Chanthaburi shooting spree killer taken on reenactment - fresh details emerge of "brazen killer " Sia Daeng

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the aftermath of one of Thailand's most extraordinary killing sprees of recent years - the gun rampage through the Chanthaburi countryside in Pong Nam Rorn and Soi Dao districts of Prasit "Sia Daeng" Phuthongsuk.

The 48 year old businessman was taken on a reenactment by former immigration chief Pol Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang, now RTP assistant commissioner general. 

Joined by fifty officers the force took Prasit - in flak jacket and helmet - to the Tamoon market where his horror rampage began with two shootings.

It was decided not to take him to two other spots in the countryside of Chanthaburi, eastern/central Thailand, because they were private lands where relatives were waiting and it might not be safe for the suspect. 

TV crews and reporters jostled to hear the words of the unrepentant killer who has said that his four victims deserved to die. 

He said that he had lived with his former wife Wanphen, 49, in her house for about a year. He claimed to have sold a six wheel truck and 8 baht weight of gold to enter into a lamyai business with her.

But their relationship turned sour after she had a go at his parents and they split up.

He said they had gone to the police station where his wife agreed to return 200,000 baht to him but she did not do this. This infuriated him.

5pm1.jpg

So on Sunday he drove his Honda MSX to the market after hearing that she would be there and waited to ambush her.

He saw her arrive in her Toyota Fortuner and crossed the road as she got out of the driver's seat.

He went up to her and said: "Jam Goo Daii Mai" - Do you f*%&ing remember me?

He shot her once in the body that felled her then finished her off with a shot to the head. He then calmly picked up her car keys.

He got in the vehicle where her daughter Oraya or "Bow" was sitting in the passenger seat in the front. He shot her three times.

sd.jpg

Then, with Bow still in the car dead, he drove off to a lamyai (longan) orchard where he had a score to settle with Theerachart,44.

Theerachart had taken out loans with his parents that he had not repaid. He claimed that Theerachart had even bought a new car rather than pay off his debts.

He was shot twice.

Then it was off to a property 25 kilometers away to see Bunruam, 48, who he shot multiple times. 

He said that Bunruam had sold him a gun for 17,000 baht that turned out to be a BB gun. Prasit wanted his money back but Bunruam refused.

When he refused to even return 7,000 baht Prasit harbored a grudge that festered. 

Thai Rath described both the male victims as "friends" of the shooter who used a .38 gun in his rampage.

After shooting Bunruam, Prasit drove 10 kilometers to a bar where he opened a bottle of spirits and started drinking.

He called his 18 year old daughter to come and pick him up and help him flee but at that moment the police arrived and he was taken into custody on murder and weapons charges.

Sompong said that he was asked by the RTP chief to ensure the case was being handled properly as it was a brazen case in the public interest.

The suspect is set to appear in court today. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-01

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I can forgive money I have lent (and have done so many times) .... my decision to lend and I accept that and people needed some help ..... ond faulty goods .... I should have checked them. But harm my daughter and there is a very high price to pay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think that any where in the world, when someone kills multiple people, the only sentence should be

the death sentence.  It is too bad that so many countries have ended capital punishment, or the death sentence,

as it is considered to be a barbaric act. Killers like this who are only given jail sentences, do not deserve to

stay among the living. Sadly I live in a country that does not even have a death sentence no matter how

many people are killed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

Lots of 'factual details' considering he hasn't been to court yet!

But I agree with others, in that this scumbag deserves what's coming to him.

Scumbag deserves what's coming to him? Heck, things would be alright if that had been the case.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Only one thing to do with crazed people like this so they never reoffend ! The death penalty

I am not normally a capital punishment advocate but it may be appropriate in a case like this. Whether revenge killings or mindless school shootings in the US, people do it because they are following role models of previous shooters that they obviously see as heroes. If they see the shooter being disposed of by society in a humiliating way, rather than disappear into the prison system, they might not see their idols as so heroic.  Anyway this guy wouuld clearly do it all again, if given the chance but will not, if executed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Real Name Hidden said:

The biggest problem with capital punishment is that juries make mistakes

Agreed but not much risk of mistakes in this case and Thailand has never had jury trials.

Edited by Dogmatix

9 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I am not normally a capital punishment advocate but it may be appropriate in a case like this. Whether revenge killings or mindless school shootings in the US, people do it because they are following role models of previous shooters that they obviously see as heroes. If they see the shooter being disposed of by society in a humiliating way, rather than disappear into the prison system, they might not see their idols as so heroic.  Anyway this guy wouuld clearly do it all again, if given the chance but will not, if executed.

You get the same result by imprisoning him for life. In a Thai jail.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

Lots of 'factual details' considering he hasn't been to court yet!

But I agree with others, in that this scumbag deserves what's coming to him.

And I say that those who defrauded it, ALL WHO defrauded it, deserve their fate 100 times over. Repeated scams make murderers.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't sound much of a businessman. Seems to get ripped off on every deal he does and rides around on an MSX. 

Either way, this was obviously a massive over-reaction by a very unstable individual, especially killing the daughter who had nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. As for the other victims, not paying back debts is the equivalent of stealing (a very cowardly way of stealing but stealing nonetheless) and I live by the rule "If it ain't yours, don't take it". 

If you steal from people you might get away with it. You might get a good kicking or in extreme cases you might get shot (especially in Thailand). Any Thai knows the risks of ripping people off here and it seems three of the four victims in this case decided to take that risk.

Hopefully the perpertrator goes away for life and some other people think twice before ripping off others and their parents.

• Thanks 1