Thai Airways hopes to return to operational profit in two years

webfact

I'm not sure Thai Airways was ever profitable---at least using GAAP---so returning to what never was is a tall order, especially in a post-Covid world.

There's a fine line between optimism and delusion, perhaps, but this one is easy to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, if you hardly fly anywhere then your entire fleet is grounded and the result can be a cut of  operational costs by more than 44.8 billion Baht. 

Does this also include the recovering of more than USD 10 billion (not million)? Just asking the mathematicians at the head office of the "Smooth as Silk" club; better known as 7/11 without a cashier on the way out! 

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Will never happen unless they bring in Western Management with years of Airline operating experience and that's not going to happen as way too sensible for Thai minds to fathom !

Not due to sense but nationalistic pride. Thais know best and it would be a loss of face to have any foreigners involved in running their flag carrier airline.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Struggling national flag carrier Thai Airways International expects to make a profit in 2024 if the government’s policy of reopening Thailand to foreign arrivals proceeds smoothly, said Piyasvasti Amranand, chairman of the Rehabilitation Plan Administrators, on Monday.

Another dream.

That means a substantial price hike. They will simply price themselves out of the market.

Typical Asian mentality, they wouldn't dream of lowering the prices and service to make themselves competitive, then once they have a steady increase in bookings slowly increase the prices at best  it's a 5 year plan, that's why they will never do it!

21 hours ago, webfact said:

the airline is in need of a fresh injection of cash and is about to begin negotiations with financial institutions for 25 billion baht in loans, to compensate redundant employees and to refund customers bought air tickets in advance, after a promise by the government to inject another 50 billion baht may not be forthcoming

Last one out turn the light off please   !!     The government was smart in not giving them more cash,   and what finance group would even consider lending these thief's 25 billion  ??     they'd be crazy   !

Thai airways will be gone in a few months when no cash becomes available .....   

I'm flying THAI this morning from London to Bangkok. It will be interesting to see how it is after all this time. When I returned in April this year there was no In-Flight-Entertainment nor Alcohol being served. I used a "free" Gold upgrade to business class for today's trip and they hit me with £298 in extra charges (normally just £90 for the extra UK Gov tax). They said it was for "fuel surcharge" and "award" admin fee so they are definitely going about money grabbing to try and turn a profit. I'll certainly enjoy trying to reduce any profit by consuming as much of their Champagne as possible but knowing them, highly expect to hear "No Have Sir".