Nightmare scenarios continue in wake of Thailand Pass launch

snoop1130

16 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

The Thai Elite Visa program has always been considered as an obvious scam, paying XXX hundreds of thousands of bahts just to get a gold colored (useless) flashy card. I'm sorry for those who got suckered in but that's all the Thai Elite Visa

Not all expat are English teachers or retirees. 1 million baht is small change to some. 

I was an English teacher and chose to pay 5,000 baht for citizenship, indtead of an elite waste of money. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shuffler said:

I found the two main issues when applying for the Thai Pass.

One, convert your doc, s to jpeg. Do not send pdf. 

Two, Do not use Hotmail. Use g mail. 

Once I did that. Got the pass in two hours. 

Hope this helps.. 

on test run my google browser mode had issue, so tried internet explorer mode - no such issue - but next day when i had all my info, internet explorer mode raised some other issue. i then tried microsoft edge successfully. now i'm concerned that because the SHA Plus logo didn't appear on my print out of sunshine hip hotel booking confirmation i won't be granted TP QR Code. will find out "within 7 days".  

16 hours ago, hioctane said:

If you want to do anything the first day, expect some growing pains while the bugs get wrinkled out. It is the nature of all launches. 

3 hours ago, mikecha said:

Embassy no help eiither  they say it is a seperate  office and embassies have no say in this 

so if u get a visa you must apply seperatley for Thai pass 

more delays 

In Thailand, everyday is launch day and growing pains are permanent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

There you have it.

The Thai Elite Visa program has always been considered as an obvious scam, paying XXX hundreds of thousands of bahts just to get a gold colored (useless) flashy card. I'm sorry for those who got suckered in but that's all the Thai Elite Visa scheme was about and that's all it'll ever be.

Think of it for a second, if the roles were switched and the tables were turned around, do you really think the Thais (stingy as they are) would fall for a, say "British Elite Visa" scheme? or a "French Elite Visa" program? or a "Belgian Elite Visa" path?

There goes the saying: "In Rome, do as the Romans", In Thailand, do as the Thais. The only way to survive in this Kingdom is to be as stingy as they can be.

The Thais would never fall for that, why would YOU?

I beg to differ. For anyone under 50yo, the so-called Elite Visa offers a way to stay long term in Thailand. Yes, it is expensive, it is no more than a glorified Tourist Visa with no extra usable benefits and you get basically no assistance from the Elite company, it still has it's place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shuffler said:

Hope this helps.. 

You got the Thailand Pass two hours after submitting your application? Two hours later?

???? Sure?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

in Thailand nothing can be done online except shopping. For all the rest you need lots of copies and papers to do anything, extension visa, driverslicense, 90days reports and other immigration issues, workpermits, not only for foreigners but for Thais too... Thailamd still far away from the digital era

Thailand technology is as good as anywhere. Anyone paying tax here will tell you that. They know to the last satang what you owe them. The reason the 90day reporting app does not work is because they don't want it to work. The reason for all the paper work rather than online visa renewals is because they can make up errors which cost us money. They want to make the visa application so arduous that we end up paying them under table money to make it happen. It's all about corruption. These immigration centres rake in millions by taking bribes to speed up the process. If it was all online none of these crooks would have jobs. Welcome to Thailand folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shuffler said:

Hope this helps.. 

You got the Thailand Pass two hours after submitting your application? Two hours later?

???? Sure?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoudHailer said:

All documents required for Thailand Pass are either in my passport, including a visa, printed and in a file ready to present to authorities upon checking in at the departure and arrival airports. This online digital Thailand Pass nightmare, forced upon Thais and farang expats long resident in Thailand ANXIOUS TO RETURN HOME TO THAILAND from abroad, is stressful in the extreme. It’s taking a toll on my mental health. Seriously. 

Airfares, hotel, Covid tests at departure and arrival are all paid for in full. It is five days since receiving acknowledgement of receipt of the Registration Application. The clock is ticking for the aircraft departure. Is worse to come? I can’t imagine what more horrors await when I actually have to install the Thailand Pass application on my phone. It’s yet another tool of oppression upon Thais and the prosperous farang residents the Thai government claims it wants to attract. 

Yet somehow >28,000 people went through these hoops and entered via Phuket sandbox.

Paperwork and testing and phone apps are part of the New Normal, either adapt or be left behind.

Also many who were "anxious to return home"  already did through the ASQ 14 day quarantine which started many months ago.  

If paperwork and online forms stress you. hire someone to do it for you.  

Good luck

Peace

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

The local embassies approve visas, but the Thailand Pass is approved centrally (Bangkok, Min of Foreign Affairs maybe).

There are issues with the software. Plus, has the process been stress tested? Is Bangkok properly staffed and trained to deal with the volume of applications?

So, a couple of worries.

What is problematic is that the applicant will have had to pay out a lot of money in advance. You need to have bought a return flight, a quarantine hotel, insurance and possibly a PCR in your home country before you get approval.

And what if you don't? What if your application is rejected? You cannot recover the $1,000 you've put in.

So big risk here. You are counting on Thai authorities in a new system that may not have been fully tested.

Conclusion. Unless there is urgency, probably best to allow three to six months for the system to stabilise.

• Like 2