Motorcycle taxi riders given electric bikes in EGAT pilot scheme

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Business News

Bangkok Business News reported on a ceremony attended by the head of the Electrical Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) in which 51 electric motorcycles were given to taxi riders in the Bang Kruay area of Nonthaburi.

This is the location of the EGAT HQ.

It is part of a one year trial in which 50 more bikes will be handed out to riders in the area under the EGAT Carbon Neutrality plan. 

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Business News

The pilot scheme will be monitored by a local university.

The bikes have a range of 100 kilometers on one charge and can go 80 kmph and carry 150 kilograms. 

They are also fitted with GPS trackers.

Three battery replacement depots are also in place as part of the pilot scheme.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-28

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

Frantically looking for Km long extension cords.

I'm kinda negative on electric scooters here, I appreciate the environmental effort, but absolutely no warning - 7/11 delivery uses them in my neighborhood - when they come up behind you on the footpath.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Useless in pattaya 

150kg is the average weight of a pattaya tourist, add the weight of the taxi motor bike rider puts it way over legal limit. 

As a minimal percentage of potential passengers I doubt the trial considered oversized tourists in any assessment ! Perhaps they could donate a few electric golf carts for a comparison?

Great to see this trial.  Range may be an issue, but swappable batteries could be the answer.

I think electric could work well for the short distance, inner-city shuttle service service of a 'win'.  But think it will be a long time before it's practical in more rural situations.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Useless in pattaya 

150kg is the average weight of a pattaya tourist, add the weight of the taxi motor bike rider puts it way over legal limit. 

why they didn't choose Patts.

Hope they set up charging stations where locals will be doing their commute.  Crappy specs also, as my E-scooter is rated for 200 kg & 100-150 kms.

Gov't & EGAT are a bit behind the private sector, as usual, as my scooter is being used by an ice-cream sales company & also by one of the delivery companies, complimenting their fleet with e-scooters.  Just 2 that I know of.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, kotsak said:

Nice.. Stealth mode while riding on the sidewalks.. Let me grab my popcorn..

Yes, at present, that is definitely an issue.  When driving my e-scooter, I surprise more than a few crossing or in the roadway already.  Extreme defensive driving is necessary.

Even have to toot the horn, when driving through the local troop of monkeys on the roadway.  Comically spooking more than a few, and thankfully none copped an attitude about it.

Those loud piped ICE are practical at times.

20 minutes ago, hamleknoi said:

You can pick up Chinese e-bikes for $450 USD if you buy 50 or more. Expect fires.

Until you get charged another $450 when you pick them up from customs.  

Here's what I found available worth buying here, and tagged / registered. 

DECO ... Entry level at ฿36,700

Best specs & value ...

DECO line up.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Until you get charged another $450 when you pick them up from customs.  

Here's what I found available worth buying here, and tagged / registered. 

DECO ... Entry level at ฿36,700

Best specs & value ...

DECO line up.jpg

Unless you have a large array, solar will probably only power your bike if that. Thailand is importing more and more from neighbouring countries.

io-power-generation-f5.jpg.aspx

Switching to EVs would only increase that, resulting in higher prices. Generating more would mean burning more fossil fuels, defeating the purpose of the EV switch.

I'm not even going to go into the effects that mining for the metals needed for EVs has on the environment, nor the short life of batteries and resulting e-waste.

Lithium battery fires are pretty much uncontainable. The Tesla emergency response manual basically says to protect anything nearby rather than trying to put out the fire, and that the fire itself can take up to 24 hours to burn out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right now, for condo / apt dwellers, scooters w/removable batteries are the only practical choice for everyday driving.

No problem with charging stations for out & abouts, with just a wee bit of planning.  So cars for homeowners is not an issue.  Sadly no inexpensive, everyday use cars available here such as China.   China's best selling car, about  ฿185k sells here for 2X that.  I'd buy one 185k, but not 370k.  Can get a Suzuki Celerio for less.

The scooter photo I posted, the 1000w motor'd scooters all have removable batteries.  And charge quickly from a standard wall socket. Quite practical, and inexpensive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Right now, for condo / apt dwellers, scooters w/removable batteries are the only practical choice for everyday driving.

No problem with charging stations for out & abouts, with just a wee bit of planning.  So cars for homeowners is not an issue.  Sadly no inexpensive, everyday use cars available here such as China.   China's best selling car, about  ฿185k sells here for 2X that.  I'd buy one 185k, but not 370k.  Can get a Suzuki Celerio for less.

The scooter photo I posted, the 1000w motor'd scooters all have removable batteries.  And charge quickly from a standard wall socket. Quite practical, and inexpensive.

Cheap Chinese low-quality batteries aren't the way to go. All lithium ion batteries are destined to short circuit themselves due to the laws of physics. There are plenty of videos of Chinese-made e-bikes/scooters setting on fire.

Also, let's postulate that 10% of BKK's bikes change to electric. Again, the power-generation problem and the stress that it puts on the grid.

hamleknoi ... Another Anti-China / Anti-EV member.  We get it, been there and heard it all before.  Since most batteries for EV's come out of China, I'd say your quite mistaken.

How many do you own, as the members who do own, seem to enjoy them with no major complaints.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

hamleknoi ... Another Anti-China / Anti-EV member.  We get it, been there and heard it all before.  Since most batteries for EV's come out of China, I'd say your quite mistaken.

How many do you own, as the members who do own, seem to enjoy them with no major complaints.

Tanks for the various bits of info that you have highlit in this thread.

I wouldn't bother yourself with trying to convince the ICers.

What's the point?

They're gone.

It's on it's way and no amount of them shouting at the wind will stop it.

My Dad, 1921-93, was utterly committed to the age of oil and its technological possibilities, but he would have been enthusiastically astounded and delighted to see what has happened over the last 20 years vis a vis motive electro power. Not the least being things like this:

Rolls-Royce says its all-electric aircraft 'is world's fastest ...

Spirit of Innovation all-electric aircraft

Leave 'em behind.

Edited by Enoon

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Will all of them install ghetto blasters to makes some (engine) noise?

SoundRacer has products for that.

Car sounds: Standard 4-cylinder, big diesel truck engine, Shelby Mustang V8, Lamborghini V10, Ferrari V12, Lexus LFA V10.
Motorcycle sounds Suzuki GSX and Classic American V-Twin

20 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Great to see this trial.  Range may be an issue, but swappable batteries could be the answer.

I think electric could work well for the short distance, inner-city shuttle service service of a 'win'.  But think it will be a long time before it's practical in more rural situations.  

It works very well in Taiwan. They use the locally manufactured Gogoro scooter and have many battery swap stations that people can access through a monthly subscription.They use Bosch motors and Panasonic batteries and some of their latest models have a 56mph top speed and 100 mile range. Good under seat storage and very reasonably priced too.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, bkk6060 said:

This place is 10 years behind having any EV infrastructure.

Unfortunately, buying any of these options now seems like a huge hassle and waste.

There are hundreds of EV charging stations in Thailand, more than enough to cope with the current demand.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1