Phuket alcohol hours revised

webfact

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

Bit harsh!

It is hard enough  for people living here to know the laws - they change every week!

The whole 11am to 2pm/5pm to Midnight selling times has been around for a while.

Wonder why 11pm and not midnight ?

The UK had these hours for many years.  Then they allowed bars to stay open in the afternoons.  And........ nothing, the sky didn't fall in, civilisation didn't collapse, there weren't drunks littering the streets.  A non-event really.

• Like 2

"Under the new order, restaurants and other “eateries” ‒ that is, any venue with a permit to serve food ‒ may serve alcohol from 11am to 2pm and from 5pm to 11pm only, starting Nov 16."...And the exceptions are : 1) When the water buffalo are not in their pens; 2) When the venue to permit food serves food that Anutin does not like; 3) When the food served Chan Ocha does not like; 4) When the moon is not properly aligned with the planets as dictated by Anutin and/or Chan Ocha on any given hour on any given day; 5) When Anutin deems any farang at any given establishment as being dirty.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The whole 11am to 2pm/5pm to Midnight selling times has been around for a while.

Wonder why 11pm and not midnight ?

I was always under impression that those strange selling time restrictions were applicable only for purchasing alcohol in stores. No restaurant nor bar ever followed such restrictions before. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

The UK had these hours for many years.  Then they allowed bars to stay open in the afternoons.  And........ nothing, the sky didn't fall in, civilisation didn't collapse, there weren't drunks littering the streets.  A non-event really.

I remember those early days. You could trawl round the monthly market towns where the pubs had a licence to serve in the afternoons.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I visited Phuket once thirty years ago.  Beautiful scenery and nice beaches, but I have never had a desire to return since.

Never been at all.

I live in Chiang Mai and the flights to Phuket were always too expensive.

Cheaper to fly to China, Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines.

I never found the beaches in Thailand to be all that nice, usually inundated with sand flies and garbage. Da Nang/Vung Tau/Barreto beaches were so much nicer (compared to Koh Libong, Koh Samet, Yong Ling, Pattaya)

Did I mention the public transport?

I could get a public bus from the airports in Vietnam, a dollar or two for a modern comfortable air-con bus to my destination, reports tell me this isn't possible in Phuket.

Not that bothered about alcohol hours. 

Edited by BritManToo

Here's the thing, it appears there is a driving ambition from those on high to bring in prohibition whilst at the same time increasing tourism. So let's look at some of the places that already have prohibition:

Yemen

Sudan

Somalia

Libya

Iraq

All of which are renowned as holday destinations for tourists......NOT.

Believe it or not, even Iran is less prohibitive than Thailand because in Iran non muslims and foreigners are allowed to brew their own beer, something that is not legal here! A bit much when a Muslim state like Iran has more relaxed laws than a Buddhist nation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Further proof that it’s nothing to do with Covid just the obvious hate for alcohol???????????? Blatantly switching to supermarket selling hours! Why not ban alcohol all together and get it over with, then you can clear out many of those dirty farangs. It was easier to drink in Dubai when I lived there????