What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Another new one on Netflix is Wednesday...

"Background" TV for me but the GF is loving it, in fact I can't get the main TV back until she's finished it!

What is the film's name?

Edited by JimmyJ

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

Same here with Apocalypse Now, Law Abiding Citizen, Tombstone, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Castaway, The Enigma Machine, Young Guns, The Bourne Trilogy, Shooter, V for Vendetta, The Big Short, Live by Night..........to name but a few................!!

PS. Forgot to mention, Bottle Shock and Jeremiah Johnson!

If you are into Apocalypse Now you should keep an eye out for The Making of Apocalypse Now by Elenore? Ford Coppola (Francis' Wife).   It is amazing what they had to go through to make that movie which nearly killed Francis and sent Martin Sheen into a nervous breakdown.   The scene where Sheen is in the hotel room attacking the mirror is actual footage of his breakdown where they kept the cameras rolling.  

I saw it many years ago and have never seen it since so it may be hard to procure.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:59 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Lawrence Of Arabia is one of my all time favourites.  I'm one of these queer folk who can watch a movie many times over the years and enjoy it every time.  Among them is the two Zulu movies, Moby Dick, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, and the Australian (and NZ) TV series Underbelly.  All excellent stuff.

I watched Dr. Zhivago again not too long ago.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:57 PM, KannikaP said:

Struggled through 20 minutes of Ep 1, then it was OFF !

I also liked it very much. Based on a true story, it doesn't really aim at being realistic. All of the Indians speak perfect English, for example.  But despite the mannered presentation, I found it quite an emotional experience. And I think I'm in love with Emily Blunt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I also liked it very much. Based on a true story, it doesn't really aim at being realistic. All of the Indians speak perfect English, for example.  But despite the mannered presentation, I found it quite an emotional experience. And I think I'm in love with Emily Blunt.

I DID NOT like it, true story or not. But I liked The Lone Ranger even though Tonto spoke English (American)

On 11/24/2022 at 9:24 PM, ThaiFelix said:

If you are into Apocalypse Now you should keep an eye out for The Making of Apocalypse Now by Elenore? Ford Coppola (Francis' Wife).   It is amazing what they had to go through to make that movie which nearly killed Francis and sent Martin Sheen into a nervous breakdown.   The scene where Sheen is in the hotel room attacking the mirror is actual footage of his breakdown where they kept the cameras rolling.  

I saw it many years ago and have never seen it since so it may be hard to procure.

Many thanks for the tip ThaiFelix, and I did manage to find it; "Hearts of Darkness: A Film Makers Apocalypse" (eventually) and watched it, and it was both informative and intriguing and as I've always suspected, it was an allegory, not only about the Vietnam War, but also about America itself.

The candid confessions of the actors in the film were indeed eye-openers, and I was extremely surprised when Dennis Hopper (in this documentary) was just as "scatty/spaced out" in the real life scenes as he was in the movie!

It remains one of my most favourite movies and I don't know that I've ever seen one to match it. 

For those who may want to watch it, I think I have found the link and it is as follows: 

https://harateness.monster/movies/play/0102015-hearts-of-darkness-a-filmmakers-apocalypse-1991?mid=17&sid=e31nqfg5mbeuka1rd8cb87o1h4&sec=359bcefd2d3a5a6a86f0e28b245b47fed685e597&t=1669449583

Edited by xylophone
  • Love It 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jai Dee said:

I am really enjoying this series... brilliant cinematography, an awesome soundtrack, and a great story... watch and enjoy!

Somebody tell me how the convoy was out of fuel in the middle of the desert, having fuelled for 500km instead of 500 miles...and the next scene the 'hero' is in a bar in Cairo. 

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Somebody tell me how the convoy was out of fuel in the middle of the desert, having fuelled for 500km instead of 500 miles...and the next scene the 'hero' is in a bar in Cairo. 

Fuel dumps?

I have downloaded and watched three movies over the last few days and here is my opinion of them: –

Triangle of Sadness: billed as a comedy and running at over two and a half hours long, I found it very tedious, and nothing whatsoever to laugh at/about. It's completely about satire and how the rich and famous live, and how the others don't, and it didn't raise one laugh with me! Quite probably because my sense of humour stretches back to the likes of "Fawlty Towers", "Only Fools and Horses" and similar series, as well as a few of the "Pink Panther" movies, but this didn't even raise a smile. In fact I switched it off after about 45 minutes as it had nothing on which to engage me.

Trauma: this is the movie from a few years back, starring Colin Firth and is billed as a psychological thriller and it worked on one level, however there were too many unanswered questions towards the end of it, although one key aspect of it was laid bare, but still quite a few questions unanswered.

Surge: starring the excellent Ben Wishaw (Hugh Grant's gay lover in the Jeremy Thorpe scandal) and without giving too much away it goes into this person's mental unravelling in his job and everyday interaction with people. It seems to be filmed with (in part) a handheld camera and although that helps portray the pressure on him, it also (for me anyway) wound me up to a point where I wasn't enjoying the movie any more, so off it went.

Not a very satisfactory few days viewing, and the tip from ThaiFelix regarding the making of "Apocalypse Now" was the best thing I've seen for a long time.

• Thanks 1

Candy ( 2022 ) tv series 5 episodes.

True story of Candy Montgomery, quiet mother and churchgoer accused of killing her good friend in 1980’s Texas .Did she snap, was it self defence or is she innocent ?

Jessica Biel stars as Candy.

Liked this, had a bit of a Fargo feel to it, slow paced but keeps you interested.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13729648/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Just watched a western from the 50's. Stage coach cut adrift on a ferry. Next scene it is arriving back in town.

• Love It 1