‘We want them back’: at Lunar New Year, Thailand pines for Chinese tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Normally, people that get rich have enough sense to create loss protection and side businesses as well as making good investments.

This mindset does not apply to your average Somchai, it's quite to the contrary actually.

We see them across the country burning their wages on payday then crawling around and begging for "help" and resorting to loans/pawns the next remaining 29 days of the month.

In this country it's all about the instant, it's right here, right now, quick, make a quick buck, they even say it themselves in pidgin English "tomorrow may not come".

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 2

With US$6,000 a day before Covit, the owners should actually have sufficient financial reserves and should be able to change their business model accordingly and adapt it to the new circumstances.

In fact, the Thais who don't have a villa on the beach and live hand to mouth suffer much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

No one wants the Chinese back (not racists-just behavior).  Not one person I know does.

Quite ridiculous statement. Are you citizen of the country? And please disclose to us who do you know...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

This, at 2000%. There's a reason why they are called the "zero baht tourist", because they effectively spend 0 baht on Thai soil during their journey. Everything is all inclusive, fully pre-paid back in the home country, including local transportations etc (hence why so many of their busses are clogging in front of Wat Chai Mongkol in Pattaya).

You are correct which is why the Thailand and China government cracked down on this 5 years ago. Thailand see no benefit in tourist revenues and China see criminality like money laundering. A case of a zero baht tour operator jailed for 7 years in the Thailand crackdown show the concern to stop this kind of tourists.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

The headline and article is ridiculous.  No one wants the Chinese back (not racists-just behavior).  Not one person I know does.  Everyone wants the money back.  That's what the headline should read. "We want the Money Back".  

Well their money won't be coming without them so the difference is not important. Perhaps China wants to keep its money locked in too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saanim said:
2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

No one wants the Chinese back (not racists-just behavior).  Not one person I know does.

Quite ridiculous statement. Are you citizen of the country? And please disclose to us who do you know...

I guess some people want the Chinese back.  It's just that no one I personally know what them back.  Just to clarify - full disclosure.   Yes, I live here and have many Thai friends and neighbors, some in the restaurant and diving industry.  They would rather have the Europeans, American, Canadians, Japanese, Koreans back.  They just behave better and don't shout.  I just thought the whole article completely ridiculous the way it was worded.  Lot's of other people have money to spend, not just the Chinese.  they are not Nirvana

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

For someone unknown reason you are again as you always do attacking any poster who disagrees with you.

Your post is irrelevant, meaningless and just plain childish.

Interestingly you choose to attack my post but not others who share the same opinion as me.

You remind me of a schoolyard bully who picks upon someone you perceive to be weak to cover up their own inadequacies.

If you felt that I targeted you, I apologize. I have to acknowledge your laughing emoji to my post and also you posted quoting me. Anyway, I have been polite in my posting and refrain from ad-hominem quotes. 

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The only good thing about covid is no Chinese tourists here in Pattaya.

We prefer to see around - beside the Thai people - only falangs, they are always so acceptable, likeable and not so noisy, not to speak about how clean they are...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I do not believe this statement as I have observed mainland Chinese tourists in Thailand. Generally speaking they spend the least on tourism while in Thailand and have lots of pre arranged tours and meals where the venues are owned by Chinese and are pre paid in the home country!! Like it or not Thailand need Farang, Japanese, Singaporean, Taiwanese, Korean etc type tourists. 

There are 56 ethnics of mainland Chinese, some of them are also in Taiwan.

But we like the Taiwanese most of all, they are so different, aren't they? (because they are our allies? - almost)   

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Nothing against individual travelers from China or small groups.

But please remember: It was these huge, locust-swarm-like tour groups that brought you so much trouble in the recent past, causing many among you to huff, puff and whine incessantly and breaking out in racist slurs how bad, misbehaved, dirty and uncultured they all supposedly were.

> Your famed Maya beach had to be closed for environmental rehabilitation because of them.

> Environmental scientists moaned they were responsible for destroying the few intact coral reefs Thailand has left.

> The famed White Temple in Chiang Rai was closed by its owner because Chinese tourists broke off pieces of sculpture as souvenirs, washed their feet and clothes in the temple's public wash basins and toilet bowls and (probably because the latter were occupied by feet washers) urinated and defecated elsewhere in the temple grounds.

> Restaurant owners complained to locals newspapers about Chinese locust swarms' unruly behavior at buffets, with even brawls breaking out occasionally.

> Other restaurant proprietors gave themselves disgusted at the after-dinner state of their localities, whose floors frequently resembled landfills after the "guests" had left.

> And countless other tales about noisy and unruly Chinese, trampled or picked-clean ornamental flower beds in public parks, littered beaches, trashed or soiled hotel rooms, damaged rental vehicles and sports equipment, urine and saliva stains in hotel elevators, etc. etc.

Well, at least one woman on Koh Larn island, a destination that has by now been permanently changed from a former nature paradise to a veritable trash dump thanks to the locusts, will be happy when the swarms return. Because then she can cash in again, big time. Somehow I have the hunch that she is of Chinese descent.

But don't be too jubilant too soon, dear hospitality operators. After all, your government has announced concrete plans to transform the country into an exclusive high-end-only tourist destination. That is going to seriously whittle down the number of Chinese arrivals, I suppose. But I am not holding my breath yet.       

So not the Thai authority fault for not having better management of the sites. That’s quite a change from the usual Thai government bashing. 

7 hours ago, orchidfan said:

As a HK permanent resident,  I read that they are reducing the quarantine to 14 days after February 5th??

Yes. My family is from Hong Kong also. But, I think this is more about some olive branch to the exodus of talent from HK as people can't effectively travel for business or see any overseas family without it being crippling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

The only one good thing about this Chinese flu is there are no Chinese here. 

What are the bathtub seats for. So they can use them as a hong nam instead of the swimming pool

The car wheel can also be a substitute for hong nam like the Brit in Changmai????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

All the diving/snorkeling sites full of chinese standing on the corals. In practice, it had become off-limits for non-chinese tour participants.

What a nightmare.

Sounds like the damaging disaster they unleashed on Sihanoukville, Cambodia. They turned the town into a chinese-only monstrosity.

• Sad 1