Thai hotel threatens customer with ฿3m lawsuit over bad review

webfact

3 minutes ago, englishinsiam said:

We found that hotel excellent and couldn't believe some of the comments from the reviewer. 

We think there was more to that story all along.  

there usually is and usually from people who do not get things their way, irrespective if their behavior or demands were reasonable or not ????

• Sad 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:49 PM, mtls2005 said:

Except.

However.

The thai constitution du jour is littered with rights, rights which are severely limited, and subject to the interpretation of a regime and it's puppet constitutional court.

In essence citizens have whatever "rights" the regime decides it has on any given day.

There is no freedom of speech if the regime deems that speech a threat to the status quo.

But that's not what this kerfuffle is about. This is about the foundation of the thai social contract, which conveys more equality to those higher up the pyramid.

Sure, it looks more limited than first Amendment of the American Constitution. However, I don't know how the governement would interfere with an hotel review lawsuit. I think they have bigger things to take care.

2 hours ago, LennyW said:

Whats the point of having a review facility on booking platforms if you are not allowed to point out the failings, the hotels should learn from it and improve?

I thought the hotels only kept the good reviews and threw out the bad ones, somebody goofed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vaerehsu said:

Sure, it looks more limited than first Amendment of the American Constitution. However, I don't know how the governement would interfere with an hotel review lawsuit. I think they have bigger things to take care.

2 minutes ago, vaerehsu said:

But that's not what this kerfuffle is about.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The review, in which the customer complained that the stay was overpriced for the experience, has already been removed from the website. The lawyer said his client had not deleted it and questioned whether the hotel had contacted the website to have it removed.

Even the ratings website can not be named out of fear of a lawsuit. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

I would have given them a 1 out of 10. You can give an honest review, but just be careful how you word it.

You can write about how you feel and what you received and what you expected and didn't receive, talk about yourself. You can say things like "the hotel did not meet my expectations", or " I will certainly never return to this hotel". About food say "in my opinion, the food was not delicious" or "the food portion was too small and did not contain enough meat for me". Don't say "there wasn't enough food".

You just have to be able to prove, in a court of law, what you have written. Nobody can dispute what you felt.

You can't say the staff are "X", or the hotel is "_hit".

Very good advice indeed for would be reviewers in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, BestB said:

This story stinks of bs from start to finish.

1. She questioned if travel site revealed her identity to a hotel

Is she a complete idiot? of course hotel knows who left a review and for which reservation.

Did she think it was ok to write bad review if hotel did not know? if she knew hotel would know she would not have written it?

2. Review has been removed and she does not know by whom, and questioning if hotel had it removed

Once again, is she an idiot? who else would be able to remove it?

In addition reviews are never removed on request of hotel, but removed because it breaches some guidelines or hotel can prove review is not honest

Seeing as review was removed, i am certain hotel had proof her review was dishonest

3. Hotel made very high demands, seriously very very high demands, which suggests her review was an outright lie and hotel has the proof to show it, fact that site also removed it, also indicates same 

Do you think the 28 sq. m. room is worth 3000 baht per night. 

The lawyer stated that his client did not remove the review. Even if she did, does that mean she is guilty of lying or just afraid?

Is it a lie to opine that it is expensive?

Do you think the room did look exactly like the picture? ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the writer of the reviewer should threaten a 3 billion baht lawsuit for harassment also.

They should definitely counter threat the hotel on the basis that any impending lawsuit intimates that their opinion is not valid and thus denigrates their good character. Defamation 101. It’d help if they had a friend in a high place like a judge. ????

• Like 1

Very surprised the OTA removed the review. They will generally only do this if there are blatant lies or if the review is obviously inaccurate, i.e. a client accidentally reviewed the wrong hotel (yes, that does happen!).

I would guess the OTA was also threatened with a lawsuit.

• Like 1