Back to UK for health treatment..

Worldplus

You're probably better off doing some proper research than relying on the opinion of aseannow.com posters.

Here's what the UK Citizen's Advice Bureau has to say about "NHS charges for people from abroad":

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/

Give them a call on 0800 144 8848, and speak to somebody who actually deals with these kind of issues every day.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chivas said:

Whilst it clearly would make no difference to the OP (before someone says it) I repeat what I've said before

Never ever completely sever your ties with the UK especially GP lists. Use children/relations address for any correspondance etc

The net has made it ever more easy to stay on a Doctors patient list

That is against regulations, when I left the UK for Germany some 50 years ago I was told I had to deregister from the GP list which I did, I still have my National health card and number but I should imagine that a quick look in the computer would show it to be invalid.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the authorities in the UK are idiots, they know where you are. An acquaintance of mine registered with his brother in England before coming to Thailand, while here he got greedy and tried to apply for a winter heating allowance, he got a letter to his brothers address saying he didn't qualify as he was living in Thailand.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

That is against regulations, when I left the UK for Germany some 50 years ago I was told I had to deregister from the GP list which I did, I still have my National health card and number but I should imagine that a quick look in the computer would show it to be invalid.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the authorities in the UK are idiots, they know where you are. An acquaintance of mine registered with his brother in England before coming to Thailand, while here he got greedy and tried to apply for a winter heating allowance, he got a letter to his brothers address saying he didn't qualify as he was living in Thailand.

Well you better tell half the expats around the world of your concerns......And yes I know for certain authorities are indeed idiots ????

We are not talking about benefits heating allowances universal credit bogus billys ingrowing toenails sickness claim we are talking about remaining on a GP's list

Out of interest I cant remember the last time I had a physical letter from the GP. 10 years maybe. Not seen a GP for about that time either.

What I do get are SMS occasionally telling me about services available at the practice. I could be literally anywhere in the world

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Worldplus said:

Last December I caught TB... I was shocked and after 12 mths I'm on 18 tabs a day and feeling <deleted>...

Have you spoken to your doctor? Some of these meds have horrible side affects and you can explain that to the doctor, he might find other meds with less side affects after 18 months you should not still be on meds IMO. Have you done any research on side affects from the meds you are on ? Are you still contagious ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

More fool you!

Never tell your government where you are or what you are doing.

Do you think they are clueless ?  You can have a bank account in England and get your pension paid there but how do you get your money, ATM here, Transferwise, etc. The tax office can and do have access to your bank account, they can see all payments made and where they are going, where do you apply for a new passport? if you don't fly back and get it done here they know, even if applying back in England they can still see all the visas in your old passport. If you have an address in England then you are liable for council tax. They have so many ways of getting to you if they want to. When I applied for my German pension, attached to the form from my German pension provider was all the payments I had made to the UK pension, the world is a village.

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The information you posted regarding the CAB link has already been posted a few times in this thread but posters seem to ignore what they're being told. I agree with the CAB link.

I suspect that they will brush aside the matter of him being away for 30 years if he does get a plane home, especially if he still has a UK address or is registered at a doctor's surgery.

I'd probably call someone like the CAB to check before I booked my tickets home, though ????

16 hours ago, Worldplus said:

Well..  I presume I am covered by UK healthcare...not lived in UK for 30 yrs..

I am British with a UK passport..

In the UK you do not need to show a passport at the Hospital. so keep schtum, you have needed a doctor in 30 yrs is what i would say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

According to CDC, treatment for TB doesn't seem to require 12 months. 

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/treatment/tbdisease.htm

The 9 mth medication I first got made me puke, back in hospital for 2 weeks in isolation again (take note anti-vaxers) it was changed and to a 12 month medication. the worst side affect was arthritis, but now ok. it still took me overall 18 months to recover, and was very proud of myself for climbing up the Anchor Wat steps while on holiday in Cambodia.????

Just now, BritManToo said:

Do they ask every person that visits a UK hospital these questions?

I've certainly never encountered them.

They check to see if you have a suspiciously permanent looking suntan first ...

I suppose questions might get asked if you weren't registered with any UK doctor's surgery?

• Haha 1

Just now, AseanLao said:

"They" aren't allowed to just collect all the data they want and share it with each other. Ever heard of the Data Protection Act or GDPR?

The NHS aren't allowed to ask HMRC for information about financial transactions going in and out of your bank account, same as HMRC can't ask the NHS about details of your mental health.

Who gives UK immigration the authority to share your passport stamps with other UK organisations? Data protection.

Yes correct, that's the theory anyway. Many years ago while still in Germany I applied for a new passport from the British embassy in Dusseldorf, one week later I was getting calls on my office extension at work in Munich from about 10 companies in the UK wanting to sell me insurance, stocks and shares, hand made shoes etc. it would seem that the embassy or someone working there was selling info, I complained to the embassy but got no satisfaction so I handed everything to the BMW security people who said that they would deal with it, never heard anything from them but the phone calls did abruptly stop.

It would be grossly irresponsible to board a commercial flight, particularly one that lasts around 11 hours or more, knowing you have TB. You would be exposing all nearby passengers and cabin crew to the risk of infection.

If you have been so unlucky as to catch the antibiotic resistant disease then I have enormous sympathy for you but you would not want to expose others to this risk.

My wife contracted TB on a flight from the UK to the USA. Thereafter followed 6 months of treatment. All the people we could name that she had contact with had to undergo testing. It was a real mess. I am sure you would not want to subject others to the worry and, possibly, life changing affliction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Some people manage to flout the charging legislation, many others don't, there have been numerous members posting on TV over the years stating that they've been charged in the UK for treatment.

I have never read one post as you claim above?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, geisha said:

Why not go to a Thai hospital ? I’m sure they are well versed in TB. 

Right. And spend a time in a mountainous area - especially now in winter - that can be much better than a climate in UK.  

That's how it was treated many years ago - a sojourn in Swiss mountains.

16 hours ago, theoldgit said:

You are not covered for free NHS Treatment unless you are actually resident in the UK, it doesn't matter if you left the UK thirty years ago, or thirty days ago, unless to can prove that you're actually resident, apart for certain conditions, you're charged 150% of the actual cost of treatment, even if you're a UK taxpayer.

NHS Trusts are obliged by law to implement the charges.

If you can prove that your returning to the UK to settle, you're covered from day one.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/742251/guidance-on-implementing-the-overseas-visitor-charging-regulations-may-2018.pdf

what if he arrived by Dinghy...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never earned any money outside of the UK.

I've always been careful to put 3rd party financial institutions between the UK and me.

I even used to walk my money from one Thai bank to a second Thai bank, so I couldn't be tracked.

They'd need a court order to view my bank transactions, then a subsequent court order to view the 3rd party transactions.

Sure, if I were a suspected international terrorist it'd be possible, given enough money, time and determination. Even as a person accused of committing crimes of violence, the police didn't bother.

But for someone suspected of claiming pension rises ..... laughable.

As for my passport, I always fly back to the UK and do the 'in person' application, takes 2hrs to process. I don't believe they had time to copy any pages from my old passport, they did hundreds of applications an hour.

Once every 10 years is no big deal.

But what it comes down to in the end .......

You are fearful of what you believe is your all powerful and all seeing government.

I believe my government aren't competent, or interested enough to bother with me (beyond a token effort).

Enjoy living your life in fear of your own government.

Not in fear but careful, once in the mesh it is difficult to get out. I have no intention of ever going back whatever at 73 I can see the end door ajar so if I am told I need an OP costing x amount of millions I'll just leave it and take the elegant way out ie, do nothing. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The 9 mth medication I first got made me puke, back in hospital for 2 weeks in isolation again (take note anti-vaxers) it was changed and to a 12 month medication. the worst side affect was arthritis, but now ok. it still took me overall 18 months to recover, and was very proud of myself for climbing up the Anchor Wat steps while on holiday in Cambodia.????

Was this in Thailand? If here, was it expensive? My point being, if your treatment was carried out here, at affordable rates, and was (eventually) successful, why fly back to the UK? Except he's already had 18 months' treatment apparently.