What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

Two Shallow Graves. 2022

7 episodes.

'The McStay family was missing for three years before their remains were discovered in the desert. The prosecution says evidence proves Chase Merritt is the killer, but Merritt insists he is innocent and the facts are being misinterpreted.'

• Thanks 2

Once upon a True Crime.

RAR

Thought episode 1 was good.

Summary: Follow some of Britain's best-selling crime fiction writers as they turn detective to explore the enduring mysteries of the real-life murder cases which have inspired some of their most famous characters and novels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just started watching The Son season 1 (of 2). It's a western drama, telling the story of the rise and fall of a Texas oil empire. Seems pretty good so far to me (apart from Pierce Brosnan's accent). Worth a look IMHO.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3839822/

Yes it was a decent series but only lasted 2 seasons and got cancelled

On 6/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, sanuk711 said:

Thanks Will27 I like John Lithgow's acting--- Haven't seen him in anything since The Perry Mason Series -he has been doing a  lot of Voice acting Simpsons/Shrek etc.

7 episodes--2 out tomorrow then weekly----  & if anyone didn't catch the HBO The Perry Mason Series---its well worth a look...

Series 1 now 7 episodes series 2 out soon--L.A in the 1930s -lawless place.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077823/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

This website shows Season 2 will be out in August.

https://releasedate.me/perry-mason/

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned the movie, "Mystic River" a short while back and although I don't remember a lot about it, I do remember that at the time I felt it had a totally unsatisfactory ending for me, but I thought I would download it again anyway.

I watched it again and then understood why I thought the ending was unsatisfactory, mainly because an innocent man, a friend of the killer, was killed for a murder he didn't commit.

Even worse when the man (Shaun Penn) went back home to Laura Linney, his wife, and his wife was saying that she had told his daughters how big his heart was and that he would do anything for them, which included killing someone, referring to what he had just done, even though it was totally unjustified and a huge mistake.

So again, the ending of the movie was totally unsatisfactory for me and I would put it down as one of those I would never watch again.

The Barking murders is a very good mini series, true story of gay victims and Police incompetence in London a few years ago

Not so good is Becoming Elizabeth about the early years of Elizabeth 1st. Painfully slow with some poor acting it features an African fighting as a knight in Tudor England in the 15th c. We know Henry V111 had a black trumpeter- he must have been promoted! 

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Yer --not seen it yet  , but in the comments a lot of people upset about them using up-to-date  Grammar in the narrative, & as you say---a very slow burner.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Any Sci-Fi nuts watched The Lazarus Project yet ?--I haven't had time-- 

(Sky-UK-TV)  Mixed write  ups on it --8 episodes 1 out now.

....Is a top secret organization dedicated to preventing mass extinction events and with the ability to make time go backwards.

From listening to recreated Elizabeth I speeches, it would seem most of the language (Early Modern English) in those days would be similar to that of Shakespeare.

Though I enjoyed Shakespeare at school, I would suggest watching Elizabeth 1 with original dialogue would be tedious and boring and appealing to only a very small demographic.

Thanks for suggesting Lazarus Project it looks good. It only has a IMDb Rating of 6.5 which usually means nothing for sci fi.

Lucy (2014) with Scarlett Johansson comes to mind, it only had a 6.5 but turned out to be a favorite classic.

• Like 2

Britain's Got Talent. 

Finale happened.

Yes I watch both America's Got Talent (early in the season) and Britain's Got Talent.

You get Simon Cowell with both.

Without doing a spoiler, I really don't feel the best act won!

It really was a very wide open finale this time. Usually you know who is going to win or at least one of two. This time the majority of the acts could have won. 

I just did a quick google and it turns out I'm not the only one who is very unhappy with the winner. Quite a controversy.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Skipped Billy the Kid for now, started on Peaky blinders season 6, wow, that is the best opening of season ever. Dark, deadly, intense, perfect scenes, music everything to catch the viewers from first second.

I must say, the cinematic is perfect, and have kept the dark intense feeling from the very beginning. Raw cynical and violent

Interrogation Raw

RAR

Summary: Criminal cases can be won or lost in the interrogation room. Success can bring justice for the victims; failure can lead to the guilty person walking free. “Interrogation Raw” is an all-new true crime series that explores the delicate twists and turns of some of the most fascinating interrogations ever done. Each episode will reveal every tactic, every make-or-break moment that occurs within those four walls.

• Thanks 2

The Martha Mitchell Effect---NetFlix...Doco 40 Min....TPB...released yesterday

If you dont want to sit through the 8 episodes of Gaslit (which is really good acting IMO)  then Netflix has brought out a 40 Min  Doco to cover the event on the 50 year anniversary.

"She was once as famous as Jackie O. And then she tried to take down a President. THE MARTHA MITCHELL EFFECT is an archival documentary portrait of the unlikeliest of whistleblowers: Martha Mitchell, a Republican cabinet wife who was gaslighted by the Nixon Administration to keep her quiet. It offers a female gaze on Watergate through the voice of the woman herself."

Edited by sanuk711
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

From listening to recreated Elizabeth I speeches, it would seem most of the language (Early Modern English) in those days would be similar to that of Shakespeare.

Though I enjoyed Shakespeare at school, I would suggest watching Elizabeth 1 with original dialogue would be tedious and boring and appealing to only a very small demographic.

Thanks for suggesting Lazarus Project it looks good. It only has a IMDb Rating of 6.5 which usually means nothing for sci fi.

Lucy (2014) with Scarlett Johansson comes to mind, it only had a 6.5 but turned out to be a favorite classic.

I noticed the word 'inappropriate' used in Elizabeth a word not invented for another 400 years. While you don't expect the language of Shakespeare such modern language makes the dialogue look ridiculous. 

The lazarus  project should have been called the Diversity project!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, proton said:

I noticed the word 'inappropriate' used in Elizabeth a word not invented for another 400 years. While you don't expect the language of Shakespeare such modern language makes the dialogue look ridiculous. 

Yes i tried to watch this,but not only the dialogue was bad the acting is terrible, i mean awful 

• Like 1

Just now, sanuk711 said:

So is that a + or a -  proton, I haven't got round to watching yet--

Negative for me, I like sci fi but seems to be difficult to make original material with engaging characters, as with horror films most of the output is mediocre at best.

4 hours ago, proton said:

I agree, inaccuracy in movie dialogue can sometimes look ridiculous as can inaccuracy in facts in public discussion.

The scene in question is after Henry's death in 1547 and "inappropriate" originated in 1791 not 1947.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/inappropriate#:~:text=inappropriate (adj.),%2B appropriate (adj.).

54 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I agree, inaccuracy in movie dialogue can sometimes look ridiculous as can inaccuracy in facts in public discussion.

The scene in question is after Henry's death in 1547 and "inappropriate" originated in 1791 not 1947.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/inappropriate#:~:text=inappropriate (adj.),%2B appropriate (adj.).

1804 was what comes up here

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inappropriate

I wonder when the word pedantic was first used ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

Interrogation Raw

RAR

Summary: Criminal cases can be won or lost in the interrogation room. Success can bring justice for the victims; failure can lead to the guilty person walking free. “Interrogation Raw” is an all-new true crime series that explores the delicate twists and turns of some of the most fascinating interrogations ever done. Each episode will reveal every tactic, every make-or-break moment that occurs within those four walls.