What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

42 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Atlanta is watchable, but one of the best shows in TV history? No.

I think the most amazing thing about it is that it gives the viewer a feeling of profound disorientation which I took as reflecting the black American experience. 

I came to that observation myself but later read similar in multiple reviews.

Reportedly the new season is even more disorienting than before.

I can understand the show isn't to everyone's taste.

I think Donald Glover is a great artist.

Shows like his elevate some television into the realm of high culture.

Outrageously Glover himself has proclaimed Atlanta as the best show since The Sopranos.

Not that he's wrong but most creators leave such evaluations to reviewers.

To note young Malia Obama is on the writing team for this season.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Recognized by whom?

I used to love Hill Street Blues, but I tried to watch a repeat some time ago and wasn't interested.

Many tv series are a product of their times, and only of their times.

Probably most shows and even all to some degree. But there are still timeless classics like The Sopranos.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 7:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Haven't seen it since it came out, but good movie as I remember it. However, if of a melancholy character it may cause sad feelings at the end. Have a box of tissues handy.

It turned out to be too slow for me and the love story didn't do it. Just me though. I do like the old movies from that period. Not sure what film or color technique they used but it just has more too it.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think the most amazing thing about it is that it gives the viewer a feeling of profound disorientation which I took as reflecting the black American experience. 

I came to that observation myself but later read similar in multiple reviews.

Reportedly the new season is even more disorienting than before.

I can understand the show isn't to everyone's taste.

I think Donald Glover is a great artist.

Shows like his elevate some television into the realm of high culture.

Outrageously Glover himself has proclaimed Atlanta as the best show since The Sopranos.

Not that he's wrong but most creators leave such evaluations to reviewers.

To note young Malia Obama is on the writing team for this season.

Never felt disoriented in the slightest, just saw it for what it is, a comedy/drama.

@Jingthing SBS is running Atlanta now .. they decribe it as "Donald Glover’s critically acclaimed dramedy is one of the defining television shows of the last decade"

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2022/03/22/5-reasons-you-should-be-watching-atlanta?dlb=[2022/03/28] del_cp_bau&did=DM11612&cid=od:edm:accuratorspick:relation:atlanta:editorial2:na

SBS also has a new series of Pagan Peak.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Well you missed out on one of the best series ever produced for television, a 9.2 rating on IMDB.  Did you also strike Breaking Bad off your list because it involved the manufacture of methamphetamines?

It's all good entertaining fiction and was rooting for Walter White throughout the series.

Edited by userabcd

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Quote: "Many tv series are a product of their times, and only of their times".

In the main I have to agree with this statement, and I doubt whether I could watch anything again like "Starsky and Hutch", although the occasional old movie strikes a chord.

And on the subject of movies, last night I watched the latest film by Kenneth Branagh, "Death on the Nile" and it was about as enthralling as a plate of cold soup; no suspense, no thrills, no intrigue and nothing to recommend it IMO.

Such a shame as I was looking forward to a good evening's entertainment!

I got about 20 minutes into it before giving it away. Not sure what the dance and music sequences had to do with a murder mystery, just looked like filler to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Disliked The Sopranos and never watched more than part of one episode.

There are many decent shows that don't laud criminals to watch.

The genius of The Soprano's was that it rubbed the audience's nose in their liking and approving of a sociopath bully.

That said, altho I watched it 3 times and come from that part of the world, The Soprano's has a lot of dead weight plot lines, like when Meadow goes to college.

Most episodes could use some serious trimming. Other than the lead and Paulie Walnuts, there's some serious over-acting in that show too.

Edited by LaosLover

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sadly there was no suspense because I've watched the 2 previous versions.

The 2 lead actress and the young black girl were quite pretty.

The scenery and sets were also nice (even though it was all fake).

About time Hercule was played by a non-white, non-male, non-French accented person. Just to make it different from the last ones.

You mean Hercule is not a non binery black actor with a disabilaty ,my god where can i complain ,tik tok>?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, giddyup said:

Well you missed out on one of the best series ever produced for television, a 9.2 rating on IMDB.  Did you also strike Breaking Bad off your list because it involved the manufacture of methamphetamines?

Also disliked Breaking Bad because it wasn't interesting, not because of what it was about. For an example of series I did like

Fargo

The Ship

House

Poirot

Prime Suspect

Cracker

Morse

etc

On 3/28/2022 at 6:17 PM, xylophone said:

Quote: "Many tv series are a product of their times, and only of their times".

In the main I have to agree with this statement, and I doubt whether I could watch anything again like "Starsky and Hutch", although the occasional old movie strikes a chord.

And on the subject of movies, last night I watched the latest film by Kenneth Branagh, "Death on the Nile" and it was about as enthralling as a plate of cold soup; no suspense, no thrills, no intrigue and nothing to recommend it IMO.

Such a shame as I was looking forward to a good evening's entertainment!

Hopefully I'll enjoy Nile more than you as I'm going to see it tonight. The reviews were over 50% positive.

As long as it's no worse than the Orient Express movie I'll be happy.

Having seen the previous movie no suspense, but I'm expecting some good visuals.

There are so few movies out now that I want to watch, anything passable is acceptable.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also disliked Breaking Bad because it wasn't interesting, not because of what it was about. For an example of series I did like

Fargo

The Ship

House

Poirot

Prime Suspect

Cracker

Morse

etc

Breaking Bad wasn't interesting? Well millions would disagree with you. It also received a 9.5 rating on IMDB. Of your list Fargo is the only one that would come even close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hopefully I'll enjoy Nile more than you as I'm going to see it tonight. The reviews were over 50% positive.

As long as it's no worse than the Orient Express movie I'll be happy.

Having seen the previous movie no suspense, but I'm expecting some good visuals.

There are so few movies out now that I want to watch, anything passable is acceptable.

That's 2 hours and 7 minutes of my life I'll never get back. It wasn't a bad film, but having wokeness flaunted at every conceivable opportunity made it the most annoying film I've seen since the Tom Hanks product placing film about a man stuck in an airport.

A completely made up story about inter racial love inserted that added nothing to the movie except minutes, lesbians, a western female hotel porter in a 1930s Egyptian hotel, an armed female military honour guard etc. It was so Americanized that they could have replaced the entire cast with black Americans, except for the already black Americans in the cast.

Oh, and the last scene was preposterous. 

That was the last Branagh movie I'll ever see.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Moonfall. What can I say, dreadful. Managed 15 minutes before turning it off.

I don't know why you don't check the reviews out before you bother.

A 5.3 on IMDB pretty much tells you it's going to be a dud.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I don't know why you don't check the reviews out before you bother.

A 5.3 on IMDB pretty much tells you it's going to be a dud.

Don’t forget Rotten Tomatoes!

38% - Critic score 

70% - Audience score (that’s cinema audience, not home TV audience)

I saw it at the cinema (something to do on a hot day for a whopping 100b) and yes, it was a stupid plot but was fun with good fx - hence the 70% audience score. Probably would score 1% at most from a home TV audience. 

D219EDDD-D312-4D9D-95D1-68A6CAC0F721.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was the last Branagh movie I'll ever see.

Such a pity, rated that guy as a top actor, although I have not seen him act in much since the  Kurt Wallander series.

On the other end of the scale , I watched The Jackass movie, it was so stupid that I had to laugh at some scenes. I wonder if their insured. I wouldn't pay to go see it, but that made 23 Million on opening week-end and the other "Trendy type movies" that came out same time  like"Licorice Pizza" etc failed to even make 1 million but got nominated for an Oscar.  I know which one I would rather have had shares in.

**"Licorice Pizza" It made $142,000 on its first day, $105,000 on its second, and $89,000 on its third for a $335,000 opening weekend and an average of $83,800 per screen.

Jackass Forever opened in first place at the domestic box office this weekend, amassing $23.5 million, according to Variety.