Wealthy foreigners to own small landholdings associated with homes here agreed in principle

webfact

4 minutes ago, generealty said:

Ralf001 - My my who got out of the wrong side of the bed then ?

Surely if one committed to the country by laying down a wad of hard earned on land and house then progressing from immigrant visa to PR is within their plans and achievable within 10 years.

Or did I misread Hotchilli's post and he expects PR  to be given on a silver platter ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

There is stuff in that article that may apply to you that wasn't included in the bit snipped/pasted in the OP.

Stuff like:
"In the last week, changes first introduced on October 1st last by the Ministry of Public Health in respect of enhanced requirements for any foreigner applying for an O/A Retirement visa were highlighted by Thai officials and international embassies.

This means that those applying for this retirement visa type, which should be differentiated from the normal O Non-Immigrant Retirement visa, must show hospital inpatient insurance of $100,000 or ฿3.4 million, an increase from the previous requirement of ฿400,000.

Higher medical coverage requirements for O-A retirement visa option but now Immigration Bureau will also accept self-insurance for those with assets

However, the Thai Immigration Bureau has, at the same time, provided an option for applicants to self insure provided that they have adequate capital and income available.

New health insurance regime for retirees living in Thailand means foreign firms can provide cover

The critical requirement for this option is to show ฿3 million in available assets including cash in the bank, available financial assets or ownership of property.

It is also understood that Immigration Bureau officers are authorised to accept evidence to show that any hospital bills will be paid for by sources from abroad.

This would apply to insurance provided to foreign retirees by their national governments or services in their home country.

The evidence requirement will mean that written documentation must be provided and certified by the foreigner’s embassy in Thailand.

New regulations do not yet impact the more popular Non-Immigrant O visas for marriage and retirement

These new arrangements do not impact current requirements for non Immigrant O visas or extensions either for marriage or retirement visas for now but may signal future intentions by the government which have also been regularly aired publicly by senior officials.

(So - rich Chinese in, old (white) retirees out. (Kind of like the "good guys in, bad guys out" motto of Immigration eh ?)

So my understanding of this is that Perm Residents do not require health insurance??

Is that right?

I have Defence Vet cover for ongoing disabilities, but they are specific in nature. I'd fly back to Australia for anything major as it's free.

So I'm not really interested in insurance anyway.

44 minutes ago, bwanajohn said:

After seeing what happened to foreigners allowed to buy land in Sri Lanka and Malaysia I always thought the Thai government did us a solid by not allowing foreigners to buy land here. 

Did you a solid? Must be some American slang. When I think of solid I think of stool. So, yes....in that case Thailand gave you a lot of solids 

• Haha 1

Since you can buy a house, or buy land and build a house now, through using a Thai limited company, and sell it again later if you want, I don't see what the big deal is with "owning" land in the western sense? Just seems like a topic to complain about even though you can achieve 'almost' the same results under current rules. I know dozens of people here that own their houses through a Thai limited company arrangement. Some have recently sold their property and moved on. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Don't get excited.....There will be loads of requirement to be met, in the small chance this goes through...

Well half a million USD invested (not in the home) and 80k USD per annum income for the under 50s and 250k usd invested and 40k per annum for the over 50s means most will just howl how its not for them.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Don't get excited.....There will be loads of requirement to be met, in the small chance this goes through...

It's not yet approved.

And it must be published in the royal gazette to be absolutely approved.

Wait and see.

Edited by scorecard

1 Rai or 0.4 acres is 17400 sq/ft   

That is a tiny plot barely big enough to put a house on.  You wouldn't have any space for a garden.  

So I expect if it happens it will consist of Moobans with tiny houses with no gardens, with each "owner" owning the tiny parcel of land their house sits on. 

Also never forget that 'Foreigners' does not mean exclusively Westerners.   This is more likely to be aimed at a million Asians than a million Whiteys.

Dimensions that equal 17,400 sq2 (rounded to 2 digits)
131.91 ft x 131.91 ft
118.72 ft x 146.56 ft
105.53 ft x 164.88 ft
92.34 ft x 188.43 ft
79.15 ft x 219.84 ft
65.95 ft x 263.84 ft
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting... they want to attract wealthy foreigners and only allow them a plot of one rai. That's what a wealthy person's home (and land) looks like...

image.jpeg.32a0f14394b62dd579fc9dd6edb7d4ad.jpeg

I'm sure it will also be in gated communities as previously mentioned with houses close to each others.

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

There is stuff in that article that may apply to you that wasn't included in the bit snipped/pasted in the OP.

Stuff like:
"In the last week, changes first introduced on October 1st last by the Ministry of Public Health in respect of enhanced requirements for any foreigner applying for an O/A Retirement visa were highlighted by Thai officials and international embassies.

This means that those applying for this retirement visa type, which should be differentiated from the normal O Non-Immigrant Retirement visa, must show hospital inpatient insurance of $100,000 or ฿3.4 million, an increase from the previous requirement of ฿400,000.

Higher medical coverage requirements for O-A retirement visa option but now Immigration Bureau will also accept self-insurance for those with assets

However, the Thai Immigration Bureau has, at the same time, provided an option for applicants to self insure provided that they have adequate capital and income available.

New health insurance regime for retirees living in Thailand means foreign firms can provide cover

The critical requirement for this option is to show ฿3 million in available assets including cash in the bank, available financial assets or ownership of property.

It is also understood that Immigration Bureau officers are authorised to accept evidence to show that any hospital bills will be paid for by sources from abroad.

This would apply to insurance provided to foreign retirees by their national governments or services in their home country.

The evidence requirement will mean that written documentation must be provided and certified by the foreigner’s embassy in Thailand.

New regulations do not yet impact the more popular Non-Immigrant O visas for marriage and retirement

These new arrangements do not impact current requirements for non Immigrant O visas or extensions either for marriage or retirement visas for now but may signal future intentions by the government which have also been regularly aired publicly by senior officials.

(So - rich Chinese in, old (white) retirees out. (Kind of like the "good guys in, bad guys out" motto of Immigration eh ?)

The government text says that self-insurance (for non-immigrant O-A visas) will be accepted for those who can provide documentary evidence of having been rejected by insurers.  So you must still apply for insurance and only if rejected, because of age or pre-existing conditions, can you benefit from self-insurance assuming you meet the other conditions.

Another "sounds great" idea that even if it comes to fruition will undoubtedly have too

many caveats for "smart" buyers.  Give them a 5/10 year visa, let them buy property, then

don't allow an extension of that visa and give them like a year (sorta like property left to a

foreign spouse when Thai spouse dies and one has a year to sell the property which also

has to be approved by the FM).  Will be interesting I am sure to see the final bill if passed.