They left too early and nothing to show

georgegeorgia

58 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You say he must have wasted his life , but I doubt he would say that,

much better been here when you are younger , than arriving much

later in life, when you cannot get it up.......????

regards Worgeordie

Well, I don't think I could get it up at all on 30000 a month. I waited until I was entitled to my full pension at 62. Now, seven years later, with over a quarter of million a month, and some magic blue pills life is great. A vigorous income here has the greatest sex appeal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not unusual for aussies to go back for 2 years to get that pension, must feel like a lost 2 years.

At 28 after a year of travelling I could of stayed in Thailand and work as scuba dive instructor, good life but poor money, glad i didnt, went back to work in London in financial services which enabled me to retire early

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many people with skills can live happily every after in Thailand and many other places. People without skills and without business knowledge mostly can't do that. What a surprise. Or maybe not?

But then again it is everybody's personal choice what they want to do. If they want to live i.e. with 30k per month in Thailand for years and then have no money and then they return to their home countries that is up to them.

Carpe diem

And many continue to shed the usual bitterness and naivete as it is so promptly shown among venues like this.

Dullards rule. 

• Thanks 1

Planning is everything.   Those who don't ... oh well ????

Quite enjoyed / enjoying my 20+ years living here.   If thinking about it, may regret not leaving the USA sooner.  But don't stress over 'should have, would have, could have' scenarios.

This part of the OP's post, would fall under the uncommon common sense, many don't seem to have, then cry when it hits the fan ... ????

"but if you are leaving a secure job, and you are say under 50 with not much money ....dont do it"

OP commenting negatively, on something has no 1st hand knowledge of.  Only from the 'stories' of folks he may or may not know, who have failed, vs the millions that have succeeded at it.  hmm .... nuff said.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

You say he must have wasted his life , but I doubt he would say that,

much better been here when you are younger , than arriving much

later in life, when you cannot get it up.......????

regards Worgeordie

To every single soul that ask me about life in Thailand I tell them to come when they are young.

Long airplane rides get harder to handle and recover from.  Living in less developed places ... while younger you pretty easily navigate weird sidewalks, badly designed bathrooms, lower quality mattresses, wonky climate control (whether it be heat or AC), crowded unclean buses, etc.  When older, physically, these minor annoyances and rough edges, can become real obstacles. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And how did your clients fare? 

That for a large part depends on how the stockmarket goes. I worked as the head of backoffice and IT at a stock traders office. They serviced clients and traded for them. I saw profits and losses it made me lose faith in the abilities of stock traders. These guys also had personal portfolio's they traded for and even those did not see huge increases (more like losses) in the downturn. 

One of the traders often did trades just for the commission, these guys made a lot of money. It was not unheard of to see two guys in the same office take opposite views of how the market or a certain share would move and acted accordingly. It was not a really large company i believe 7 traders if i recall. 

So id say everyone does well when the stock exchange goes up, most do bad when it goes down. And sure you can speculate that it goes down with options and stuff like that. But in general this was what i saw. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Russell is contacting us to ask for money .

It's ok to say no.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

but he has no where to stay ,can he stay at my apartment with me ?

Again, it's ok to say no.

To me, mates are few and far between, i.e. you can only count them on one hand, takes years of growing with them, knowing their make up, what makes them tick and visa versa, and over those years you both get respect each other and form a bond and become loyal to each other, sort of like brothers, without the fights.

Only ever had a mate ask me once for a leg up when a payment for goods to his business was held up in China, he asked me for $100K, if I didn't think he was worthy of paying it back, I wouldn't have lent it to him and yes there was a risk involved, however I knew the guy well, very well.

I do not lend money to anyone period, and often say no, I don't provide a reason and if a person persists, I tell them that is my rule, burnt once, twice three times, so I don't do it anymore and if they can't accept that, I can't help them.

But when it comes to that handful of mates I will do what I can for them, whether that is putting them up or lending them money, but these types of mates takes years if not decades to form the bond as mates, not to be confused with your casual affiliations, and I know if I needed something tomorrow they would do the same for me.

You can pick and choose your friends, but mates are in the game for the long haul, again, not to confuse them with the guys you have been drinking with for a few years at the local waterhole, or been on an overseas trip with.

So say no and move along, as for moving to Thailand, agree, if your not financial, best you don't, but not everyone wants to wait till they are financial and that is there choice, all you have to do is when they put in that call is say no, and no need to apologise for their decision to move to Thailand earlier than later.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I dont know about the OP and what his motivations for the thread are but there are some things he says that I agree with. 

Don't come to Thailand  until you are ready, your needs when you are young are not the same as when you will be older. You need to prepare for the winter otherwise  when winter (old age ) comes you will not fair well. 

It reminds me the story of the cricket and the ant. We all know the story. 

I cringe when I hear , I will sell the house  and car, quit my job and with the proceeds finance my escape to Thailand. Then when things don't work out or an emergency occurs and you need to return,  you are up the creek without a paddle.

We all want tp escape. So did I, but i stuck it out, put in my time, paid my dues,.

Now both US and Thai houses mortgage free, trade union pension fully vested, above average social security, and sitting pretty. 

Nothing worst than to be retired and not have the money to do the things you want to do, IMO , And as I said, god forbid you have problems when you get old , as many of us do. 

Largely dependent on the familial connections and company one wishes to keep. 

Some will always be engaged in being a foreigner. 

Edited by zzaa09

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My Brit pal was dying of AIDs a few years back.

I offered him my spare bedroom in Chiang Mai if he could get back here (he had a decent pension).

It's what friends do for each other, sadly he never left  the UK hospital and died there after nearly a year.

I retired in the UK at age 45, was divorced by my Brit wife at 52.

Discovered Thailand during my divorce and never went back.

Not worked a day since my divorce.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage financially when retiring at 45 and dealing with a (I assume expensive) divorce in your early 50s ?

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Nothing worst than to be retired and not have the money to do the things you want to do, IMO , And as I said, god forbid you have problems when you get old , as many of us do. 

As an old 65+ man, all the things I want to do are done from a sofa in front of the TV.

I don't really need much money for that, but it's nicer in a country where I can have the doors and windows open all day.

5 minutes ago, realfunster said:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage financially when retiring at 45 and dealing with a (I assume expensive) divorce in your early 50s ?

I left work at 45 with  ........... 1 years tax free salary and a company pension.

Then moved from Oxford to a much larger but much cheaper house in Cornwall (both houses without a mortgage). 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As an old 65+ man, all the things I want to do are done from a sofa in front of the TV.

I don't really need much money for that, but it's nicer in a country where I can have the doors and windows open all day.

Not everyone is the same, I am almost 65 myself but,

I am a cant sit still kind of guy, I am always involved in some project and when I start working I hate to stop, even to eat,

wife is constantly calling me to come and eat and I am always "10 more minutes" LOL.

I also like to travel. If you want to punish me, make me do nothing, I would probably lose my mind.

When I was in collage my brother got me a job covering for the doormen as they went on vacation in the summer, at a posh  park avenue building, The money were very good, and there were tips, The job involved just sitting there , opening the door, being pleasant to people, and getting a cab, if it was raining, holding an umbrella. In the evening shifts some times I would go for hours not seeing a person.

You would think "great job" sitting there doing nothing and getting great money.

I thought I would go out of my mind!! Next summer when they called me back , I told them "not on your life." ????

• Haha 1