Better not to be helpful or caring

georgegeorgia

The other day I am walking in my area in Australia walking in the City when a young asian lady falls over in front of me ,i quickly stop and ask her if she is ok before offering her my hand to get her on her feet,she slipped with her high heels.

I told a chinese guy about it when i arrived back at work and he said he would never help anyone that slipped over etc in case they sued you ???

Apparently in china they dont help each other if there is a accident

Now this reminded me of driving in Pattaya one night in 2013 where we were drving up on  the highway and a motorbike crashed ,this was like 2am and the farang i was driving with at the time went around the guy laying on the road ,he had been a long time expat but said he cant get involved .

Also just not this sort of stuff ,i as i age im becoming bitter in "helping" others ,I no longer hold doors open etc for people after a bad experience in pattaya where i held a glass door open for a farang and thai lady only to be abused by the farang that he doesnt need my help ,so i  find its more trouble than its worth helping people,sometimes its far better not to help others and i saw that last week travelling on a bus the bus driver was about to leave the bus stop,closed his doors and was about to drive off when he stopped suddenly to be the "white knight" to let two young idiots drunks on the bus who proceeded to abuse him for driving off suddenly ,he then had to stop the bus to call the police on them,looking for my sympathy i told him he brought it on himself the silly idiot,as i exited the bus and told him being nice stopping his bus didnt work did it 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1

My aunt, at age 80, confessed to me once that nothing tickles her funny bone more than seeing somebody fall down. The expression on their face, the way their arms and legs fly around in crazy directions. She said she didn't want them to get hurt, but even if the did, she just couldn't help but laughing.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd help a child in trouble if I had to.

Everyone else can fend for themselves.

When working in an NHS hospital in London we were told not to touch a child as might be accused of something untoward. Only qualified children's nurses allowed to, and even they were forbidden to cuddle a child post op. So, if I saw a child arrest while in hospital, I couldn't do CPR, but had to call the team. PC gone mad.

Outside the hospital I think I'd be covered by the Good Samaritan law that says one won't be prosecuted if doing it to save life. IMO most western countries have Good Samaritan laws that offer legal protection to people who give reasonable assistance to those who are, or whom they believe to be injured or ill.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I told a chinese guy about it when i arrived back at work and he said he would never help anyone that slipped over etc in case they sued you ???

Google "good samaritan law in Australia" and one gets 'Australian states and territories have in place Good Samaritan legislation to ensure that people who step forward to provide emergency medical assistance are not held legally liable for their actions, provided they acted in good faith.' I don't know if that covers helping a woman up after falling over.

I'll never offer a single woman I don't know a ride in my car though. PC gone mad.

• Like 1

Many years ago I was standing outside a hairdresser whilst waiting for my wife to finish her hair.

A lady pushing a pram with a baby exited the hairdresser and was struggling to get down the stairs.

My automatic reaction was to aid the struggling lady at the same a telling her can I help.

She started screaming that I was trying to steal her child and my wife had to come out and ease the situation and I explained that I was only trying to help.

Since that day I refuse to help anyone struggling again except for old people and I will always ask before doing anything about it.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Many years ago I was standing outside a hairdresser whilst waiting for my wife to finish her hair.

A lady pushing a pram with a baby exited the hairdresser and was struggling to get down the stairs.

My automatic reaction was to aid the struggling lady at the same a telling her can I help.

She started screaming that I was trying to steal her child and my wife had to come out and ease the situation and I explained that I was only trying to help.

Since that day I refuse to help anyone struggling again except for old people and I will always ask before doing anything about it.

I am an old person but you like as not live too far away to help me.  

Many years ago , about 50 , a chap who was about 60 yo said how sad things had got when if a child fell over and cut his/her knee he couldn't help with a cuddle , and out with a hankie could of caused him trouble and that was 50 years ago.  

• Like 1

In China at least it was always the general presumption that if you were involved in the accident in any way, including helping after the event, then you could be considered a party liable for a compensation claim.

I lived in China for a couple of years and I remember a story where an old lady was hit crossing the road, a pedestrian came to help, and he was found guilty of causing her injuries by the courts, the reasoning because "an innocent person would not have felt obligated to give aid". There was no evidence at all that he was the driver, and this was not even considered.

There were many other stories involving people literally dying in the streets because no-one would come to help them, because they don't want to risk being liable.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Google "good samaritan law in Australia" and one gets 'Australian states and territories have in place Good Samaritan legislation to ensure that people who step forward to provide emergency medical assistance are not held legally liable for their actions, provided they acted in good faith.' I don't know if that covers helping a woman up after falling over.

I'll never offer a single woman I don't know a ride in my car though. PC gone mad.

Why would you want to help a woman you didn't know, and didn't want to have sex with?

Those women are our enemies, somewhere in the world is a guy they betrayed!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

When i worked in the US in 2013 it was the companies policy that everyone did a first aid course. When the teacher arrived (retired paramedic) the first words out of his mouth were - 'Even though I'm about to teach you how to save someone's life, my advise would be don't - just call an ambulance '

Its quite common to break the persons ribs while performing CPR and he explained that in the 50 or so occasions that he'd successfully performed it -about 10 of them later tried to sue him. 

One young lady tried to sue him for ripping her shirt open and touching her - performing the CPR. At the time she had actually thanked him for saving here life. I guess some snake of a lawyer got in touch afterwards. 

• Like 1

I was taught old fashioned manners, and didn't really realise how rude people are until I had a baby.

The number of people who just pushed and shoved in front of the wife pushing a pram angered me.

So, we bought a pram the size of a Sherman tank and I pushed it.

If someone wants to push in front of a 6 foot 3 man weighing 103kg pushing a 100 kg pram and ends up with two broken ankles, I don't care.

And, believe it or not, many still did.

19 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I am an old person but you like as not live too far away to help me.  

Many years ago , about 50 , a chap who was about 60 yo said how sad things had got when if a child fell over and cut his/her knee he couldn't help with a cuddle , and out with a hankie could of caused him trouble and that was 50 years ago.  

Yes, completely unacceptable to touch children just because they fell over , its the parents job to help their kids