Will Western tourists ever go off visiting Thailand?

webfact

Guest Isaanlife
5 hours ago, Prometheus33 said:

There were criticisms in the past and shall continue from a few "unhappy" travelers  /tourists/expats . But , let us face it, none of the other destinations , Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore (?!), Philippines, Dubai (?!) etc. etc. Well, none match what Thailand has to offer. What more, there is NO mass exodus of Westerners from Thailand ( a wishful think-aloud of the disgruntled few !!)

Yes, Thailand needs to streamline, make-easy a few stringent rules it has put in place because of the pandemic. And this is likely to happen sooner than expected (hopefully) .

So, enjoy , live , be happy   .. life is  beautiful , let us make the journey a merry tale  for ourselves, for those with us and for posterity to smile  ... 

It was heck of a ride !!

None have what Thailand has to offer?

Obviously you have never been to those other places to make a comment like that.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"In the UK we already see all restrictions being removed by the end of February which is just 3 weeks away".

Do you mean "all" the restrictions? Exactly the way it was before the pandemic started? Again, I hope you are right.

That's what I read. All restrictions will end, no more self isolation, nothing - it's apparently being treated like any other cold, before the end of February.

Maybe they will 'fine tune' the regulations but from what I'm reading it's business as normal again.

I believe due to devolution that there may well continue to be separate rules in Wales and Scotland but who really cares about them

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That's what I read. All restrictions will end, no more self isolation, nothing - it's apparently being treated like any other cold, before the end of February.

Maybe they will 'fine tune' the regulations but from what I'm reading it's business as normal again.

I believe due to devolution that there may well continue to be separate rules in Wales and Scotland but who really cares about them

Apart from  business reasons which have in reality become less justifiable due to electronic  "meetings" if that  was/is a justification who the  hell would want to  travel to the UK  for tourism? Maybe the idiot  US  citizen who  idolizes the "Royalty" that  isn't? The weather is generally....t ! Half the population speaks anything  but English that can be understood !

Guest Isaanlife
5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So, it may take Thailand’s charm, its medical tourism, and even its fledgling Cannabis industry to still lure western travellers here in the future. I am sure many retirees will think twice before settling here in the future as visa and insurance regulations are making it harder to make ends meet.

Some very good points made. One thing is for certain. Nothing will ever return to normal here, with regard to tourism. You can't just open up after two years, and start by offering an expensive 2 day quarantine package, and expect people to return. The TAT made such a big deal about the 25,000 or so signed up on Feb. 1st. They have been absolutely mute since then. Nothing. Guess it is not working out as planned, with the insane projection of 5 million. I think if the cowards relaxed ALL restrictions, they might get 1 million this year. Maybe 2 million in 2023. Maybe 5 million by 2026, or 2028. And never, ever beyond 5 million again. Sorry guys, you slaughtered the Golden goose. It is dead and gone. 

They keep on yapping about getting wealthy expats. This will never happen. The opposite is happening right now. A mass exodus is taking place. A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with trusts and wills for their remaining Thai families, properties, etc. 

He said he has never seen anything like it, in the 30 years he has been in practice here. Woe is Thailand. Where is the hope for the future? 

The dinosaur creeps are moving this nation backwards at a breakneck pace. Truly regressive reptilian leadership. No wonder so many are leaving. Why?

1. Overall, a declining quality of life.

2. An oppressive government that was not sincere about letting go of power. Ever.

3. High prices on most import goods and wine. Crappy selection of beer.

4. Rampant xenophobic on the part of the goons and immigration.

5. A nation in reverse. No hope for a better future here.

6. Extreme timidity and destruction of the economy, many lives and businesses. Please, don't blame Covid. That is only one element.

7. Little in the way of good education available for kids.

8. The sanitization of Thai society, the elimination of anything that resembles character, and the tired, insincere, increasingly fake purity campaigns.

9. The continued environmental destruction and worsening air quality, coupled with no intent of effort to fix anything.

10. The worsening dependence on China. Will Thailand eventually be a communist colony?

Shall I go on?

What these simpletons fail to mention, is that this ranking is really all about the money. Anyone who is wealthy or even affluent, would have little interest in retiring here. So, it is mostly about affordability. And I agree with that. It is reasonable here. Most of us live well, on a relatively modest income or pension.

Good points made.

Every once in a while a person will post the truth about what is going.

There are always the naysayers that have trapped themselves in Thailand that will come flooding out of the woodwork to disagree, however, the facts are the facts.

Declining quality of life. Air pollution is running rampant and any one that thinks this government will come up with a solution is foolish. It will continue to get worse and worse and worse.

The rich taking over Sukhumvit Road, displacing all Thai Vendors and Street food for American fast food joints every 5 feet is not what tourist come to Thailand for. The rich in their quest to be richer, are ruining Thailand.

I agree this government has been the worst and if you control the military, no one can stop you from holding on to power.

Prices cannot stay the same for ever. People on fixed income and low income Thai's will feel the pinch as prices will continue to rise in the future like the rest of the world. (current US inflation is already costing the average American family an additional $380 dollars a month)

When politician's run for office to control state budgets will the sole purpose of putting huge amounts of money in their own pockets, where is the hope for Thailand and the common citizens? Who in the government has ever done anything that benefitted the people short or long term? Why are there more Thai billionaire politicians than anywhere else in the world? Ask yourself why a billionaire wants to be a politician in the first place?

Thailand economy doesn't have a heck of lot to depend on, except acting as slave laborers for most of Asia's manufacturers. We can already see, although the govt never admits to it, the massive influence tourism has on the country. When 40,000,000 tourists don't show up, it hurts every sector of the economy.

Our local Isaan village school? None of the teachers can speak a word of English. Not one pc to be found. Not much hope for them to get out of a never ending cycle of poverty.

Dependence on China. China plays the corruption game. Thailand government officials know they can enrich themselves in the millions and millions playing this game of buying junk from China.

China owns over 50% of the foreign owned condos in Thailand https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/list-china-has-over-50-of-all-foreign-owned-condos-in-thailand

China is Thailand's top source of financial investment. You think China is investing in Thailand out of the kindness of their heart? ~ 9 million Chinese already live in Thailand and don't face near the scrutiny of 100,000 expats.

Ethnic Chinese make up 10 to 14% of Thailand's population. https://factsanddetails.com/asian/cat66/sub418/entry-4306.html

Thailand officials will always be in bed with China and make rules favoring the Chinese as it will only fill their own pockets year after year.

The biggest problem is the government will never, never, never do anything for the people or the country as long as they are enriching themselves with corrupt deals. Why do you think politicians have their own kids overseas in first class schools and most own homes in first world countries? When Thailand goes completely to hell, these politician's will live a cushy life in the west. (Thaksin seems to be doing ok)

The dreamers will always dream Thailand will get better.

The realists understand the game the politicians are playing to enrich themselves so they can live anywhere.

Thailand can only go down hill year and year. Each new set of politicians will only want to enrich themselves.

Guest Isaanlife
1 hour ago, farangnomore said:

So true.  Too many complain, too few leave.

The majority cannot afford to leave and have no where to leave to.

Guest Isaanlife
40 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

That's honest of you.

It's because of people like you warning of the pitfalls, that, hopefully, some of my younger generation will take into account, inflation, currency risk, frozen pensions and health insurance issues as we get older.

Personally, i would rather spend 4-6 months in Thailand and Spring, Autumn in the UK.

Enjoy both options and come and go with a suitcase as required.

I think most people are so excited to move to Thailand, they never give a second thought as to how things might change 20 years into the future.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I care about Scotland. That's my home country.

40 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I use a broker.

You can do things like that when you have money.

I wouldn't want to live in Spain. Sorry.

If you want to live there, that's great.

I can afford to live where i like.

I think that option may not be open to you.

Please send another emoji.

Is there a poor emoji?

If you can afford as you said....why you live in Thailand? For cheap Sex? Or high temps? Or knocked down or robbed? Or poor food? Polluted cities or air? Sure, you can't get it in Spain. 

Btw I doubt anyone who lives in Thailand got as many properties outside as you tell me in a very bragging boasting way. No regrets.????

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 3:48 AM, Isaanlife said:

Disagree.

It is not only Thailand, every country has their own rules and regulations.

Inflation has rising prices all over the globe. People have less money to travel.

The pandemic smacks many into reduced salaries or unemployment.

People have found places closer to home and cheaper.

If you are not after cheap sex, what is the point in going to Thailand?

Nicer beaches all over the world, same lower cost destinations, etc.

agree..except the part about cheap horizontal refreshment...lots of countries where the girls charge less.... Europe for starters many eastern girls working lots of competition..My Mate told me 

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, Hayduke said:

Western tourists will never go off visiting Thailand. In fact, quite the contrary. There are many reasons…

Simple, transparent, user-friendly visa procedures.

Supportive, welcoming, 'jai dee' government.

Uniform and fair application of common sense rules and regulations.

Reasonable prices for all tourist services.

Honesty and integrity of tourist-related businesses.

Unspoiled natural attractions.

Incorruptible security and world-class public safety.

Yes…without question…untold multitudes of well-heeled, free-spending, quality farangs will be soon be arriving...to much TAT fanfare.

How do I go to THAT Thailand?

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:26 AM, pomchop said:

There is a massive built up demand for all kinds of trips worldwide.  If and when covid is under control Thailand and hundreds of other destinations will be flooded with visitors.  Airlines, hotels, cruise ships will all experience business booms for several years until the next calamity hits.

Where did you hear that.  Most tour, travel analysts expect international tourism to remain low for the next few years.  Already the stats show that Europeans are staying in Europe, North Americans there, Asians here.  And what tourism there is will likely increase or decrease with the costs of flights.  Last week I read that airfares are expected to rise by 7% per month over the next year.  The type of global mass tourism qe saw in 2019 is not likely to return soon or rapidly.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:17 AM, Isaan sailor said:

On top of the well-discussed quarantine hurdles, you can now add the rising Baht as a dealbreaker. The higher Baht crimps spending, hurts exports, and should force foreigners to look elsewhere.

Since Feb 2021 to Today the Baht has weakened from 29.8 to 32.7 per USD....  so what period or compared to which currency do you say it has strengthened?

• Like 1