Very few Thais have emergency funds to handle an unexpected situation: study

webfact

28 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

True. I wonder how many citizens of European countries would have the funds to survive a three months period.

The big difference to Thailand there's (still) a strong social security system

And a much stronger familial and social extension.....and less fanciful lifestyles/thought.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

When I confronted her, the old screaming and yelling event occurred and the Kitchen knife was brandished, all the while why she continued to yell I did not take good enough care.  6 months later she found herself a true millionaire and off she went......

Be optimistic, you got off cheap, not free mind, but cheap. 

No warning signs.. they are usually there?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The big difference to Thailand there's (still) a strong social security system

Adequate if you’re paid in, but in general state protection in Thailand is woeful. Unless you have family to back you up you’re basically fugged. Spose you could always go to the temple. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

This isn't true because the pandemic is already close to two years and we  see a lot of Thai still surviving beyond 3 months.

Surviving how, with little to spend, loosing everything including jobs and business opportunities, and with little help from this Government.  Not thriving at all....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Plenty of Thai Families around us that don't have a Pot to <deleted> in let alone Emergency Funds !

So true. And I pity the poor buggers much of the time but really in my experience they seem to pess it away as fast as they get it. Many businesses have a few good days and then shut for a couple. Only work when they need some money today. They just never get ahead and I don't know how you can help people like that, which covers certainly a majority of the rural people here. They are lucky they can return to their villages and live on literally nothing but rice, and plenty of other stuff can be readily foraged. Usually some family member will put them up. I really don't know how Thailand has survived thus far, particularly 2 years on. The Isaan and rural people working in the tourist areas sending money back home. Thats all dried up. I thought I could feel the economy starting to bite up here a few months ago but was in Makro yesterday and busier than ever. Makes no sense to me.

One of the economic strengths of Thailand was before they had virtually zero employment and zero inflation. I don't know if anyone has noticed but general items here increasing monthly. Little by little but over a few months everything seems to have gone up 30-40%. Now CP has control of everything should come as no shock I guess but if there is going to be a nail in the coffin of Thailand I reckon it's going to be inflation 

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 2

When it comes to setting money aside, Kamolphu recommends saving a minimum of 10 percent of your income each month.

For example, if you earn 30,000 baht a month and your fixed expenses come to 12,000 baht, the calculation is as follows:

30,000 baht (income) – 3,000 baht (saving) – 12,000 baht  (fixed expenses) = 15,000 baht (monthly personal expenses)

15,000 baht is then divided by 30, meaning that your daily budget is 500 baht.

A few thoughts on this article. (1) It's really unfortunate that personal finance isn't taught in schools. People should have access to this info. If someone will translate and distribute I'll write/teach a beginners course for free.

(2) The quoted guy is right. Budgeting is critical and prioritizing the savings bucket before allocating the spending bucket is also the right move.

But at the same time like, if you're earning 30,000 and saving 10% that's like...$100 per month. Better than nothing but probably not gonna get you to where you want to be, either.

Cutting “The Latte Factor” can also add up to big savings, she adds, pointing out that stopping the spending on small purchases like a latte can add up to a large amount of money over time.

Thanyawan has applied this approach in her own life, cutting down on the 50 baht she was spending every day on iced coffee and putting the cash into savings.

Man I hate these coffee examples (not sure why everyone uses coffee as the example). Specifically because saving 50 THB/day isn't enough to move the needle. 50*365 = 18,250 in increased savings per year. Less than $1,000. Like, I get that it's an illustrative example, but damn - everyone seems to paint coffee as the spending villain. Maybe I'm just triggered because I buy a lot of coffee ????

Anyway this brings me to the final point: (3) cutting spending is bounded on the lower end by zero. Can't spend less than 0. But increasing earnings really has no upper limit. Teaching people to be responsible with their money is important, but I feel that part of that financial responsibility ought to be making sure that you have enough income to live a good life while also being responsible on the savings/investment front.

The art of personal finance is walking the line between living well today and planning for the future. Starting early and expanding income is the best way to make sure you can do both.

47 minutes ago, Robin said:

Most Thais lack any imagination to be able to plan ahead.  Plus the fatalism of  "If you talk about it you will make something happen."

I have to do the planning for our family;  wife simply does not want to think about it.

Is it a national characteristic or that bad schooling does not teach basic planning or common cense?

Never a truer word was spoken! I mean physical laziness is one thing but I can't abide mental laziness. My wife has an utter aversion to sit and think through anything for even a minute, when she has nothing better to do apparently than scroll through Facebook for hours investigating other peoples lives. Forget planning, they seem to give every opportunity in life to set them selves up for failure. Have you ever seen 2 Thais organizing to meet somewhere? Meet you near Lotus on big road (the big road is 15km long and has 7 Lotus shops). I miss not having someone to bounce things off or give ideas. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A large majority of Thai people don’t have enough money to handle an emergency situation for longer than three months, especially during such a crisis as the pandemic.

The wealth divide has been increased over the last 6 years or more... should we be surprised?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Have you ever seen 2 Thais organizing to meet somewhere? Meet you near Lotus on big road (the big road is 15km long and has 7 Lotus shops).

But they do have a smartphone with LINE, and you can share your GPS location at the touch of a button.