Disgruntled Thai man takes revenge - four shot dead in horrific spree

webfact

4 hours ago, Paulaew said:

A pretty shocking event, especially for those of us who live in the quiet town of Chanthaburi.

We are accustomed to the occasional murder of a gem dealer for an unpaid debt, but this crazy guy went out and settled all his old scores in one day. Then he went to a bar and had a couple of much needed drinks.

I can only be thankful that it wasn't one of those American-style shooting sprees with random people as targets.

Paul Laew

I suspect he'd had a few drinks before as well ...

41 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

In general "Americans" drive very well compared to Thais!

How can that be so? They are always on the wrong side of the road.

42 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

the police are not as corrupt and actually do their job!

Up to a point yes, but they are becoming like an overpaid commando unit.

Thai police do a good job if you can raise the necessary funds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dddave said:

My view of Thailand was totally reshaped from watching the nightly news on channels 34 & 36.  They seem to always go with the stories with video back-up and there is no shortage of content.   Every evening there are clips of live shootings, often several on a single broadcast and always looped over and over lest viewers miss any detail.

Yeah, but it’s totally misrepresentative! If you only go by what you see on the news you must think Thailand is murder country number one, but in reality it’s only ranked 35th out of 47 (see photo below). In 2017 “only” just under 1800 people got killed. That’s roughly 2.6 people out of a 100000. It used to be 5500 a year on average in the 90s.

There’s a larger list online:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

with 117 countries on it and on that list Thailand is ranked 78th. Overall, it’s not that bad, especially when you compare it to the America where you have countries with 52 murders per 100000. 

EEEA2AC4-111D-4876-BF3D-BA065849EF49.jpeg

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Yeah, but it’s totally misrepresentative! If you only go by what you see on the news you must think Thailand is murder country number one, but in reality it’s only ranked 35th out of 47 (see photo below). In 2017 “only” just under 1800 people got killed. That’s roughly 2.6 people out of a 100000. It used to be 5500 a year on average in the 90s.

There’s a larger list online:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

with 117 countries on it and on that list Thailand is ranked 78th. Overall, it’s not that bad, especially when you compare it to the America where you have countries with 52 murders per 100000. 

EEEA2AC4-111D-4876-BF3D-BA065849EF49.jpeg

I don't know what you're yammering about the U.S. homicide rate. In your link it's 5.2, not 52. If you want to select Detroit or South Chicago, then compare that to the worst towns in other countries.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 2

There must also be a lot of shootings without any media coverage. Once in Sukhumvit I saw a man shot and there was nothing mentioned in the news. I guess the person killed just disappears and there is no interest from anyone what happened. Luckily Thai people kill usually for a reason. Not randomly. Dont make anyone mad. I remember when that US guy was killed because he refused to pay few extra baht for taxi.

2 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Seems there are a lot of disgruntled Thai men running amok. Where are the gruntled ones hiding?

I’ve met a number of very decent Thais over the years who are beyond anything like this. But there is clearly an issue with mommy’s boy types and manchildren possibly through being pampered and never put right when they did wrong. These misfits are in every country of course though Thailand does seem to have its fair share. 

3 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Has no one every wondered why the Thai news media focuses on crime and car accidents? Number one is to distract the public from the more important things like political unrest and corruption. Secondly, if they can keep the public in fear from robbers, murderers and drug addicts, they can justify such a huge police force and secure their positions so they can keep the corruption gravy train rolling down the tracks. Why do you think the police line up to have their photographs taken after they take these scoundrels into custody? They must continue to perpetuate the pubic perception that the much needed police are heroes and are here to protect the citizenry against all the dregs of society, so they are a much needed institution. It's all just camouflage! The protection of the citizenry is way down the list of priorities, and bribes and corruption are number 1.

Few Thai I know have the public perception you suggest !

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:
5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Guns and Thais same as cars and Thais hopeless and untrustworthy with either hang the lunatic ????Rip 

Expand  

Same could be said for Americans... 

So anybody with a gun or car in either country should be jailed. Or do you recommend immediate execution?

Either way let's apply your verdict to every country on the planet.

Such an elegant and thoughtful solution that will quickly solve our population problem and justice will be served. The world will be safe, at least for a while, for all the noble few who remain to sit in judgment.

No way to know how many will survive trial but it's clear who two of them will be. Well done gentlemen!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1