Moving to Thailand - is bringing furniture etc worth the hassle?

SunshineSeeker

2 hours ago, Toscano said:

To bring a lot of household furniture would be very expensive and antique furniture of style inappropriate in Thailand .

Style is what you want and make it, it is not country specific.  I brought an oak table and chairs to Thailand from UK, Monetizing the decision, the cost of transportation was half what the table and chairs were worth as they were manufactured to my own design by the 'Yorkshire Cat man', who some will know.  No way was I leaving those behind even if we hardly ever use them. They fit very well into my dinning room. 

23 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

We moved to Thailand from the US 2 1/2 years ago we took some nice furniture (sofa, dining set etc. Crate and Barrel, West Elm) with us that would be expensive here. We sold all our rugs (hand made) as no use  for them here. Took all kitchen stuff. Good quality bedding is still expensive here so take if you have or even buy more. Bicycles (Pinarello) . Electronics US uses different voltage so no electronics were taken. Top of the line TV or fridge is around 40000-50000THB. From the US it took 8 weeks to get our stuff so I would not be sitting for 8 weeks without my fridge. Used US-Thai registered company they were very efficient, no customs no hassle.  Paid around 2000USD.

If retiring (you have to have retirement visa to be able to get this) you get a free .... free (well it was when I did it 3 odd years ago), one-off import of 'personal household belongings/good' no tax whatsoever.

I imported a half-container with my tools, pressure washer, all my quality garden tools, garden and trade power tools, car detailing gear (bought tones of this stuff in as its also prohibitively expensive in LOS), some antique furniture, all my clothes (many very expensive to replace), and tonnes of quality bedding and manchester (4 bedroom house to cover - unpacked and washed then repacked so they didn't look new and have any chance Customs, if inspecting, saying I was importing for the purposes of selling.

We bought about 20 sets of bedding (mostly bamboo and bamboo cotton mix - much cooler and softer for the tropics), new mattress toppers, mattress protectors, lightweight dooners, pillows galore for all the rooms to last years lol ????) ...

Linen like table cloths, towels as these are also crazy-expensive.

Manchester/linen is ludicrously expensive here ... for good manchester e.g. $700 AUD for a cotton dooner cover at Central department store or a nice shop in say Emporium or the like is common!!!! $500 for a sheet and pillow cases for crikeys sake - no top sheet even!!!! ... and on upwards for really high end stuff! 

Kitchen stuff, knife-set ... ONE good imported general chefs knife will set you back $400 AUD here!

I also shipped all my wine and spirits. Good imports are also crazy-as-a-loon prices in LOS. 

I shipped some of my Persian handmade rugs and we are glad of them and do use them in the cooler months. Some art pieces I have and love.
I bought all my surfboards of course! 

If you work out then a new pair of runner shoes and gym shoes, gym clothes, would be a good idea as genuine branded ones are costly here.

If you have a good sound system bring it, or if you'd like to own one go buy it in the US and pop it in your container as this gear is insanely expensive in LOSS.

If you wear quality glasses get new ones made, and set up an optometrist contact in the US who'll ship new ones to you as these are also insanely expensive (for good lenses - 3 times the price in Oz!). Of course cheap glasses can be had with equally cheap eye damaging lenses - Charoen chain is a great example of the shops NOT to buy from. 

As other OP's have mentioned don't bother with fridges, washers, tv's etc as these are very decent value in Thailand - more than the US maybe but by Aussie standards good value.

You gotta watch Customs cause if you bring say a bag full of expensive shoes in as my buddy did (most hand made for him). He got charged $800 AUD to bring the bag of his own shoes in despite him telling Customs exactly which Bangkok high end stores he'd bought them from and the years he had bought them in ... it was obvious they were worn, and his!

I moved to Thailand many years ago and brought everything with me from the UK. Disposing of it in UK prior to the move would have been more of a pain than shipping to Thailand. The one item I would have brought from the UK If I had been more aware, would have been a decent size upright freezer. I moved all my workshop machines as well as household items. Yes, I could have bought everything again in Thailand but most of my things were in good condition and wouldn't need replacement for years if ever.

In my opinion it is not worth it, I moved here 25 years ago and I hade severe problems with some boxes I sent that where stopped at immigration. This resulted in that I sold and gave away all the stuff I intended to send. They wanted 10 000 bath each to release the 3 boxes(10-15 kg each) I sent with no real valuables in them,  so I just told them to return them, which they actually did, but it took 8 months before they were back. Several other people I know had similar experiences. You probably will be better of buying new stuff. But you can also be lucky. I know a few that were, but not many.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:55 AM, SunshineSeeker said:

Any thoughts on costs of doing the move versus buying new quality items...

It really depends of the quality of your household items, and if they are fit for your future life-style, and the price of similar items, if you buy them in Thailand.

A major exception is items of sentimental value that cannot be converted to money.

I moved to Thailand from Denmark, which is about same distance or little longer than from Australia, and I had a 20 feet container with household items moved to Thailand, the total cost was around $10,000 (US), including custom clearance and little duty plus v.a.t.

So for a start - if the household is not including items of sentimental value, which cannot be moved in luggage or by the allowed one air shipment box - you can figure out how much new can be bought for about 350,000 baht, and how much extra you will "pay" for omitting the hassle of packing stuff, writing detailed packing lists, heading to Bangkok with your passport for custom clearance, and having the container moved to final destination in Thailand, the latter easily another 10,000 baht.

When moving household stuff I was advised by my shipping agent to opt for a container, even I couldn't fill it up - they will use air balloons to keep the stuff in place, if the container is not full - as it's both cheaper and more safe than surface shipping boxes or parcels. Furthermore I was advised to make a total loss insurance only - it does happen that containers are lost - whilst a damage insurance was said to be expensive, and no guaranitie for payment in case of damage, but rather discussions if the insurance covered it or it was the transporter's responsibility.

The reason I decided to move a 20-feet was due to some sentimental stuff and my collections of books and some rather heavy musical instruments, which I would like to keep. I didn't bring more than very few furniture of special interest, the majority I bought instead new in Thailand...????

It sounds like you have good quality, attractive furniture you are fond of. Things that meet that criteria, I would bring if possible. Certainly don't bother with Ikea-type stuff, that you can easily get here but more upscale furniture is limited in choice here, expensive,  and also, for reasons I have never understood, incredibly ugly and (re chairs/sofas) uncomfortable.

Appliances can easily be gotten here except perhaps freezer.

• Like 1

depends on what you might want to bring with you .Personal items and valuable antiques , high quality furniture .Some things ie things you have collected over may years and are irreplaceable .  Generally it's not worth it apart from aforementioned .

I brought in a 40ft container from France last year and was lucky before the container/shipping rates went sky high ! I had a good agent but still had to go to Bangkok and deal with documents thro the agent .    Problem for me was that with limited time to sell items when my property sold ,I found people wanted things for nothing so it was either give things away at knock down prices or bite the bullet and ship it here .     I wasn't prepared to loose both ways ie sell at a big loss only to have to pay out again here .

So it depends on what you have and value .    Certainly leave the electronic/electrical stuff behind and also only bring lightweight clothing .             

I am not sure if the rules have changed recently or are better applied or simly I used a company that keeps to them.  We shipped in my wife's name (Thai).  Below are the regulations.  You will see that even for a Thai returning home there is import duty on five categories of items:

all tools, musical instruments, sports and leisure equipment and furniture, and the second or more of any electrical appliances. 

I told teh shipper what I had, he estimated the duty at 10,000 Baht.  I paid this and they did not even open the container.  In theory they are supposed to open boxes at random.

Thailand customs regulation: 

In order to receive the exception of import duty and tax, the client must qualify under the following rules and laws: 

• The client must have stayed abroad for more than 365 days.
  • The shipment must arrive in Thailand not more than 30 days prior to the owner's arrival and not more than 6 months after their last arrival to Thailand.
  • The client must not have stayed in Thailand for more than 90 days on any one trip over the previous 1-2 years of the shipment arriving at port  (Please note that Departure and Arrival Stamps in the client passport is very important for customs processes. The client must have all stamps in and out of Thailand stamped in their passport booklet, if they do not have all the stamps, they must request this from the Immigration office here in Bangkok, Thailand, or we can get this for them when they return but we must charge (THB1,500 for this service)
  • This service will take 7 working days which the storage or other expenses might increase to avoid those, the document needs to be done before the shipment arrives. The address of immigration office is 507 Thanon Suan Phlu, Thung Maha Mek, Sathon, Bangkok 10120, Tel : 02-287-3101, Hotline : 1178
  •  Client must not have used the import duties and taxes exemption previously.

If the shipper cannot provide original documents

we must use copies, and there will be an extra charge as there is a different process for importing shipments when using copies only. This results in extra work and outside costs for paperless entry(a part of duty&tax). 
The actual charge is based on how many items in your packing list, please see the calculations as below:
  • Tier 1 : 1-3 items = THB 500 (flat rate)
  • Tier 2 : 4-20 items = THB 500 + THB 40 each item above 3
  • Tier 3 : 21 + items = THB 500 + THB 30 each item above 21
So, when calculating the charges above, each tier will be calculated , meaning that if you have 27 items for example, you will pay each of the tiers as below
27 items = THB 1,390 ,  THB 500 (Item number 1 -3) + 17 x THB 40 (Item number 4 - 20 ) + 7 x THB 30 (Item numbers 21 - 27)

Please do note  that this is a 3rd party cost that we cannot control or discount, we can also provide a copy of the receipt when it is issued (may not be immediate)
and this charge not included 7% tax yet

If the client fits this criteria and also provides customs with their original passport booklets, both old and new, and also original Thai ID card, they will have an exemption of import duty and tax on most items.

A. Please note items that will still carry import duty and tax are: Only one unit each of such items is eligible for duty free allowance. In case of two or more units of the same category, imporall tools, musical instruments, sports and leisure equipment and furniture, and the second or more of any electrical appliances. t duty & tax will be applied.(Calculation based on the average second hand value of item).Example: If you are importing two or more televisions, the first one will be free of charges but the second and more will be charged import duty and tax.

B. If the client cannot provide original passport booklets and original Thai ID card but submit a copy of them only, then the client has to pay import duty and tax in full. (Remarks: depend on how many items.)

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP):

1. Upon arrival of the shipment, the above documents will be submitted to the Customs officials (3-4 working days).

2. Importer is required to pay import duty & tax, if any.

3. The shipment will be inspected and released by the Airport Authority (3-5 working days).

4. Delivery to be arranged within a few days for Bangkok city limit, and approx. a week for the destination outside Bangkok.

• Like 1

When I moved here in 2010 I shipped just two furniture items, beautiful, prized antique Korean chests, one of which I had inherited.  I also shipped meaningful artwork and art objects that I had been taking along with me on each and every one of my numerous moves in the US--I see some of the story of my life in them.  I would say try to ship what is very meaningful to you, if you can.  Anything else can probably be replaced here.  

I recommend that you check (or have your removal company do it) the rules and customs duties for importing HH goods and personal belongings with a serious international removal company in Thailand before deciding.

Electronic goods and household machines of good quality is available in Bangkok (e.g. Power Buy, HomePro, Emporium, etc.), quality foreign made furniture too, but it takes some searching to find good furniture.

Because of the worldwide covid shipping crisis some items may not be available at the moment. For example, I could not find something as simple as ink cartridges for my HP printer, and there were virtually no new printers for sale in the shops recently, but that will hopefully change in the not too distant future.