Fuel tariff increase drives up electricity pricing

webfact

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Heard that. Just had a 60-70% rise. It’s all across Europe. Water is a killer because you also pay a sewage rate. Thailand’s utilities are cheap and simple. While it’s all relative, count yourselves lucky you’re not seeing huge percentage increases. 

Just read a story online that a lady in the UK can't even get connected in a newly refurbished property as all the energy companies know they will be losing money due to the price cap. Time to renationalise now - and I can't beleive I feel this way as capitalist and libertarian.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topt said:

Who are you with? 

Previously Igloo, recently bust, and now Eon both show rate per day and per kWh in their online "dashboards"-

Electricity

Next Flex

21.78 p/kWh 28.69 p/day

(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas

Next Flex

4.39 p/kWh 30.78 p/day

(All rates inc. VAT)

EON. They are all as bad as each other in the UK. I've looked at price comparisions and switched many times but each provider shows prices as clear as mud. It's run like a cartel. Consumers fleeced rotten. Essential services such as Electricity, Gas and Water should be run as public services. The way things are going with all the carbon net zero it won't be long before the lights start to go out with energy shortgages (and the sun rarely shines and wind don't always blow in the UK). IMO the future is new nuclear but that is unpalatable due to previous safety issues (new nuclear is so much safer but any nuclear has a bad reputation). Cost is an issue but governments should "grow a pair" and ensure that projects are properly funded without being ripped off by international investors, backers and technology providers (EDF and China spring to mind). Anyone interested in new nuclear and should look at some of David Ruzic's lectures which can be compelling viewing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It’s cheap! Suggest upping the temp, get out more, don’t cool whole house, get a better house, acquire newer units, move to cooler part of country. ????

Agreed. Whilst there isn't much that can easily be done about the property, try installing new Inverter A/Cs, closing off rooms not in use and wearing less clothing (I wear just shorts and T shirt at home) in Bangkok. My A/Cs are set at 25 or 26c and despite almost constant use (with TV, Shower, Kettle, Computers and Fridge) my bills are typically only 800-1,600 Baht/Month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

That's a fairly nominal increase but every satang counts for poorer Thai.  Still, I can't see too many of them gluing their face to the road in protest.

It will hardly be felt by the  "poorer" Thais who live by candle light. If they can afford 500 baht per month, they can afford an extra 25 baht or so.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You really do need to look at your lifestyle.

We had our bill yesterday and for the last three months came to 2457 baht, the same period last year was 5032 baht and that same period since 2012 has fallen between 4500 and 5500.

It has been exceptionally cool this autumn, hardly used the aircon and consistently having to use the electric shower.

My bills average about 3000 - 3500 per month most of the year, so an extra 150 baht or so (5% increase) to spend is of no consequence. It's no use getting worked up about things we cannot change. I won't change my indoor climate to save peanuts.

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It’s cheap! Suggest upping the temp, get out more, don’t cool whole house, get a better house, acquire newer units, move to cooler part of country. ????

And take your sheepskin off when you get home.

2 hours ago, itsari said:

How can i disagree as it is certainly my largest bill per month . But I have to say the job of distributing electricity around a country is an expensive business  . The infrastructure and maintenance costs are huge without calculating  in the raw energy costs .

It's the power poles leaping out in front of drivers that costs the money. Stop them doing that and all will be a lot cheaper.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Agreed....certain things should remain under government (or at least NGO) control......energy, water, roads, rail, local buses.......opening them up to so called competition has been an unmitigated disaster .

Everytime anything is privatized it's pushed that competition will see prices go down. I'm not sure if this has happened anywhere. Just the opposite in fact.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Can I assume that at 19C in your bedroom you are wrapped in a thick quilt to keep warm. If you are, I suggest that you turn the stat up to 25 to 29C and get a thinner bed covering.

I have found a higher setting and the ceiling fan on is a good combination. My main bedroom has West facing wall and holds the evening heat......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, itsari said:

What is the cost per kw hour for your off grid system ? 

Probably not an easy question to answer . Many factors to consider 

It would be difficult to work out the cost per kwh without assuming life expectancy of various system component parts. The usual method is to work out the payback time which is the average kwh use multiplied by the current unit cost of PEA power extrapolated into the future and assuming no failures/costs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

My landlady is way ahead! She already charges 9 baht per unit...

Wow ! that is some mark up, and I thought I was being ripped off by our project management at 6 Baht per unit. hope the rent is reasonable to compensate. :wink:

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

It would be difficult to work out the cost per kwh without assuming life expectancy of various system component parts. The usual method is to work out the payback time which is the average kwh use multiplied by the current unit cost of PEA power extrapolated into the future and assuming no failures/costs.

Everyone has their own reasons for going solar which are usually financial. For me that was not the most compelling reason. My electricity supply came from the last post in the village which is 1km away. It was a temporary/construction supply which casts double the normal tariff and, due to the length of the cable run etc. there were almost daily times when the voltage dipped below useable levels. I also felt comfortable about going green. So for me costs were secondary to getting a half decent supply. In terms of payback time I am anticipating nine years which will be next year. The most expensive items are the batteries which only last about 3-5 years in the heat of Thailand. That is included in the payback calculation. The other factors are the green feel good, and the bragging rights.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have found a higher setting and the ceiling fan on is a good combination. My main bedroom has West facing wall and holds the evening heat......

I can understand as my bedroom faces sort of southwest and I have a similar problem but no ceiling fan. I have the curtains permanently closed which cuts a bit of the heat down.

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Everyone has their own reasons for going solar which are usually financial. For me that was not the most compelling reason. My electricity supply came from the last post in the village which is 1km away. It was a temporary/construction supply which casts double the normal tariff and, due to the length of the cable run etc. there were almost daily times when the voltage dipped below useable levels. I also felt comfortable about going green. So for me costs were secondary to getting a half decent supply. In terms of payback time I am anticipating nine years which will be next year. The most expensive items are the batteries which only last about 3-5 years in the heat of Thailand. That is included in the payback calculation. The other factors are the green feel good, and the bragging rights.

quote "The most expensive items are the batteries which only last about 3-5 years in the heat of Thailand."

Wow. I would have hoped for a longer battery life than that. 

I am 77 and I was seriously looking to build a solar system but I am concerned that when I die my wife (age 56) will have to keep the system going and I don't think that she will be able to do it, especially battery replacements.

18 hours ago, JensenZ said:

My bills average about 3000 - 3500 per month most of the year, so an extra 150 baht or so (5% increase) to spend is of no consequence. It's no use getting worked up about things we cannot change. I won't change my indoor climate to save peanuts.

My comment was to someone complaining about the size of their bill, I wasn't suggesting that YOU do anything, so keep your irrelevant comment to yourself.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

My comment was to someone complaining about the size of their bill, I wasn't suggesting that YOU do anything, so keep your irrelevant comment to yourself.

I'll make any comments I like here as long as they don't contravene forum rules, and you keep your criticism of my comments to yourself. Having said that, any comments regarding the price of electricity are quite relavent here as everyone is adding their 2 cents worth.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'll make any comments I like here as long as they don't contravene forum rules, and you keep your criticism of my comments to yourself. Having said that, any comments regarding the price of electricity are quite relavent here as everyone is adding their 2 cents worth.

Hey cool man. Mine is worth at least 15p

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I can understand as my bedroom faces sort of southwest and I have a similar problem but no ceiling fan. I have the curtains permanently closed which cuts a bit of the heat down.

I wish to put in my kilowatt hours worth in .

I have a flat i rent out and the cost of the electricity varies a great deal depending on  who is living there . 

The usage can vary from 500 baht to 2200 baht per month . The variation is from the air conditioner usage .

The present guest has told me they will vacate the premises at the end of the month after telling me the electricity is too expensive . I can see that they never open the windows or doors through the day .

I have tried to explain in the past to them   that if you open windows and use the fans that are provided the flat can be more than comfortable most of the year with out needing to use the air conditioner. 

I rarely use air conditioners myself . 

I charge 5 baht per kwh of usage .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

I wish to put in my kilowatt hours worth in .

I have a flat i rent out and the cost of the electricity varies a great deal depending on  who is living there . 

The usage can vary from 500 baht to 2200 baht per month . The variation is from the air conditioner usage .

The present guest has told me they will vacate the premises at the end of the month after telling me the electricity is too expensive . I can see that they never open the windows or doors through the day .

I have tried to explain in the past to them   that if you open windows and use the fans that are provided the flat can be more than comfortable most of the year with out needing to use the air conditioner. 

I rarely use air conditioners myself . 

I charge 5 baht per kwh of usage .

It wasn't clear if you have a ceiling fan or not, but if you have one over the bed, you can run the airconditioner 1 or 2 degrees higher and still be comfortable. The best way is to keep a digital thermomenter in the room and run the aircon at least 2C under the room temperature. Any higher and the can't get rid of the humidity in the room, especially on very humid days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, itsari said:

have tried to explain in the past to them   that if you open windows and use the fans that are provided the flat can be more than comfortable most of the year with out needing to use the air conditioner. 

Oh please!

Very few people enjoy sleeping anything over 24 celsius.

Personally I prefer 20-22 celsius.

The Only people who talk like you do just are to cheap or genuinely can't afford to pay for air-conditioning.

Get back to reality!

On 11/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, soi3eddie said:

My electricity price in the UK is .21 GBP (21 pence per KWH). More than double Thai prices. 

Its actually pretty cheap here in Thailand.

One can get a little spoiled.

I can't do without air-conditioning thats for sure!

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, soi3eddie said:

Inverter A/Cs,

I tried and found inverter air-conditioning struggle during the hot season and during high humidity.

Ended up removing them and using Mitsubishi Mr Slims.  Despite the minimal extra cost I've had Cool rooms the last 3 years.

Don't be upset. 

Many people swear on inverter's.

But they didn't work for me.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thanks 1