Thai police in massive debt - they owe 270 billion baht

webfact

8 hours ago, IraqRon said:

Get ready for rogue police to extort money from Retirement/ Married visa holders as they are aware of the vast sums of money those visa holders have in their bank accounts , at least most of them who jumped thru all the hoops for their visa.

The cops will know all the necessary info to find the visa holders and where the money is.

Please, please get back onto your medications. Your paranoia is something that needs to be brought back under control. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Actually, paying them a decent salary might attract a better standard of recruit. 

Add to that the fact that they have to pay for their own uniform, motor bike, and gun, it is little wonder that a lot of them get into debt. Probably the ones that don't are the ones that supplement their income by "scams"!

Paying more doesn't work when the education system is so poor and corruption is so pervasive. The quality simply isn't there and the temptation for graft too great.

Not only that, but the RTP are not the same as Police in the West, here they were thugs employed to protect the rich merchant classes, so modern Policing is almost an alien concept for them, indeed, for most it is an anathema.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Suwat told Daily News of his plans to refinance debt for 97% of the loans that are ongoing. 

Two per cent have said they can't meet interest rates of 7-8% and 1% of the policemen who have taken out loans are being prosecuted for non-payment. 

He admitted that in Loei in the north east police there owe 700 million baht.

Suwat's bright or "ping idea" now, said the media, is to ask the government to set up some low interest deals to help the cops who are in debt.  

So the Stupid cops got themselves into the same boat as a lot of other Thais and this Stupid lot wants the Govment to Bail them out with Refinance loans with a Low interest.  Let them fix their own self inflicted problem .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I'e already done that, when I got nicked, 1000B thankyou.

You're a good man Sir, I knew that I could count on support. I too contributed ThB 1000 for following a traffic officers direction. He would have given me change but was called away urgently on his motorcycle......????

• Haha 2

No sympathy there !    If they only got their house in order in conjunction with the government , just think how much they would earn from installing speed cameras and prosecuting offenders .   All sorts of activities detrimental to public / environmental safety that could be levied with fines .   The list is endless.  

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I understand, and have had it described to me, as a system very similar to "prize money" in the Navy during the times of the Napoleonic wars.

If a ship was captured it was sold, at auction, along with it's cargo, as a prize. The money was divided, 10% to the Admiral commanding, 30% to the Captain of the capturing ship, 30% amongst the officers, and the rest shared out amongst the crew.

Apparently the police here operate a similar system with their various "informal income streams" - the role of the Admiral being filled by Provincial and Regional offices, the Captain, officers and crew being the Police Station.

All properly codified of course, and no doubt internally audited, if not (obviously) published!

The reason that the "inactive post" is a punishment is that it removes one from the distribution network.

The network of "income streams" is very comprehensive. Any street based business- food stall or peddler selling on or onto the pavement, and any business in any way connected with "entertainment" and/or which requires licencing will be subject to a levy. It amounts to - very - big money, especially in a holiday resort such as Pattaya. Up country perhaps less lucrative, which is why it costs a lot more to land the OC's job in for example Jomtien than in "Nakon Nowhere". Either way it is a good earner, and much of the senior management's time and energy is devoted to developing and supervising these "income streams".

So the answer would be to end corruption, introduce proper taxation then increase wages?

Is it just my abhorrent cynicism rearing its ugly head or does the guy in the photo look shifty as all get out or what?!! ???? Oh well back to the end of month police check-stops and post tollway pullovers with a vengeance me thinks.

11 hours ago, Denim said:

It means individual police officers , using their position as government employees , have taken out private loans to buy cars and homes etc but are struggling to make repayments having bitten off more than they can chew.

not the police force as such.

Finally someone with some actual comprehension skills. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

No surprise here.   I'm sure many HISO interested in reading the benifits like they did with the teachers.  Loans so high compared to income that the final repayment won't occur until the teacher is 85 or dead and the required expensive life insurance policy pays off the  loan.   Loan in payments more than 50% of salary so the loan payment is greater than retirement income. I'm sure the same loan troubles are with immigration employees.   

Silly geese.  Fiat money is issued by the government.  The government can simply forgive this debt easily by printing money.  If you are concerned about inflation, then raise taxes on giant corporations, especially multinational ones, and on billionaires.  No poor people need be hurt.  ????  Police saved!

4 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

the ability of covid to strike down all and sundry is now patently clear for all to see.it also answers another question...,there is justice where we all thought none existed,in a  thai police staton ha ha h a ha

CoVid has done nothing.  All these things are happening because of human decisions in response to it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Partly the governments fault, again, for allowing such a bloated an ineffective arm to be allowed to operate businesses.

Government owned banks only too willing to give out loans to any government employee because they very rarely lose their jobs but get moved to non operational posts.

And only 1% being prosecuted just shows up the sad state of financial institutions here, any ordinary citizen would be pursued relentlessly and have their assets seized.

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why not just use a debit card then? 

If no work permit then I am surprised a bank would even consider giving a credit card to a customer.

When you are booking things like a hire car you need a credit card. My bank Krungsri wouldn't give me a credit card even if i put down a deposit equal to the limit.

The young lady next door to us is dating a local cop. The guy shows up with at least 4 different vehicles on any particular day. He has 2 Isuzu trucks, a little sporty something or other and a big Mercedes with custom wheels that likely cost more than my Suzuki Swift. I feel zero empathy towards these guys

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1