Expensive car, lots of downsides or ok?

Hal65

I wanted to get a sense of the potential downsides of an expensive car in Pattaya (or elsewhere in Thailand). Do they tend to draw police scrutiny beyond just stopping you for tickets/small bribes? That I can handle. What I'm more curious about is if they're known to start following rich foreigners, tapping their phones, searching their homes etc. I don't have anything to hide but I don't want a bunch of police hassle if a (very) nice car is likely to cause that.

• Sad 1

Lambo Aventador custom build. There's a cottage industry that does them in Bangkok. I know some people think it's dumb but I don't care. Other than possible unwanted police attention.

You will probably find an expensive car actually gets more deference in Thailand, as most people think you are wealthy and therefore not to be messed with.

Expensive cars = expensive servicing and spare parts. Financially, it's more sensible to own a cheaper, reliable brand.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Expensive cars = expensive servicing and spare parts. Financially, it's more sensible to own a cheaper, reliable brand.

Who can buy an expensive car usually does not have to fear the higher maintenace and spar parts costs.

OP, you won't have a problem at checkpoints with a car like this. They will treat you more carefully than others becouse as a "rich" guy, you could havew connections to higher ranking people.

• Like 1

Last time I was in Bangkok I saw somebody driving a McLaren of all things ! Nice car but totally wasted on Thailands roads. If I was going to be suspicious of anybody it would be that bloke.

As others have posted , top end Mercs or BMWs are as common as muck in Bangkok. Nobody takes any notice.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Until a motorcycle crashed against one door and he needed a new door. It took many weeks before the new door arrived...

After that he bought a nice Japanese car which was more common in Thailand and without supply problems.

Think twice before buying an imported car not assembled in Thailand.

Not only spare parts but also repairs of high tech gadgets etc. can't be done around the corner.

BMW and Mercedes assembled in Thailand may be better with spare parts. But certain repairs only at the rare brand workshops.

Edited by KhunBENQ

About police checks etc. I agree: much LESS likely that you will be harassed.

Equip with well visible 360° cam with microphone ????

Buy a pickup, overload it, put some people on the back and have 100% guarantee to be stopped.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Who can buy an expensive car usually does not have to fear the higher maintenace and spar parts costs

And has a second car while waiting for spare part from overseas ????

I remember the case of an Italian super racecar where a mechanic from Italy had to be flown in.

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Think twice before buying an imported car not assembled in Thailand.

Not only spare parts but also repairs of high tech gadgets etc. can't be done around the corner.

BMW and Mercedes assembled in Thailand may be better with spare parts. But certain repairs only at the rare brand workshops.

Some people, including the guy I knew, didn't really care about the cost. He was the top manager of a multinational company and it was a company car serviced by BMW. Even BMW didn't have the parts which he needed in Thailand or anywhere nearby. They had to be imported, probably from Germany. Even "I don't care how much it cost" didn't change anything on that situation. 

48 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Who can buy an expensive car usually does not have to fear the higher maintenace and spar parts costs.

OP, you won't have a problem at checkpoints with a car like this. They will treat you more carefully than others becouse as a "rich" guy, you could havew connections to higher ranking people.

Have been all over thailand several times, total 150k maybe since I start driving here, only the last covid period 85 k. Never had a problem in any check points with my budget Triton Mitsubushi, neither when driving budget big bikes. 

Even when giving speed tickets, everyone is polite, smiling and very helpful. Even got discounted speed tickets one time. Quantum discount for all of us with reciept. 

I have a 2 seater Porsche sports car

The cost of maintenance isnt as bad as you might think as the parts are more expensive but the labor is so cheap.  In the west you’re paying a couple of hundred dollars or pounds per hour for labor which adds up really fast.  I recently had work done which had the car in 2 days, so several hours work, and total labor was 1600 baht

Its completely true that it’s really common to take a long time to get parts.  I had an even rarer car before that was even worse so I’m used to it, but If you absolutely depend on the car, get a different one.

Super car parking is nice but not really a big deal compared to walking a few extra meters

i find service good in most places in Thailand anyway and haven’t really noticed getting treated better because of the car.

I do find funny that every now and then a woman will look in the car and make eye contact and flick their hair as I drive by.  Haven’t yet stopped to see where that would lead though 

I haven’t been stopped by police in a very long time, but my last car was also expensive so dont know whether the Porsche is deterring the police more at all.  It’s certainly not attracting them 

i enjoy driving the car and no real problems

19 minutes ago, Theyreallrubbish said:

I have a 2 seater Porsche sports car

The cost of maintenance isnt as bad as you might think as the parts are more expensive but the labor is so cheap.  In the west you’re paying a couple of hundred dollars or pounds per hour for labor which adds up really fast.  I recently had work done which had the car in 2 days, so several hours work, and total labor was 1600 baht

Its completely true that it’s really common to take a long time to get parts.  I had an even rarer car before that was even worse so I’m used to it, but If you absolutely depend on the car, get a different one.

Super car parking is nice but not really a big deal compared to walking a few extra meters

i find service good in most places in Thailand anyway and haven’t really noticed getting treated better because of the car.

I do find funny that every now and then a woman will look in the car and make eye contact and flick their hair as I drive by.  Haven’t yet stopped to see where that would lead though 

I haven’t been stopped by police in a very long time, but my last car was also expensive so dont know whether the Porsche is deterring the police more at all.  It’s certainly not attracting them 

i enjoy driving the car and no real problems

Take an illegal right turn and you might find out how fast MrBIB can run …

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Last time I was in Bangkok I saw somebody driving a McLaren of all things ! Nice car but totally wasted on Thailands roads. If I was going to be suspicious of anybody it would be that bloke.

As others have posted , top end Mercs or BMWs are as common as muck in Bangkok. Nobody takes any notice.

I reckon the Mclaren would be a blast ripping it up the 7 from Bkk to Rayong.

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Lambo Aventador custom build. There's a cottage industry that does them in Bangkok. I know some people think it's dumb but I don't care. Other than possible unwanted police attention.

So you are really wanting to buy a 'knock off' of an expensive car.  Looks good, but if standing next to it, when running, people will hear, or not, something like a VW engine under the heavily tinted rear hood.

Make sure you are wearing your Rolex on your right wrist, to impress the officer at the checkpoint.  If asked to exit the vehicle, good God, please have real Crocs on, and not the fakes.  Image is everything .... 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, JAS21 said:

Take an illegal right turn and you might find out how fast MrBIB can run …

I wont do that then ????

Apart from speeding on empty roads I'm pathologically rule abiding.  I'm the kind of guy that waits on a red light at 3 am in the middle of nowhere with no other cars in a 5 mile radius

When in the UK I used to drive sports cars as "workhorses" (mostly 911s, bought new, changed every 2 years, 40,000 miles in 2 years).

Commuting to London, within the "M4 corridor" and foreign business trips (Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, etc.). Actually, door-2-door Thames Valley region to Paris downtown journeys were quicker by car than by plane... And more fun !

In Bangkok, due, mostly, to the road conditions, I've made another choice: MB GLC. Quite happy with it! The use is different, commuting to Bangkok downtown, going to BKK airport and the occasional long weekends and holidays.

Did I notice any change of behavior linked to the car. i drive.. I'm not sure, and, to be very honest, I don't care!

Don’t think too much!

Expensive cars are not a problem in Thailand - and in my experience not Police magnets (911). I have never had any police issues here.

Driving in Thailand is fine , but if I was planning on spending all of my time around Pattaya - an expensive car would be ok - just not a sports car.

I have been driving a Ferrari 328GTS for some years.

The car has two really outstanding characteristics:

1. Social Impact

2. Road Grip

Not even acceleration makes it to the list above as you might maybe think.

The rest is impractical as can be, extremely road surface sensitive, difficult to park (back window size, lacking power steering while having an unusual big diameter of the steering wheels rim - saves you the membership in a fitness club). Spare parts are ridiculously expensive. I remember having broken the rear bumper bar twice (the bumper is made of acryl (!) - it just cracks - great design but a bumper should maybe be a bit flexible. After starting the car up, gear two could not immediately be shifted into. Brought it to the garage and they said: It's a Ferrari. Obviously there was nothing to be fixed here. After 3 Minutes it worked again as it should have been from the beginning. Forget driving on a Thai road with the front spoiler that low, you will scratch or even break it on a bit more steep ramp into a parking. And it is for good weather only. I once accidentally hit a snow storm at the end of the drving season (I lived in Switzerland) on the highway. 1. Could nearly not see anything anymore because the light lightend up the snow flakes that all you saw was "white". 2. The otherwise sensational road grip went down to status "very dangerous". I will never forget that a Citroen 2CV did pass me on the highway - not because I wanted to, but because I simply could not go any faster than I did.

But I do not regret having owned it at all. I finally even made a profit by selling it.

And one word about "Social Impact": No bragging here. I once parked at a petrol station and the father with his son from the gas pump opposite came over to ask "May he sit in the car one time" ? Cute and absolutely natural. Forgot once my wallet when I bought some drinks in a wholesale market (Italian owned). They told me: " But Mr. moogradod - you do not have to pay NOW ????). That sort of thing.

Road grip: Not an ordinary experience - like the tyres were made of chewing gum.

Edited by moogradod

On 2/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, Paulaew said:

If you're talking a Lambo or a Maserati, your problem will be with the women, not the police. Women will think you're extremely wealthy, and expectations will be set accordingly.

I drive an ordinary Toyota, and only my wife asks me for money. But even she doesn't know how much money I have.

Paul Laew

Oh you cunning beast 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, blackcab said:

My last company car was a Mercedes S class, which I regularly drove myself in Bangkok.

Absolutely nobody looked twice, apart from other foreigners.

I was stopped at routine police alcohol checkpoints, but no problem as I don't drink and drive.

Nobody is going to tap your phone or search your home unless you are doing something extremely bad indeed.

Bangkok maybe , but out in the sticks , not a good idea to own and drive a expensive import .

On 2/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Are you sure this thread isn't just about you buying an expensive car?

Or more probably, "Are you sure this thread isn't just about you not-so-subtly bragging about buying an expensive car and thinking anyone will be interested or impressed?"!  The OP, that is, not you.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1