Thailand considers triple AstraZeneca vaccine regimen to fight Omicron variant

webfact

8C439762-DB82-49B6-96BE-A2480B4038F6.jpg

Thailand’s Disease Control Department (DCD) is in the process of obtaining information from Oxford University’s lab study, which shows that a three-dose course of AstraZeneca vaccine is effective against the rapidly spreading Omicron variant.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, head of the DCD, said today (Friday) that Oxford University’s report will be studied by the immune enhancement committee, which comprises vaccine experts, to determine whether Thailand’s vaccination regimen should be adjusted to three AstraZeneca doses, instead of two, and a booster of Pfizer.

Findings by Oxford University, which are yet to be published in a peer-reviewed medical journal, match those from rivals Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, which have also found a third dose of their vaccines work against Omicron.

The study on the AstraZeneca vaccine Vaxzevria showed that, three doses produced neutralizing levels against Omicron which are broadly similar to those against the Delta variant after two doses.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-considers-triple-astrazeneca-vaccine-regimen-to-fight-omicron-variant/

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Logo-top-.png

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pib said:

They are trying hard to find justification for more procurement of more AstraZeneca.  

I think they've already budgeted and ordered another 60 mm AZ doses for 2022.

More like they need a home for these, and are hoping to find pin-cushions?

Cheaper too.

• Like 1

Just now, cardinalblue said:

A common cold is a common cold…omicron is omicron….

if your purpose is to say it is a milder form of Covid with symptoms similar to a cold for a younger healthier person then say so…

the ability to articulate is important…

Both are coronaviruses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Just let it rip so we can all get it and become immune, simple if you ask me, i.e. unless I'm missing something ?

You have to consider the bigger picture. The UK appeared to be taking your view until they started to suffer acute staff shortages, now they are reintroducing restrictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

They are trying hard to find justification for more procurement of more AstraZeneca.  

Yes.

Luckily they just happen to have the factory here so they can easily transfer the taxpayers money directly to the company.

If worse comes to worse the can import mRNA vaccines to the Red cross to distribute to the MP's for hefty profits on the taxpayers dime.

Everyone wins.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

A common cold is a common cold…omicron is omicron….

if your purpose is to say it is a milder form of Covid with symptoms similar to a cold for a younger healthier person then say so…

the ability to articulate is important…

Remember, just under a couple of years ago.....quite a number of people were carping on about Covid being 'just the flu'... as people drowned in their own fluids in Italian hospitals, then UK ones, USA ones, Mexican and Brazilian. On TV we had overworked medical staff telling us, this is not a cold.

The 'people' put their heads under the blanket for a good while as S. African, UK and Indian variants made things worse..... they have started to peek out and mumble again!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

My booster is due in January... I hope the vaccine experts at the "immune enhancement committee" have come to a conclusion by then.

Mine is due January 7th.

I’m hoping that they DONT reach a conclusion. I’m quite happy to take the much more widely used Pfizer booster than have a 3rd AZ, for which Thai “experts” are the only ones recommending as a booster as a result of yet another non peer reviewed thai study, but which puts money in the hands of a locally owned company.

I know I’m cynical, but what can I say? I just don’t trust these guys. I mean, supposedly they have enough Pfizer according to Anutin, so why the sudden suggested change to AZ?

4 minutes ago, grathiam said:

FWIW...went to the Stadium this morning, to get a booster shot. I was informed

that you need to wait at least 3-months after your 2nd AstraZenica shot  to get

the booster shot. A wasted trip...!

Well known in the news that one has to wait some months (think it was 6 months but has now reduced to 3 months) before a booster shot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Well known in the news that one has to wait some months (think it was 6 months but has now reduced to 3 months) before a booster shot.

I thought it had been reduced to 3 months even for a Pfizer on Pfizer booster, but someone informed me it is still 6. Since Omicron is obviously here and NYE traffic is on the roads already, I would hope not to have to wait until March.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Wait they are now starting to advise a 4th jab. In almost 1 year the norm is now 4 jabs.

What is full vaccinated now, 2, 3 or 4 jabs?

It is like insurance...... you have the 'protection' it gives for a year and then need to renew!

• Haha 1