Hypothetically speaking…

You live in Chiang Mai. You have about 1.8m to invest in a small buy-to-let condo. What would be your choice of city in which to invest? You might also be considering Airbnb if you can’t find suitable long-term tenant. Would that affect your choice of location? 
You would need to bear in mind transport costs if not in Chiang Mai. 

17 minutes ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

You live in Chiang Mai. You have about 1.8m to invest

I had (industrial) rental property in Oz at one point--I think the golden rule should be---Buy near where you live.  Friends who had leased out property a considerable distance away from their residence were being change for silly things (even replacing light bulbs) over the top cleaning prices, and some bond given back when all of it shouldn't have been---

There are much better investments than leasing a condo out to Farang party goers IMO.

I think people who come to live here (and some Thai locals) Think the money is with the Frangs--- IMO-its not , its with the Thai's

Anyway good luck --with your investment, I haven't been up to C.M for about 4 years , must get back for a visit.

• Like 1

Check the market for A. what can you buy for that money, B. how many potential renters are looking for such property and how many of them available to rent and C. what the return on the investment after you have taken everything into account.. Have fun...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

A pal of mine did this.

Purchased 3 condos, hasn't managed to rent any of them once in 8 years.

I'm curious where he bought these 3 condos.  Things are bad now but, pre-covid, it was very easy to rent condos in Pattaya.  My partner and I had no trouble renting seaview condos we owned at Centric Sea, The Base, Lumpini Park Beach, and View Talay 5C.  

All depends how old the OP is, and why to invest.  If 65, and expect to live till 80, just spend an extra 10k on what makes you smile every month.  And with no interest, the 1.8m will last you 15 yrs.

Or park it in a nice, safe 5-8-10% return, and play with that every month, after the 1st year.  Can't take it with you, spend it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Haven't peeked in 20 yrs, but surely there's places to put money that give 8-10% returns yearly, some even paying dividends.   Someones posted something a while ago "Dividend Aristocrats" funds paying dividends every year, in fact, increased every year.

It's not rocket science ... that took less than 5 minutes to find.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tfn/ticker.html?ticker=NEE

hahah.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

Such as..?

This is pretty good advice from thingamabob.. if done properly... as to the investing - I would suggest investing gradually... and diversifying

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Strongly advise against. Stock market a better bet or, on a lighter note, buy a nice car. You'd lose money but at least you'd get some use out of it.

Not sure how old you are, but look up compounding... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You would be breaking the law 

He wouldn't be breaking the law if he leased his airbnb for greater than 30 days minimum or if he purchased an apartment within and included in a licensed condotel buildings allotment of apartments. The law states that non licensed buildings cannot lease for less than 30 days.

At 1.8m he is looking at the budget end of the market so some of the older condotels might suit him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

if you are a US resident, the US Treasury is offering 7.5% on a savings bond for individuals

Good example, also interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to me as non US citizen.

Also, I understand that there is limitations, eg. Series I bond can only be bought up to US$5,000?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't peeked in 20 yrs, but surely there's places to put money that give 8-10% returns yearly, some even paying dividends.   Someones posted something a while ago "Dividend Aristocrats" funds paying dividends every year, in fact, increased every year.

It's not rocket science ... that took less than 5 minutes to find.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tfn/ticker.html?ticker=NEE

hahah.png

Stocks are a lot of things, but I would not consider them a safe investment.

If you only make 10% on a hand-picked stock though, then better index the S&P.

7 hours ago, fabruer said:

Good example, also interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to me as non US citizen.

Also, I understand that there is limitations, eg. Series I bond can only be bought up to US$5,000?

some US Reits are paying 7% annually in dividends, sometimes 10%, and some Mortgage REITs can go as high as 25% but they are highly volatile, so not really safe

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, sanuk711 said:

I had (industrial) rental property in Oz at one point--I think the golden rule should be---Buy near where you live.  Friends who had leased out property a considerable distance away from their residence were being change for silly things (even replacing light bulbs) over the top cleaning prices, and some bond given back when all of it shouldn't have been---

There are much better investments than leasing a condo out to Farang party goers IMO.

I think people who come to live here (and some Thai locals) Think the money is with the Frangs--- IMO-its not , its with the Thai's

Anyway good luck --with your investment, I haven't been up to C.M for about 4 years , must get back for a visit.

Don't bother...lol

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, malathione said:

Not sure you'll get a place that anyone wants to rent for that budget. In any case, returns are too low for rentals in Thailand, IMHO, to make it worthwhile being given that most condos are actually losing their value over time.

Not in the Thai proce range.