Is this the end of Thailand as a Retirement Destination

Robin

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

"There are a lot of expats that really cannot afford to be here."

Name them. You missed "In my opinion" at the start of that sentence. Too many smug types on here, with more money than sense making that assumption. Maybe you should have said "Too many tourists with no insurance who can't afford to have accidents here".

That quote had me wondering also.  Where can they afford to live if not Thailand?  There are many expats that struggle financially here but would be miserable back home.  Not ideal  but I would choose being skint here over back home every time. 

I knew a person that did about 6 months  in England's subsidized living facilities for the poor and 6 months here at a 12k a month resort.  I remember him doing laps in a pool the size of a large jacuzzi and being happy as a clam.   Not the smartest bloke but he seemed oddly happy while here at least.  I can't judge him because I don't have all the details and not sure if I would care if I did.

• Like 2

My experience with Thai hospitals has been extremely great overall; mind you I actually dealt with only one hospital; the Bangkok Hospital of Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road when you head North outta town so I have no idea how it's like everywhere else, nationwide.

With that being said, I have used them 7 or 8 times, I have never had to pay upfront for anything nor being asked how would I be paying them each and every time (I always pay CASH, this is Thailand CASH IS KING, insurances are for suckers). Clear signs of financial stability.

With that being said as well, I think that they've always been very cool with me might have to do with the fact that;

- They have had my details registered in their systems since my very first visit in 2010.

- The first visit I produced a blue house registration book for our house (where we used a loophole as advised by Pattaya City Hall officials on how to add a foreigner name on a blue book without the need to make a yellow book, but I digress). Anyhow my point being; even though all I do is visas on arrivals back to back and abuse the <deleted> outta the extensions and visa runs back and forth to Laos, MY name is registered as a resident on a Thai blue "tabian baan" so the hospital KNOWS where to find me, should the need arise.

- I have never changed my official address since I've set a foot in Thailand for the very first time in 2010. Clear signs of stability.

TL;DR: They are not concerned that I might be a candidate to do a runner and both my Thai kids were born in that hospital as well.

I think what I'm trying to say here is, in Thailand just like on a lot of different places in the World; Trust is to be earned, not given.

Mind you my highest bill was 135,000 baht paid CASH everything else has always been minor stuff less than 15,000 baht, but again I'm sure they'd know where to find me IF they needed to locate me.

Pay your bills with a smile, on time, every single time and don't be a dreg. If you want to be respected, EARN RESPECT.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Robin said:

Will the current entry requirements for Thailand spell the end of the country as a retirement destination.?

Not for single males that have the wherewithal.....................perhaps for couples but not because of the visa requirements, more because the country has levelled up more price-wise with other destinations.............................I'm not sure that it was ever a worldwide top choice for couples though................

13 minutes ago, atpeace said:

That quote had me wondering also.  Where can they afford to live if not Thailand?  There are many expats that struggle financially here but would be miserable back home.  Not ideal  but I would choose being skint here over back home every time. 

I knew a person that did about 6 months  in England's subsidized living facilities for the poor and 6 months here at a 12k a month resort.  I remember him doing laps in a pool the size of a large jacuzzi and being happy as a clam.   Not the smartest bloke but he seemed oddly happy while here at least.  I can't judge him because I don't have all the details and not sure if I would care if I did.

A few I know have gone to Cambodia.  Quite a few actually.  Not for me though.

• Like 1

A lot of very misleading "information" here regarding the covid impact in Thailand and what can only be described as unfounded opinion to put it politely.

Here are the mortality rates per 100,000 population for the US, UK and Thailand as reported yesterday (10/Nov/2021) by Johns Hokpins, one of the most reliable sources of international stats over the last 18 months.

US 230

UK 213

Thailand 28

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

If you take the Hopkins stats for  new cases and adjust for population, Thailand is again below the US and UK.

So yes I'm sure Thailand could improve its management of covid, but which nation couldn't!

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

A few I know have gone to Cambodia.  Quite a few actually.  Not for me though.

Thailand is at my heat threshold and Cambodia isn't an option. Also a little too dangerous for the adventurous type.  Found myself in some uncomfortable situations when off the beaten path.  I'm sure this will improve with time but there was more an aggressive vibe 8 years ago.

• Like 1

What I find amusing about this kind of perspective is that it comes from the psychology of a certain type of western baby boomer who looks around the world as if its their own little playground.

Not that I have anything agains western baby boomers in general - I am one myself. But having worked and lived in over 25 countries at last count, I'm a bit too experienced to suffer from the naive expectations expressed by some "expats".

The sad truth is that most (not all) western retirees come here because it's one of the few places they can afford. They end up living close to the bone, and when the economics change they are are squeezed out.

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Thailand will always be a retirement destination.

I think once the world is vaccinated and the cases of covid amongst the locals dissipates, things will almost go back to normal.

I have a feeling they may keep some sort of insurance requirement as it really saves their butt so they don't have to worry about medical free loaders.

There are a lot of expats that really cannot afford to be here.  So I think they want to prevent these types of people from moving here.  That is why they have the 800,000 requirement.

The recently announced they are looking into a 10-year visa for expats LINK..

This shows they are still trying to make Thailand attractive to expats.

I agree with most of your thoughts. 

I'm also an expat, retired here for 5+ years.. 

I think the biggest problem with retirees, is that many come here with minimal funds, if the exchange rates drop, they get sick or have accident while not sufficiently ensured.. They cause major problems for themselves and the authorities.. 

Too many guys complain about things here and make excuses for themselves. 

We all get 40+ years to save for retirement... It's not the fault of Thai govt if you haven't prepared well, for retirement.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't agree that current health insurance requirements are due to 'absconders'.

Try getting into a hospital with out first paying or having your credit card swiped...............................

Yes, that is exactly why it's like that.. Because of expats in the past, who have been unable to pay for their hospital care. 

Many don't even have funds to go back home, if they get sick.. 

14 minutes ago, blackprince said:

What I find amusing about this kind of perspective is that it comes from the psychology of a certain type of western baby boomer who looks around the world as if its their own little playground.

Not that I have anything agains western baby boomers in general - I am one myself. But having worked and lived in over 25 countries at last count, I'm a bit too experienced to suffer from the naive expectations expressed by some "expats".

The sad truth is that most (not all) western retirees come here because it's one of the few places they can afford. They end up living close to the bone, and when the economics change they are are squeezed out.

You're gonna get some flak here, especially your disclaimer in the middle paragraph.......

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You've not noticed how 'close to the bone' pensioners live in their home countries?

How they have to choose between being warm and eating?

At least in Thailand they aren't cold.

Quite so BritMan. Thailand is more affordable for them as I said. But in their home countries they are citizens not foreigners dependent upon visas and associated regulations.

Let's look at it another way, would you really want a horde of impoverished foreign retirees in England? I suspect not.

Edited by blackprince

20 hours ago, robblok said:

Its hard but it happens otherwise you would not have the sob stories in Thaivisa. If you follow the heath section you can see it there too. They had a huge loss (hospitals) from foreigners not paying.

Now you could say Thai government would have to pay as they make money. But that is unfair to other Thai taxpayers as they see no benefits but pay for it. An option would be an extra tax on business in the tourist industry (raising prices) and then funding an account for those that wont pay. Because they are the ones benefitting.

Anyway you been on this forum for a while strange that you have not read the same stories.

Sure would help the comprehension of reality if creditable statistical studies had been done and made public as rot the breakdown of the foreigner unpaid medical bills. Will I am wishing the study should breakdown the various subgroups ... foreign workers, short time tourist motorbike accidents, old foggies skipping out on medical bills. Of course, it is all solvable but  ... TIT.

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

The thing with expecting Thais who've had a western education to be more sympathetic to us isn't going to work as most of them will have been bullied unmercifully the whole time they were at the western school. So I'd expect them to think clearer than most Thais, but also hate westerners after all the bullying they received...

Rubbish our son was educated at a School in England from 5 to 12,had loads of British friends and was never bullied. .he certainly does not hate westerners.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, robblok said:

It certainly will become more expensive, but only for those who had no insurance in the first place.

For those of us that factored it in their retirement it wont matter much. I seriously don't understand why people would want to live here without insurance (unless high savings but then they would not complain about the insurance as they have money or could deposit it maybe)

I have insurance but it may not be good enough for the gov requirements no outpatient cover. So if I change I will have some pre existing conditions now that I didn't have with the initial policy. So the quality of cover may be less and I pay more plus the waiting time on a new policy, even if it's with the same company. Every day it seems life is becoming a little harder to live here, a plan B is required.

Look up Dominican Republic, Mexico or Portugal ....... I can name 50+ people who moved over Thailand's "dirty farang programme" and - for sure - will never return. They all used +/- one million Baht a month for rents, out-of-house activities etc. 

20 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Would you like your home country being open for each foreigner who reaches the minimal income there? If not, why should Thailand do so?

Well, I think your homecountry will do that for long time, with that woman Mrs.Merkel, or I'm wrong?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Look up Dominican Republic, Mexico or Portugal ....... I can name 50+ people who moved over Thailand's "dirty farang programme" and - for sure - will never return. They all used +/- one million Baht a month for rents, out-of-house activities etc. 

Do love the Dominican, just not sure if I wanna retire there.................difficult to put my finger on it as to why, I have genuinely been considering the place..................perhaps my heart is just in Thailand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I know a few that aren't doing well financially.  Exchange rates, poor investments, medical bills...forced quite a few I know back to their home country.  Where they get financial and medical help.

Tens of thousands of expats have left already. Tens of thousands more are making plans to leave. 

Those who remain are here despite the authorities, not because they are given incentives. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Tens of thousands of expats have left already. Tens of thousands more are making plans to leave. 

and perhaps hundreds of thousands of Chinese are making plans to come and retire/semi retire here, it's pretty much a satellite state for them in some respects.....................................

An interesting video on Youtube yesterday from Integrity Legal (a Bangkok legal firm) saying that the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles was quoting retirement visa requirements of 1,200,000 baht in the bank or 100,000 baht a month income. I wonder if this is an indication of a general increase in retirement limits in the future. I guess the 800k/65k has been around for a long time. I would bet a big increase is due soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Those who remain are here despite the authorities, not because they are given incentives. 

I'm not sure why you think the Thai government should go out of its way to offer incentives. The extension of stay requirements are already less onerous than many other retirement destinations. The fact that so many people do chose to retire here shows that incentives are surely not necessary.

As for your previous comments about Thailand mismanaging covid, just to put that into perspective, here are the comparative mortality rates per 100,000 population for the US, UK and Thailand

US 230

UK 213

Thailand 28

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality