

China is 1984 on steroids, under Xi, the Great Panda, panderer.

21 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I grew up in Yugoslavia and we never hid under the desk for practice. We had good relationship with both USA and USSR. This practice must have been some of the numerous American anti commie propagandas.

atyomicbombdrill.jpg.e8e72eb9d7d3bb896bf14a81c63252e2.jpg

Surprising that History is apparently not taught around the world, these days.

Instead, they teach Harry Potter.

This will bite you in the oss when you least expect it.

Those who do not learn from history....etc, etc, etc.

Schools, these days, are mostly manure.

• Like 1

Wow.

The very strange thing is that the RISK of nuclear war, and the IMPLICATION of nuclear war, apparently, is not taught in decent schools these days, judging by the above comments.

This is incredible.

This topic, the RISK of nuclear war is one of the most important topics that needs to be taught in all schools.

OK.

Nevermind.

Just hide your heads in the sand, and let your hind ends get scorched.

Does anyone recall the appalling effects of the Hiroshima bombing?

History WILL repeat itself.

Why?

Just because, we never learn from history.

Bombs Away!

We will see the Sun on Earth, no doubt.

And then, that will be the end of Earth, as we now know it.

Ever since the 1980's in my early 20's I've been reading the James Axler Deathlands post apocalypse series of books - about 127 now. I'm all ready for it, just need the wife to get a couple of Uzis, a rad counter and access to a matt-trans machine and I'm all set to go.

th?id=OIP.1iiGMr0OtTVvS3sF1d3ifAHaKp&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Edited by RichardColeman

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

School was manure 60 years ago.

Nothing changes except the faces.

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Believe you me history as well as geography is taught in my country. Last time I ordered a package from Amazo it ended up in Taiwan.