Pattaya Mayor orders Bali Hai Pier officials to crackdown on alleged problems, speedboat price gouging, etc.

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have received many complaints about boat (primarily speedboat) operators who have no legal license, some are annoying tourists and not following service rules, unfair boat service fees, and even some boats abandoning passengers after disputes over pricing or other issues. 

Nice to see some of the "old normal" continuing in Thai style.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Exactly...... gullible and new tourists are taken advantage of as standard here..... the jet-ski scam will rear it's head again as soon as there are tourists to be scammed, and the police will be facilitating it as usual and taking their cut. No serious effort is ever made, just lip flapping. I bet the scammers come back with a vengeance having been deprived of victims for so long. 

Just one of the many reasons why Thailand was falling out of favour with western tourists, pre covid.  

The same old scams, ruining people's holidays. 

Many would rather scam a baht here, than offer a decent product or service and earn a baht.  

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Just one of the many reasons why Thailand was falling out of favour with western tourists, pre covid.  

The same old scams, ruining people's holidays. 

Many would rather scam a baht here, than offer a decent product or service and earn a baht.  

Scams happen in all high volum tourist spots, nothing new there...

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Scams happen in all high volum tourist spots, nothing new there...

Not so for what amounts to state sponsored scams.  Eg. all taxis not using their meters, jet-ski extortion etc. 

The scammers are allowed to operate, unimpeded, because police and politicians are in on the scam, thus, state sponsored.  

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not so for what amounts to state sponsored scams.  Eg. all taxis not using their meters, jet-ski extortion etc. 

The scammers are allowed to operate, unimpeded, because police and politicians are in on the scam, thus, state sponsored.  

Are you suggesting thailand is the only place with taxi scams / jetski scams?

Very naive.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

state sponsored scams. 

I think this is what's going on.

Taxi's, speedboats, jewelry scams, mafia beer bars,  prostitution....

Thailand government is ok with it because it's a safety valve that injects income into a lower level of society many of which being uneducated and prone to a criminal darker side would be involved in other far more serious criminality.

Con men, thugs...

These people must be run or at least pay off someone above them. Even lowly street vendors have to pay cops for sidewalk space.

Edited by Chad3000

14 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Most likely because we are in a Thailand forum ? that should have been obvious.  

Oh no, another rocket scientist seems to have engaged....

My point ( which you appeared to have missed ) is that tourist scams go on all over the world, they are by no means unique to Thailand.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

My point ( which you appeared to have missed ) is that tourist scams go on all over the world, they are by no means unique to Thailand.

you just don't get it. no one cares  if it happens all over the world, I am sure they do already know. people are talking about issues in Thailand ,because...... this is a Thailand specific forum not an international forum.  therefore comments are ........   unless your one of the foreigners who are living in a foreigner bubble, there is living in Thailand and then there are the ones who make the appearance of living in Thailand. ( the bubble effect ). 

13 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I think this is what's going on.

Taxi's, speedboats, jewelry scams, mafia beer bars,  prostitution....

Thailand government is ok with it because it's a safety valve that injects income into a lower level of society many of which being uneducated and prone to a criminal darker side would be involved in other far more serious criminality.

Con men, thugs...

These people must be run or at least pay off someone above them. Even lowly street vendors have to pay cops for sidewalk space.

Exactly.  It's been going on for decades. 

Police and other authorities have full knowledge of it, yet, the same old scammers in the same old locations are allowed to continue, and in the case of the jet-ski scam, it's not small money, so has the potential to ruin a tourist's holiday.  

What's a tourist to think when every single taxi driver in a tourist location refuses to use the meter?  

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

We're not talking about the rest  of the world are we, this is a Pattaya forum/thread or did you fail reading and comprehension at school ?

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Reminds me of my first trip to Thailand. I went to visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok but a helpful thai told me it was "closed" but hey there is a taxi driver here who can help you get around.

Surprised the helpful Thai didn't tell you he could arrange for The Grand Palace to be opened, for 500 baht.  ????