'You joking?': UK woman's Thailand holiday turns to quarantine horror

webfact

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ms Meeke, who documents her travels on Instagram and TikTok, has been detailing her hotel stay, admitting she's not sure how much their quarantine will cost. 

Well, love, it's going to be a lot more expensive if you say anything bad about the hotel on your social media. May find the hotel bill and quarantine is the least of your problems

You should have seen Embassy and got on next flight home to U.K. …. Chances are that 2 star hotel your in with all that Kow Pat Guy you are woofing down will be charged at 5 star prices 5555555555

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The problem is many people define something they can't afford as a ripp off! Or the tradition of buying a lady drink as a ripp off. Or 70 baht for a beer as a ripp off lol.. Or using an agent..

Double pricing on Parks = ripoff.

Lady drink (if I get to feel her up) = bargain (or should that be bargirl).

70bht for a small beer surrounded by naked ladies = bargain.

Stopped by police and asked for 200bht = ripoff if I'm legal, bargain if no helmet or drunk.

Insurance that doesn't pay = ripoff.

Not used an agent, so can't really say.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think the Thai's could help by making it super clear what the rules are. I have a booking in February for Phuket made optimistically in November. Though it was a cheapie they are letting me change it to a later date which is nice. Thanks Jetstar. 

I would not be in a hurry to thank them for anything, they will most probably cancel your next flight.

Ms Meeke has a point, why should she research a country to travel to, it should all be documented in the procedures to enter, but they have left that part out, imagine if they were upfront about incarcerating your butt if you test positive, then no one at all would come.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t see how this pans out. She had to have a pre departure negative test. On arrival she would’ve been guided through the process of having documents checked. There are plenty of English speaking staff doing this. Then she would pass through immigration, collect her bags and exit through customs to where hotel reps are waiting. Hotel transportation would stop en route at a hospital to do a PCR and then on to the hotel. Some people get tested at their hotel instead.

That was my Test n Go experience on the same day she arrived.

I don’t believe her claim, because it doesn’t seem possible 

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Most countries  have similar  rules or had similar or even worse rules! Australia  and New Zealand  actually banned travellers...even their own citizens!! The UK and Europe  also have rules regarding testing and quarantine  protocols

Europe is super relaxed regarding protocols, there is no control of any kinds, even for travelers. Officials don't have time to waste on implementing ridiculous rules. As long as you are tested and vaccinated, the control stops there. You can travel with all your documents and you are pretty much free doing what you want.

Regarding NZ and Australia, they are under the illusion they can beat that thing, but again they are islanders so to be expected ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

17 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Ms Meeke has a point, why should she research a country to travel to, it should all be documented in the procedures to enter, but they have left that part out, imagine if they were upfront about incarcerating your butt if you test positive, then no one at all would come.

Perhaps  she's illiterate  and can't read. I have been to about 50 countries and read about them in depth beforehand. I have never heard of anybody flying  blind into a country thousands of miles away. To do so in normal times is adventurously stupid but in current covid times just dangerously  ignorant.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

Europe is super relaxed regarding protocols, there is no control of any kinds, even for travelers. Officials don't have time to waste on implementing ridiculous rules. As long as you are tested and vaccinated, the control stops there. You can travel with all your documents and you are pretty much free doing what you want.

Regarding NZ and Australia, they are under the illusion they can beat that thing, but again they are islanders so to be expected ????

Yes you have to be tested and vaccinated which is a protocol of sorts but importantly are being disingenuous by omitting the rules and regulations  imposed in France, Germany, Austria  and Holland etc etc on foreigners, travellers and locals  alike with massive restrictions curbs of freedoms. Europe  is back under the lash again

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You spend too much time looking at other men.

The only thing in a bar I see is the girl sitting with me.

But back to the thread topic.

If someone pays to go on holiday, they should get that holiday or their money back.

They are difficult  to ignore with their loud foul mouthed presence. The raucous uglies are not discreet but loud, unaware and unselfconscious But ugliness  can be fascinating in a Diane  Arbus way!

The idea of holiday  includes travel. The origin of which is 'travail'

Nobody can guarantee you have a great time  on holiday.

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

Britain is an Island, but it's still been almost overwhelmed with infections.

13 hours ago, Jeff Olssson said:

It is really saddening to read these stories again and again. The other day was a Norwegian family which had ended up in quarantine hospital because a family member had tested positive for Covid-19.

Imagine being in their place and all the hopes of being in a nice and relaxing holidays turns into a nightmare of quarantine and isolation in a second when your test shows positive. It is not really worth all the risks of traveling at this point of time IMHO and I don’t think most people are aware of those risks.  

I think the message could be getting through when you look at the "flip flopped" estimated predictions of future tourist arrivals in Thailand! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It's not so small.

Usually takes to 2-3 days after infection until a PCR test shows positive. So If you catch it short time before test1 test2 might be positive.

The other point is, that different laboratories use different limiting values (Ct). So one can claim you're negative while the other one might show positive.

And I understand there's no international standard on Ct and that it's never disclosed.

13 hours ago, Straight8 said:

The "horror" part I guess is how much extra its going to cost these numpties.

2 ways to learn, the easy way or the hard way. Take your pick!!

It probably won't cost her anything, I'm sure she will be begging her gullible followers to foot the bill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Double pricing on Parks = ripoff.

Lady drink (if I get to feel her up) = bargain (or should that be bargirl).

70bht for a small beer surrounded by naked ladies = bargain.

Stopped by police and asked for 200bht = ripoff if I'm legal, bargain if no helmet or drunk.

Insurance that doesn't pay = ripoff.

Not used an agent, so can't really say.

The neurotic obsession with double pricing at parks in my opinion possibly  unfair but is massively offset by all the free festivals and entertainment that Thailand  offers.

People who come to Thailand  and do basic research  about camping in parks presumably  make a choice and budget for it. Being ripped off is paying for tickets  for a park that does  not exist.

I never regard  the it as double pricing but as a discount for locals which is commendable and should be adopted in other countries.

Insurance  that fails to be in any country is a ripp off but its hardly a exclusively  a Thai issue.

Basically  only whingers moan about ripp offs and people who are inexcusably poor.  Usually  miserable and depressing  to be around lol

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You really think it sounds suspicious to test positive after travelling from a country which...

- On average has 192,000 new Covid-19 cases each day. 

- Where there are currently 2.8 million active infections.

- Where the ‘positive tester’ has passed through a major international airport.

Nothing suspicious about that at all - It would be highlights suspicious if no one was testing positive upon arrival. 

Of course, that wouldn’t play into your ’Thailand bad - Thailand rip-off’ narrative which you seem to want to allude to. 

Answer the question?

Negative test to get on the plane. As with ALL the other passengers.

Fly a few hours to Thailand and test positive.

Magically the quarantine hotel cures you and you get a positive test after doing nothing for 7 to 10 days.

Those ASQ rooms must have some real mojo in them to cure a positive test