They said I cannot use COVID extensions anymore. How to prolong my stay?

Hi everyone.

I arrived in Thailand on late August 2021 through the sandbox program and visa exemption.

After that, I got a 60 days standard tourist visa followed by 2 covid extensions.

Last time they told me I cannot apply for that anymore and I have to leave the country in March.

I read about many people keep going with the covid extensions for more than a year, so i don't really understand.

My plan is to stay until May, so ideally I'd need two months more.

Not sure what to do.

I'm relatively close to Laos and before Covid it was easy due to the border run stuff.

Not even sure if it's still a thing? Couldn't find updated info.

Any suggestion on how to get those 2 extra months?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office refused your covid extension. You mean that when you obtained your previous covid extension they told you this was your last. 

Ignore that go and apply for another. The covid extension will be available after Jan 25 imo.

How did you obtain tourist visa after entry to Thailand? Not possible. 

Yeah, i think they're going to renew on Jan 25 as well.

So, after my 45 days visa exemption expired I went there and asked for the covid extension.

But they didn't let me do that.

They asked a bunch of docs, mainly regarding where i'd been living and stamped 30 days.

I thought it was the tourist visa, not sure. It wasn't the covid extension though.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That statement was made due to the current order for the 60 day covid 19 extensions ends on the 25th of this month.

If extended again you could apply in March again.

I hope, but i'm not sure.

My first covid extension happened right before they prolonged the Covid 19 extensions, but back then they told me nothing.

They know me now, perhaps I'll try in another city.

Btw, if anyone can share other ways, so if the worst case scenario I'll move more cards in my hand.

3 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I always said that this covid extensions wouldn't be forever

Been waiting 1.5 year to post that "forecast"? Good on you sir.

Let me throw in my forecast too: Covid extensions will continue until further notice 

• Like 2

Kalisin told me last week that they couldn't guarantee the the covid extensions would continue as they don't know themselves.  I've never had any problems there and always in and out within 20 minutes without the under consideration stamp hassle, as the passport is handed over straight away to the chief and she signs it off immediately.  The only thing they were urging was to convert a long stay visa if I could qualify.  I can't qualify because I'm not old enough and I'm not wishing my life away to get one and I don't want to get married either.  

Personally, I can't see these covid extensions stopping until the land borders reopen. These extensions are reviewed on a case by case basis. If somebody arrives on a one month return ticket and the airline is still operating that return leg on that date, I'd say no comment. 

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

In Bangkok I successfully got a 60-day stamp to 25-Mar. They remember my face by now(I've been here since pandemic began).  I was verbally told that this is the LAST extension.

They have said this is the LAST ONE a few times before when I extended. Each time I still got the stamp approved. Then shortly afterwards govt announced that covid extension program was extended. So I kept returning.

Something different from the previous times is that the lady threatened that if she sees me in March, I will only be given 7 days, not 60. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe this time they really mean it?

Should I apply in a different office when March comes?

What a life u have..im shocked.Depending on extension.Dont u think they have ur record in another immigration????What the lady have said to u about 7 days is in ur record for sure.GOOD LUCK.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Something different from the previous times is that the lady threatened that if she sees me in March, I will only be given 7 days, not 60. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe this time they really mean it?

She is threatening to deny your extension (at which point you get seven days to leave the country).

3 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Should I apply in a different office when March comes?

I would suggest that you do. If she followed her threat, and stamped you denied, it would become difficult to stay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

She is threatening to deny your extension (at which point you get seven days to leave the country).

I would suggest that you do. If she followed her threat, and stamped you denied, it would become difficult to stay.

Thanks @BritTim.   I know of one other person in the forum who received the same threat by the same IO in Bangkok(MTT).  Well, I guess if they don't extend the program on 25-Jan it's a moot point anyway since us who were here on these extensions will have to find some other alternatives.

Edited by audaciousnomad

46 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Thanks @BritTim.   I know of one other person in the forum who received the same threat by the same IO in Bangkok(MTT).  Well, I guess if they don't extend the program on 25-Jan it's a moot point anyway since us who were here on these extensions will have to find some other alternatives.

Not sure what I'll do if they continue the extensions.  Might use an agent to do it next time just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, anymajordude said:

Not sure what I'll do if they continue the extensions.  Might use an agent to do it next time just to be on the safe side.

Same. Or I might go to another province. But if the covid program truly ends on 25Jan...then we'll have to find some other visa or leave.

• Like 1

Sounds like CW in BKK is becoming difficult to get the COVID extensions. 

Are there any places that are known as being easier?   What "residence" duration is needed to get the extension in a new area?  Just a quick TM30 register from any hotel?

I am due to get the COVID extension and am flexible in my travel plans. 

Seems it might be easier for people to take a little holiday to a more friendly immigration office than mess with BKK.  I had my 30 day extension done in Kanchanaburi, which was a nice place to spend a few days and the Immigration office there was not crowded, staffed by some young maybe-english-students that sort of shuffled the process along, and quite easy.  If you only need a few nights hotel there to get the extension, it might be worth leaving town. 

If you are in Thailand on a tourist entry, there is no problem applying for an extension anywhere. If you are on a Non Immigrant entry, Immigration expects you to have a fixed address. They will take a lot of convincing that you just moved house the previous day.