‘Joe Ferrari’, six other ex-cops to be prosecuted for murder in fatal torture case

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The attorney-general has given the greenlight to the prosecution of former Police Colonel Thitisan Uttanaphon, aka “Joe Ferrari”, and six other former police officers on multiple charges, including premediated murder by means of torture, malfeasance in office, illegal detention and coercion.

Lets hope it sticks when it reaches the courtroom.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom Parkinson said:

If the junior cop who leaked the video still alive? 

Possibly, last seen taking a boat trip on the Mekong River ... Did it one time myself to Luang Prabang .. one person on the boat called out .."what's that over there ..OMG it is a body !!"

• Haha 1

I think they're going to burn Joe Ferrari to the ground in a show trial.  It'll make the public feel that the law is applied fairly to everyone.

The real reason Joe will "go down" is because he's a commoner and was never one of the real insiders running LoS.  He was just lucky enough to have been promoted into the hierarchy, but he lost all his powerful allies when the video exposing corruption inside the police force was released.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

I think they're going to burn Joe Ferrari to the ground in a show trial.  It'll make the public feel that the law is applied fairly to everyone.

I agree. This case has garnered too much attention to result in anything other than a conviction and very harsh sentence. The 'Red Bull Days' are over. That case, allowing him to escape, created such an uproar that such leniency will never be repeated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enzian said:

Another way this is interesting is that not all of the other six may be vicious criminal minds like Joe himself. One or two could just be lower level hangers on in the force, who happened to be there that night (I assume it was at night). It's deserving of a Dostoevsky novel: what does a stupid young man do when he finds out he is suddenly taking part in a profoundly evil crime by people he sees every day, but it is not something he would ever initiate himself? Or were there others there who saw it starting and left the building? Was there anyone there who said this is wrong? What would you or I do in the young idiot's shoes?

I cannot agree with that at all. The were all policeman. A policeman has a sworn duty to protect someone's life. Any one of them could and should have stepped in and prevented this murder, or at least made a brave attempt to do so.

If one is guilty, then they are all guilty. That, by the way is how a British court would see it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I cannot agree with that at all. The were all policeman. A policeman has a sworn duty to protect someone's life. Any one of them could and should have stepped in and prevented this murder, or at least made a brave attempt to do so.

If one is guilty, then they are all guilty. That, by the way is how a British court would see it.

I agree with you about what should have happened and how none of them can escape responsibility at this point, but humans are complex and tragic. (And someone did blow the whistle; who was that person and how deeply were they involved?) Speaking of British, consider Conrad's Lord Jim, a decent fellow who in a moment of confusion did an evil thing by deserting his ship when there were passengers on board, and eventually paid for it, but not by a court. Anyway, I hope details about the other six eventually come out, I know some writers who would love it.

• Like 2

More evidence needed to indict Joe Ferrari, six officers, OAG says

The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) announced on Friday that it has not yet issued an order to prosecute Pol Colonel Thitisan Uthanapol and six officers at the police station he headed in Muang Nakhon Sawan.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40008771

It's like a sad version of Lord of the Flies, where the protagonists are running a country with sub-80 IQs.  Imagine being bold enough to do what this guy did, and yet be so stupid to not even know his own office had cameras in it.  If it weren't so tragic, it would be hilarious.

And no question this guy will walk...or fall down a flight a stairs 10 times...or 'escape'.

I am pretty sure that this case will end just like the case of the police officer that killed two British backpackers in Kanchanaburi some years back. He was convicted and sentenced to life in what was really a phony trial, and then everything went very quiet. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out and enjoying his life right now.

After all, RTP look after their own. They might be bad boys, but they pay their dues. Literally.

Well, there's always the Patriot's Defense: "You should have heard what the guy was saying, things that were critical of the powers-that-be.  His denunciations greatly angered me, I love my country so much I couldn't control myself..." etc.

Some years back a U.S. politician was caught getting a bj in his car parked outside of The Capitol.  Something about "love of country" was his excuse, no public indecency charges, no "what about the children!" hysteria. 

As we all know, dead men tell no tales.

Edited by bendejo

On 11/13/2021 at 1:20 AM, kwak250 said:

Think he needs a wheelbarrow to carry his huge balls around.

He deserves a medal.

He probably needs protection more than anything else.

I seem to remember a few years back a brave guy working in a prison reported wrongdoing he'd seen and he didn't last long.